Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boonton, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
New supercharger location under construction at the ACME Markets in Boonton, NJ. It's right off of I-287, about 4 miles north of the I-80 interchange. Boonton doesn't have a grey pin on Tesla's map, so either this is secretly the Wayne, NJ pin or it's never been listed for some reason. Based on location and proximity to on-/off-ramps, it looks like a convenient site for those driving on I-287 who would otherwise have to detour to Parsippany or Rockaway. There isn't too much variety for dining options, especially once the market closes at 11PM. But there's a 24hr Dunkin Donuts in the same center. Plus a bagel shop/deli, a gas station/convenience store, a nearby McDonalds (24hr), and a nearby pizza joint (closes at 3AM).

What: New supercharger location with an unknown number of stalls of an unknown type (but probably traditional-style V2, i.e. 120-150 kW).
Where: 550 Myrtle Ave, Boonton, NJ 07005
GPS: ?? (not sure of exact location in parking lot)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this location in a Planning Board report for Morris County [PDF] (attached screenshot below) and subsequently confirmed with the Planning Board that it was for "Tesla EV charging stations" at the ACME Market. Tesla has recently started using Dewberry, an engineering and professional services company, for some of their supercharger builds (like Black & Veatch or GPD Group). Following up with the Boonton building department to find out whether a permit had been applied for/issued, they let me know that construction had already started. Unfortunately, no one I talked to (including the manager of the ACME) could tell me how many stations were being built.

Anyone local that can swing by to get some pics and help pinpoint the exact spot in the parking lot and number of stalls, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Supercharger- Boonton, NJ_planning board report.JPG

@BlueShift @Chuq

Reasons for averring that this is superchargers, and not destination chargers, even though no one I spoke to explicitly called them that:
  1. The applicant was listed as "Tesla, Inc." which, so far as I know, only happens for superchargers. Destination charging permits/applications are pulled by whichever local electrical contractor is hired to install them. Rarely, but sometimes, that's Tesla. However, when I've seen it done, it's always been under "Tesla Energy Operations" name, not as "Tesla, Inc." or "Tesla Motors".
  2. Dewberry engineering involvement. They're one of the big engineering firms that Tesla uses for design, engineering, support of supercharger builds.
  3. Tesla just last month also started building superchargers at another ACME Markets location in New Jersey. Cape May Courthouse
  4. Location right off a freeway they don't yet have a great supercharger location covering.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Supercharge.info reports site is under construction. Any pictures of the progress?
They're reporting it based on the info this thread. What you see is what you get, so far. I'm currently in the process of posting in the threads for the nearby superchargers to hopefully alert ppl who have those threads watched, asking for someone local to swing past.

EDIT: Just posted in the Parsippany and Rockaway threads. Hopefully we'll get the goods soon-ish.

They're reporting it based on the info this thread. What you see is what you get, so far. I'm currently in the process of posting in the threads for the nearby superchargers to hopefully alert ppl who have those threads watched, asking for someone local to swing past.

EDIT: Just posted in the Parsippany and Rockaway threads. Hopefully we'll get the goods soon-ish.
I'm heading up there now.

• Love
Reactions: mociaf9
They've been ripping up the parking lot at the far side of the Acme for the past few weeks. Just about enough space for a supercharger. I initially dismissed it, as there's one 10mins away in Parsippany.

I can go there and take a pic in 5mins if you want, @JSergeant

Edit:
It’s quite busy with a lot of workers, but looks like they have all the conduits run, cement poured, and some of the actual supercharger units in place. Since I’m on lunch and have nothing better to do on a sunny Friday, I’ll hang out until @JSergeant gets here haha.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s 10 stalls. (5 cabinets).

Update: Talked with the guy on the site, he said they're just about ready to start pulling wire and are waiting on the stations themselves to arrive, once they're installed it's done and ready for the power co to do their thing. Also met a fellow TMC guy who will be posting pics!

Attachments

• 4C2C05A4-D9F1-45F2-9659-7E1D16A9C93A.jpeg
    4C2C05A4-D9F1-45F2-9659-7E1D16A9C93A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Here are some photos. I have marked the map with the Supercharger location. Met Dukeof URL there. As he said, it's 10 stalls - they already have the bases in place. The red rectangle on the map is the location of the transformer pad. This location looks like it has the potential for a lot of ICEing - it's a small, busy lot.
Boonton map.JPG
IMG_2168.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    835.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    786.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Wow, I live in a Supercharger nexus!

Almost equidistant from the Boonton and Parsippany Superchargers, and not far from Rockaway at all.

Of course, I’ll likely never use any of ‘em since I have a HPWC at home. Still great to know that in the event of a long term power outage, I’ve got 3 options that are hopefully all off different parts of the grid.

That said, it’s all JCP&L (Just Can’t Power Lights) territory. Paramus or Kearny are probably the closest in PSE&G land.

Reactions: Boomer543
I stopped by today to take a pic here of the progress (wires pulled, sign posts up, everything except the stalls w/connectors) and there was a truck with a camper parked perpendicularly taking up all 10 spots, hahaha. I’d say that I hope this isn’t indicative of the future, but right now they’re just open spots with nothing else going on.

Looks like it’s down to just Tesla sending the stalls and JCP&L putting the transformer & meter on the pad.