Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bothell, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drive around Seattle. A substantial number of those multi-family dwellings only have street parking. Also I can't even convince my landlord to take digital payments let alone invest in chargers (if there was even a single dedicated parking space for my 11 unit building).

Yup, so ask your if "I live and work in highly densified urban area with no access to parking should you even own a car?". Understandable, if that is your current living situation but you can choose both where you live and what you drive. We're way off topic here... haha...

Not that off topic. The question is whether Bothell is for people traveling through, or residents.

Tesla has huge incentives to roll out infrastructure in order to sell cars. Property owners have huge incentives to minimize costs and maintenance. Of those two, I think superchargers are going to address multi family home residents first. It's similar to Fiber Internet vs LTE. LTE won. Fiber to every building was a huge hassle. It was much easier/cheaper to put up a handful of towers nearby and service hundreds of structures with a single, centrally maintained tower.

I think 30kw chargers though are the sweet spot. I would rather see Tesla roll out 24 stall / 30kw than 12 stall 75kw. I'm not seeing L2 chargers being well received or maintained. I found a street charger in Bellevue in front of The Landing. It didn't work. That's my experience with public L2 chargers. They tend to be installed to check an amenity list and then there is no incentive to fix it when it breaks because it's achieved its PR/Marketing needs. I think Tesla is rolling out these east-side Superchargers first and foremost for residents not travelers.

haha... fanboy...

SC is not and will not be the go to source for charging...

The issue is that none of you are pushing or pressuring Multi-family property owners to provide access to charging for renters and condo owners who represent 36% of 172,000,000 households in the USA.

Instead you're happily pedaling the current narrative that DC Fast charging is the solution when the solution is clearly the rapid expansion of Level 2 charging on a backbone that can meet current demands now and is flexible/scalable enough to meet future demand.

The narrative will change of the next 24 months, I advise that you don't get caught in the wake, as you're drinking the cool-aid versus thinking objectively.

#chargeon

I think with existing construction it's going to be a hard battle. I doubt many business owners will be happy taking on tens of thousands of dollars worth of work. Even a major project like resurfacing a parking lot wouldn't really be something that EV stations could be added on to since there isn't a lot of digging that takes place. I absolutely think right now all new construction should be made to run conduit to 20% or 30% of the spaces they build. Even if wire isn't run and EV hardware installed, a HUGE cost will be avoided and other costs will be minimal down the road, potentially something a home owner would invest in (if a condo).

There also could be a push with cities to install them near public lands; parks, recreation areas with tennis courts, basketball courts, etc, and any public lots near downtown cores that might have shopping and food within
Not that off topic. The question is whether Bothell is for people traveling through, or residents.

Tesla has huge incentives to roll out infrastructure in order to sell cars. Property owners have huge incentives to minimize costs and maintenance. Of those two, I think superchargers are going to address multi family home residents first. It's similar to Fiber Internet vs LTE. LTE won. Fiber to every building was a huge hassle. It was much easier/cheaper to put up a handful of towers nearby and service hundreds of structures with a single, centrally maintained tower.

I think 30kw chargers though are the sweet spot. I would rather see Tesla roll out 24 stall / 30kw than 12 stall 75kw. I'm not seeing L2 chargers being well received or maintained. I found a street charger in Bellevue in front of The Landing. It didn't work. That's my experience with public L2 chargers. They tend to be installed to check an amenity list and then there is no incentive to fix it when it breaks because it's achieved its PR/Marketing needs. I think Tesla is rolling out these east-side Superchargers first and foremost for residents not travelers.

My experience with a handful of Tesla L2 chargers (maybe four or five different locations so far) has been really solid. I’m impressed that they seem to care about them and make sure they’re working. I wish they were networked though to at least give an idea of how often they’re busy.

Ironically your fiber comment isn’t the best for this situation since MDU (multi dwelling units) actually have been some of the first to see fiber installed since it’s one run to feed many homes. But of course your general idea stands. I just think the really expensive thing is the trenching, if there was a way around that I think we would see these chargers pop up a lot more. We need updated codes to require EV ready spots. Every new parking lot needs 25% to have conduit run or something. Remove the trenching cost, have Tesla provide free L2 equipment and you’ll see the average cost probably turn into a couple hours of an electrician and the cost of wire.

haha... fanboy...

SC is not and will not be the go to source for charging...

The issue is that none of you are pushing or pressuring Multi-family property owners to provide access to charging for renters and condo owners who represent 36% of 172,000,000 households in the USA.

Instead you're happily pedaling the current narrative that DC Fast charging is the solution when the solution is clearly the rapid expansion of Level 2 charging on a backbone that can meet current demands now and is flexible/scalable enough to meet future demand.

The narrative will change of the next 24 months, I advise that you don't get caught in the wake, as you're drinking the cool-aid versus thinking objectively.

