Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boston, MA - Richard B. Ross Way (Fenway/Kenmore)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is very frustrating that all the superchargers around Boston are in paid parking garages. It's rare that these will be convenient. Meanwhile, we still have zero of the 3-4 superchargers on the north shore, some have been in permitting 500+ days.

Not all of the Boston area superchargers are in paid parking garage. South Bay, Dedham and Framingham are all free to park, but we definitely need more superchargers along 128, where they are much more useful than in parking garages in places most people take the T to get to. Fenway is even worse than Back Bay in that regard because of the crazy high event rate ($55) and the congested traffic during Red Sox games. A supercharger along Route 9 in Newton would be also nice, but that's not even on Tesla's map as coming soon.

No chance of ICEing or entitled Tesla owners parking but not charging either.
Never underestimate the possibility of Tesla entitlement... I'm still burned about the a-hole Model X owner who parked, unplugged, for a couple of hours at one of the Chademos at the Burlington Mall just before Christmas last year. I was meeting friends for dinner at Legal Seafoods in the mall, and planned to charge there while we at to avoid stopping on the way home (which just meant less sleep that night).

There are signs indicating a free Wi-Fi in the garage which my phone could pick up near the superchargers. I don't know if it was there before or if it was added along with the superchargers. Presumably you should be able to connect the car to this network.
This is great - I didn't see those signs on my way in, or near the supercharger itself (but I wasn't looking for it either).

The only free parking garage in Boston that I know of, South Bay, has already a supercharger, but it does not have 24/7 access. If you want free parking and 24/7 access near Boston, you have to go to Dedham. If you also want 24/7 amenities you won't find any in Massachusetts.

Actually the supercharger in Hadley are located in a 24/7 gas station / convenience store, but that's about 100 miles from Boston. There are closer superchargers to Boston in New Hampshire.

Never underestimate the possibility of Tesla entitlement... I'm still burned about the a-hole Model X owner who parked, unplugged, for a couple of hours at one of the Chademos at the Burlington Mall just before Christmas last year. I was meeting friends for dinner at Legal Seafoods in the mall, and planned to charge there while we at to avoid stopping on the way home (which just meant less sleep that night).

The chargers at the Burlington mall are almost always taken. Only once out of the last 10 times I've been have I managed to charge, and when I did I was worried someone would bash my car thinking they needed it more.

I have better a little luck at Northshore in Peabody, and really my favorite is Rockingham Park where I'm always able to get a charger.

Off topic - but for what it’s worth Burlington Mall is doing a fairly large expansion of their Electrify America stations right now.

Attachments

• 82D7EB62-172C-44BA-BD0C-C032304A96AD.jpeg
    82D7EB62-172C-44BA-BD0C-C032304A96AD.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 4D1ED151-5BA8-4184-9406-18BDDB538EBD.jpeg
    4D1ED151-5BA8-4184-9406-18BDDB538EBD.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 93
  • 11E01A98-91E5-4C65-9DF2-E9102BA8F382.jpeg
    11E01A98-91E5-4C65-9DF2-E9102BA8F382.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 95
Off topic - but for what it’s worth Burlington Mall is doing a fairly large expansion of their Electrify America stations right now.

Still looks like only one more Level 2 J1772? (here's to hoping they don't remove the other one!).

I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, but regularly use the Level 2 Burlington Mall charger... has been great; 240V, 30A, and free! Biggest gripe is that they only have 2 labelled spaces for their 3 chargers currently (the level 2 charger shares a space with one of the CCS/CHAdeMO chargers, which means generally only one can be used at a time... Have worked around this when I have been lucky to snag a nearby spot that can reach the level 2 pedestal and it wasn't in use).

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
Still looks like only one more Level 2 J1772? (here's to hoping they don't remove the other one!)

Generally, all Electrify America chargers are pay to use. Unless the mall makes EA change their tariffs for the J1772, it will be $$ to charge up.

Also, Electrify America doesn’t usually install J1772s. 1 or 2 is the max you should expect to see from them. I don’t even think they make the J1772s. The East Coast I feel is more likely to have low-speed chargers rather than the West Coast. For example, the one I went to in St-George Utah didn’t/won’t have J1772s.

Apologies for derailing the thread. I was specifically looking to use the Chademo (I have an adapter) to fill up during dinner to avoid having to stop at Hooksett heading back home, so I could get to bed earlier.
Generally, all Electrify America chargers are pay to use. Unless the mall makes EA change their tariffs for the J1772, it will be $$ to charge up.
@appleguru is referencing the fact that only the existing EVgo DCFC stations have a fee. There is one J1772 there which is free. Usually when I go there for dinner, I park in one of "The Districts" garages and use one of the Chargepoints. It's a short (1/4 mi) walk to Legal's from there.

Reactions: appleguru
Waltham, Burlington, and Lawrence are still on the map as "Coming Soon", however, Woburn was never listed, and it is permitted. It's possible that one is Burlington....

I have a feeling Lawrence may actually end up in Methuen...there's even a chance it ends up over the border near The Mall at Rockingham Park. All of those spots would be nice for 93, though.

Apologies for derailing the thread. I was specifically looking to use the Chademo (I have an adapter) to fill up during dinner to avoid having to stop at Hooksett heading back home, so I could get to bed earlier.

@appleguru is referencing the fact that only the existing EVgo DCFC stations have a fee. There is one J1772 there which is free. Usually when I go there for dinner, I park in one of "The Districts" garages and use one of the Chargepoints. It's a short (1/4 mi) walk to Legal's from there.

The district chargers also used to be free, but are now $1/hour.

Be careful if you use them though, last time I got billed for a bunch of time after I unplugged due to their "waitlist" feature.. Make sure you explicitly stop the charge session! (I think it was a bug, as I thought it was supposed to auto-release after 5mins max, but did not).

I find the mall chargers to generally be available most week days except for at lunch time. Weekends they tend to be more utilized. I was just there after 2pm and had no competition for either space (and used the L2).

The district chargers also used to be free, but are now $1/hour.

Be careful if you use them though, last time I got billed for a bunch of time after I unplugged due to their "waitlist" feature.. Make sure you explicitly stop the charge session! (I think it was a bug, as I thought it was supposed to auto-release after 5mins max, but did not).

I find the mall chargers to generally be available most week days except for at lunch time. Weekends they tend to be more utilized. I was just there after 2pm and had no competition for either space (and used the L2).

According to PlugShare, the price at The District jumps to $25/hour after the first three hours. That's about $4/kWh. Yikes!

PS: Can the moderator move all the Burlington Mall / The District comments to their own thread?

It is very frustrating that all the superchargers around Boston are in paid parking garages. It's rare that these will be convenient. Meanwhile, we still have zero of the 3-4 superchargers on the north shore, some have been in permitting 500+ days.

I feel that this is somehow a deliberate strategy by Tesla. New york has the exact same problems boston has. Lack of access to 150kw chargers.