Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Braintree, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Hudson an Braintree have a municipally owned electric utility.
Interesting observation. Mansfield also went live very quickly from ground breaking to operational and is also a municipal electric town. As a Mansfield resident I find the municipal electric much much better than NStar or Eversource that I had previously at past locations in terms of cost per kwh and reliability. Markedly better in both ways. I'm curious if Tesla is targeting municipal electric locations for the same fundamental reasons of cost and responsiveness. Would be a savvy move on their part if they are.

Reactions: chjch and EdA
Interesting observation. Mansfield also went live very quickly from ground breaking to operational and is also a municipal electric town. As a Mansfield resident I find the municipal electric much much better than NStar or Eversource that I had previously at past locations in terms of cost per kwh and reliability. Markedly better in both ways. I'm curious if Tesla is targeting municipal electric locations for the same fundamental reasons of cost and responsiveness. Would be a savvy move on their part if they are.

Eversourse is the new name for NStar. You probably meant Eversource and CenterPoint, the two big electric utilities. From those two, I think CenterPoint is a little more EV-friendly, there are several L2 ChargePoint stations sponsored by them.

I charged at this new location today. 2 of the 8 spots had ICE cars parked in them. I was a little put out until I saw a man in his 70's get out of his CRV to make his way to Sears. I'd bet he has no idea what a Supercharger is. So I created a note for people that block chargers. Is there something better available?
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 8.31.18 PM.png

I like the notion of supercharging at malls like SS Plaza, however I assume that the notion is that you can shop while charging. However with idle fees of $1 per minute - you can't really do this? Am I missing something?

I like the notion of supercharging at malls like SS Plaza, however I assume that the notion is that you can shop while charging. However with idle fees of $1 per minute - you can't really do this? Am I missing something?

That’s the beauty of Urban Superchargers. At 72 kW max and no worrying about pairing up with someone, you get a more consistent and usable amount of time to eat food or get a little shopping done.

Model 3 with recent software updates charges so quickly on the big Superchargers that you don’t have much time to lolligag.

For a longer, uninterrupted shopping experience, you need L2 charging instead of supercharging. Or a combination if the L2 won't give you quite enough for the time you're going to spend. Like spend 10 minutes charging at the supercharger (stay at your car), then move over to the L2 stations before you go into the mall so you can charge up slowly over the longer time while you're shopping up a storm. Of course this depends on the mall also having L2 chargers available.

However with idle fees of $1 per minute - you can't really do this? Am I missing something?

You just need to put about 60K Supercharger miles on your car and then your charging speeds will be decreased by Tesla (to preserve the battery) and then you'll have the chance to actually enjoy a meal without the worry of idle fees. :)

While that is true...for me...I can understand the perspective of someone with a M3. The charging speeds on those cars are so much faster than when I can get that you really don't have to spend much time at the charger.

For a longer, uninterrupted shopping experience, you need L2 charging instead of supercharging. Or a combination if the L2 won't give you quite enough for the time you're going to spend. Like spend 10 minutes charging at the supercharger (stay at your car), then move over to the L2 stations before you go into the mall so you can charge up slowly over the longer time while you're shopping up a storm. Of course this depends on the mall also having L2 chargers available.

This is actually a great idea. I keep wishing they had it at South Bay. There is a movie theater there and Urban SC is too quick! I really wish they would throw in a few L2 when doing SC.

You just need to put about 60K Supercharger miles on your car and then your charging speeds will be decreased by Tesla (to preserve the battery) and then you'll have the chance to actually enjoy a meal without the worry of idle fees. :)

While that is true...for me...I can understand the perspective of someone with a M3. The charging speeds on those cars are so much faster than when I can get that you really don't have to spend much time at the charger.
I hope that won't be true on the 3.... This was just a select group of 90s wasn't it? I'm at about 25k SC miles on 10 months :)

This is actually a great idea. I keep wishing they had it at South Bay. There is a movie theater there and Urban SC is too quick! I really wish they would throw in a few L2 when doing SC.

They do have L2 chargers in South Bay Plaza, but only two of them. One is in the EVgo station and is free, the other in in the Electrify America station and costs so much you probably better off paying idle fees.

I hope that won't be true on the 3.... This was just a select group of 90s wasn't it? I'm at about 25k SC miles on 10 months
It started out with 90s, but now it has affected many more. Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Time will tell. But you've got different batteries and different cell chemistry and one could argue that your car was also made with the expectation that you could possibly be using Superchargers quite a bit more often compared to the earlier cars where the expectation was that you'd be charging at home. I think the M3's will be much better in this regard....but that's just my somewhat educated opinion.

For the record though, with almost 75000 miles on my car now I really have not seen much battery degradation. And I saw nothing extra after that software update in question. I'm at maybe 6-7% down from where it started when I got the car. I do charge up in my garage each and every night back to 80%, but my commute to work is so short that I'm probably only charging for an hour or two each day. The vast majority of the miles I have on my car have been done while on road trips (most for fun thankfully). So my guesstimate of 60,000 SC miles in my case is fairly accurate. I used to see charging speed up in the 116kW range...and now I never get above 94kW. So that's the only thing I really notice. Even then though my normal SC stop is still only about 20 minutes, and 40 at the max.

But I certainly am jealous of the 150kW speeds that I see people with the M3's talking about...and don't even talk to me about V3 chargers... That's not going to do me any good at all.