#chargeon

Well you seem to read an awful lot into a simple answer to a simple question. I wasn't "pedaling" any narrative whatsoever, though it appears that you clearly are.

Yup, so ask your if "I live and work in highly densified urban area with no access to parking should you even own a car?". Understandable, if that is your current living situation but you can choose both where you live and what you drive. We're way off topic here... haha...
dude, your views of the world are pretty simplistic. Why do you care what people decide to do with their car, their living situation, and their choice of charging? You obviously have a home charger, good for you, some of us don't. I bought this car for auto drive, not cause it was electric, and I like where I live, I just don't happen to have access to home charging. There can be both solutions, the world is complicated, enjoy your slice of it and let other enjoy theirs

Reactions: bbthechange
Well you seem to read an awful lot into a simple answer to a simple question. I wasn't "pedaling" any narrative whatsoever, though it appears that you clearly are.

Absolutely, the narrative that Level 2 charging is the solution and level 3 is marketing which is needed but will never be the long-term solution that grows at the same rate as EV adoption by the general public.

Note it is not "you" specifically but the EVCI providers and their followers. The general public thinks that charging an EV functions or should function just like a gas
station which is not realistic nor accurate. Both EVCI providers and OEMs are all taking this approach which is just flat out the wrong approach. There is absolutely a use case where level 3 is needed but not for daily short distance drivers which accounts for the majority of us.

@Legacystar, Can ask, do you rent or own? Is it a Multi-family building? If so, with for without a shared or private garage? DM me honestly interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: goneskiian
I think with existing construction it's going to be a hard battle. I doubt many business owners will be happy taking on tens of thousands of dollars worth of work. Even a major project like resurfacing a parking lot wouldn't really be something that EV stations could be added on to since there isn't a lot of digging that takes place. I absolutely think right now all new construction should be made to run conduit to 20% or 30% of the spaces they build. Even if wire isn't run and EV hardware installed, a HUGE cost will be avoided and other costs will be minimal down the road, potentially something a home owner would invest in (if a condo).

@acarney You're spot on. The solution is infrastructure that supports any charging level, provides flexibility and scalability for all property types. It is coming to market in 2020. This will be really slick for existing buildings with a shared garage or any type of parking garage assuming available power capacity. As far as getting buy-in from property owners, as long as they have a new revenue stream with little to no maintenance and minimum management requirement it is an easy pitch.

Washington has legistaion in place that requires electric vehicle changing infrastructure for all new development since 2012. See RCW 19.27.540: Electric vehicle infrastructure requirements.

My earlier comment applies here

Free is a problem forsure and a pretty shitty business model to boot.

The issue is not that level 2 chargers suck its that the majority current EVCI providers including Tesla give them away or sell them directly to property owners with little to no support after installation. If property owners are making revenue off of the level 2s then there is incentive to make sure they are operational.

Level 2 street charger yet another shitty idea...

dude, your views of the world are pretty simplistic. Why do you care what people decide to do with their car, their living situation, and their choice of charging? You obviously have a home charger, good for you, some of us don't. I bought this car for auto drive, not cause it was electric, and I like where I live, I just don't happen to have access to home charging. There can be both solutions, the world is complicated, enjoy your slice of it and let other enjoy theirs

K.I.S.S, this is not a complex subject it has limited variables.

@acarney You're spot on. The solution is infrastructure that supports any charging level, provides flexibility and scalability for all property types. It is coming to market in 2020. This will be really slick for existing buildings with a shared garage or any type of parking garage assuming available power capacity. As far as getting buy-in from property owners, as long as they have a new revenue stream with little to no maintenance and minimum management requirement it is an easy pitch.

Washington has legistaion in place that requires electric vehicle changing infrastructure for all new development since 2012. See RCW 19.27.540: Electric vehicle infrastructure requirements.

“For occupancies classified as assembly, education, or mercantile, the requirements of this section apply only to employee parking spaces. The requirements of this section do not apply to occupancies classified as residential R-3, utility, or miscellaneous.”

That basically says ALL businesses only need to provide for employees, which I bet they can say is just a couple spaces behind the building or something. The only benefit seems to be for condos and apartment buildings...

I mean it’s a start, but pretty disappointing for the public as a whole...

“For occupancies classified as assembly, education, or mercantile, the requirements of this section apply only to employee parking spaces. The requirements of this section do not apply to occupancies classified as residential R-3, utility, or miscellaneous.”

That basically says ALL businesses only need to provide for employees, which I bet they can say is just a couple spaces behind the building or something. The only benefit seems to be for condos and apartment buildings...

I mean it’s a start, but pretty disappointing for the public as a whole...

Think all parking garages... code may not yet be there but demand clearly already is. Code will be adjusted again.

***Update***

Apparently there was some disagreements on who's contractor would handle the landscaping demolition and restoration. The demo started this morning but they have made little to no progress.

IMG_0859.jpeg