Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bothell, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone would agree with this. Tesla Taxis in Montreal have their own dedicated Supercharger at their home base. Part of the motivation for Urban chargers is to support apartment dwellers without dedicated chargers. I wouldn’t want to do it, but some people do it.

Agreed. I would guess that model S/X demographics tends more toward those with homes and private garages, while a lot of the appeal of the model 3 is the younger professional living in apartments/condos. That changes some of the assumptions around charging habits/needs.

Reactions: Salvo
When we travel, most of the time we don’t have charging options at our destinations. (Friends’ houses, camping, hotels in places with no charging infrastructure, etc. Many of the people in Seattle-area superchargers are in fact likely visitors or tourists to the region.
A 120v at a friends house is slow but good enough if staying a while. When I travel, I pick hotels with EV chargers whenever possible. Gives you a good head start even if it’s more $$. Most of the well traveled routes are well covered in WA now.

Keep in mind, Supercharging (Fast Charging) should not be your primary charging source.

"as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network into city centers,as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network into city centers"

- Tesla

Yeah Tesla seem pretty slow in getting PNW SC network expanded. Given the low cost of electricity here I see a LOT of Teslas on the road .. my commute is 20 mins on city streets and if I dont see half a dozen each way its a quiet day. I wonder how WA/OR compare to CA for supercharger count vs # of Teslas in the state?
You see a lot more Teslas in the Bay Area and SoCal than you do in the Seattle area. And I realize there are a lot now in the Seattle area.

• Funny
Reactions: ALSET YXES
CA is their number one market globally. Not sure where WA/OR ranks anymore but WA was 2nd behind CA for ownership at one point.

Tesla has understandably throttled the Supercharge financial resources since late 2017/early 2018 to reduce the impact to their balance sheet. Though every year they state that their going to double but they have yet to meet that goal year after year.

The ratio of SCs to Teslas is out of balance in CA and WA/OR. WA has only 17 SC sites - OR has 14 SC sites and CA has ~100 SC Sites (sorry wasn't going to count them...)

Keep in mind, Supercharging (Fast Charging) should not be your primary charging source.
Superchargers by state:

CA-139
WA-17
OR-14

Population by state:

CA-40 million
WA-8 million
OR-4 million

The ratio does not seem that out of whack. OR has more superchargers per capita than WA, but that makes sense because it is geographically bigger, so those OR superchargers are there to enable interstate travel moreso than the WA superchargers.

CA also has more superchargers per capita than WA, but there are also far more Teslas per capita there than in WA, even if WA is #2 in the country in Teslas per capita (at least it was when I looked it up a year or two ago and I doubt that has changed based on what I've seen).

There are not many places in WA that you can’t go even if a lowest range Tesla. Pending you have charging options at destination.

If you're only looking at SCs for charging then yes you are limited if you have a 60 or 75. Question though, when was the last time you went somewhere, other than a remote camping site, where there was no electricity?

Last edited:
Reactions: goneskiian
Not everyone would agree with this. Tesla Taxis in Montreal have their own dedicated Supercharger at their home base. Part of the motivation for Urban chargers is to support apartment dwellers without dedicated chargers. I wouldn’t want to do it, but some people do it.

Yup, totally agree. It depends on your living/working situation ie access to charging options where your vehicle sits the longest.

Urban was in part put forth as a bandaid for MUDs but design was focus more on size to provide a charge post that worked better for high-density urban with limited space for the oversized 120 kW post.

There will be a rapidly expansion of charging options for MUDs in the coming year.

"as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network into city centers,as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network into city centers"

- Tesla

SCs (fast charging) in not sustainable long-term and does not maximize the use of the existing power grid. The need for fast charging is real for long-distance travel and has been needed to remove a barriers/reservations of consumers looking enter the EV market.

We all know the long-term sustainable solution but frankly there is not a EV charging company currently focused on it, including Tesla.

i work in the North Creek Parkway business complex, this is less than a mile from me, so going to be super helpful! i will try my best to check on the status of this install, i'm a 2 week old tesla owner, so bear with me, i'm not exactly sure what to look for when it comes to new installations.
Just take pics and post them here and everyone else will fill in the blanks. Particular focus should be on the transformer (or lack thereof) and any closeups of the specs on the transformer (large green metal box) or supercharger cabinets (large white upright boxes).

Passed in there yesterday, no changes to start Alset posted. Can't tell where the stations are going to be, inside or outside. Alset, you said you saw the layout, did it specify ?

Reference my early post...

Current layout is switchgear and cabinets outside with posts located inside. H&M has been on-site pretty much everyday. I'll see if their open to providing an update on Monday.

Some minor activity in Bothell. They now have the stalls taped off. They have roped off 11 spaces so 10 superchargers? Do they ever install an odd number?

They are on the far corner of the upper garage, directly behind where the upgraded transformer will be.
61C9AE68-5E6C-4C20-93DA-CB8D72E6AA8A.jpeg

Really excited this is progressing so fast. I live in Renton, work in Bothell, so there is no convenient supercharger for me. I also live in an apartment and can't charge there. Work let's me use a 120volt outlet, but that glacially slow. This will be a regular charging/lunch stop for me !!! Do we know if these will be 72kwh or 150?