Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Brandon, FL Supercharger is Now Open.jpg

Larry

Don't mention BBQ if Btrflyl8e is near. She might just invite herself to your lunch. :biggrin:
hey! I do love BBQ. Steve, check out the Smoke Shack food truck on S Dale Mabry!

- - - Updated - - -

HEY KRIS, wanna get some BBQ for lunch today?
Dang it, I could have gone, too. Wish I had seen this earlier!

(image of Tesla's email announcing the Brandon/Tampa availability)

The text of the email also said:

The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away. We are excited to announce our sixth Supercharger in Florida. The Brandon Supercharger supports travel between Miami and Atlanta on Interstate 75 for free, for life.

What do you suppose they meant by "planet's fastest charging station"? Is this faster than 135 kW? Or are they just trumpeting that their superchargers in general are faster than the other two DCFC standards? (Chademo and SAE Combo)

The text of the email also said:

What do you suppose they meant by "planet's fastest charging station"? Is this faster than 135 kW? Or are they just trumpeting that their superchargers in general are faster than the other two DCFC standards? (Chademo and SAE Combo)

It probably means that Superchargers are faster than the competing "standards" for cars . However, there are charging systems, such as for electric buses, that use a robotic connection to connect to a DC charger that has a higher capacity than a Supercharger. (450 kW in 15 seconds)

Battery-topped electric buses flash charge in 15 seconds

World’s fastest electric bus charging system

Larry

Last edited:
After just taking delivery of my car a couple of weeks ago I was particularly excited to stop by yesterday to try it out. I can't think of a way to overstate it... The car and the company are creating a new paradigm.

I hope to see some of you on future stops! Here's a pic from my first supercharging adventure:
At the supercharger small.JPG

It probably means that Superchargers are faster than the competing "standards" for cars . However, there are charging systems, such as for electric buses, that use a robotic connection to connect to a DC charger that has a higher capacity than a Supercharger. (450 kW in 15 seconds)

Battery-topped electric buses flash charge in 15 seconds

World’s fastest electric bus charging system

Larry

Unfortunately I think 120kW is probably the highest we'll see on the Model S.

After examining the battery pack in detail, and what I know of the inlet and other things on the Model S itself, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the wiring and other components likely can't handle power levels greater than the current superchargers. Also, 120kW is already charging the batteries at 1.42C (~4.6A per cell) for an 85kWh pack, higher than most any other lithium battery charging setup. Charging much beyond this for any useful period of time would probably heat the batteries faster than the active cooling could support. The cooling loop itself touches about 70% of the height and perhaps 20% of the circumference of each individual 18650 cell. So, heat has to transfer through the majority of the casing before being sopped away by the cooling loop. I'm sure Tesla appropriately calculated how much heat this setup is able to pull from the cells safely, and I'm going to take a guess and say that we're probably there with 120kW charging. (See the pics in my tear down thread for snaps of the coolant loop)

As for the 450kW "flash charge"... effects on the batteries aside, in 15 seconds that's less than 2kWh of energy (400000*15/3600 Wh = 1666.66 Wh), or about 5 to 6 miles in the Model S. Not very useful other than local buses and such, IMO.

The limit is essentially a factor of the pack's size. Applying this to say, a 170kWh pack would allow ~240kW charging. But charge time would still be the same. But getting the 0-100% charge times to be lower than they currently are is probably not possible with the Model S.

Best bet is to keep the battery as low as possible on supercharger trips so that you can get your charging at the highest points in the charge taper curve, only charging as much as needed. I recently did a trip from western NC to southern NJ (just under 600 miles) with only just over an hour of supercharging in total thanks to the addition of South Hill and Woodbridge, VA. Using just Burlington, NC and Glen Allen, VA required two long charges prior (over 2 hours of supercharging) to make the same trip. Keeping my SoC in/near the ~120kW zone I can pump more juice faster overall with the shorter hops.

I'm pretty happy with where we are with the supercharging setups. More stations would be great for more options, but they're coming. :)

Unfortunately I think 120kW is probably the highest we'll see on the Model S.

After examining the battery pack in detail, and what I know of the inlet and other things on the Model S itself, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the wiring and other components likely can't handle power levels greater than the current superchargers. Also, 120kW is already charging the batteries at 1.42C (~4.6A per cell) for an 85kWh pack, higher than most any other lithium battery charging setup. Charging much beyond this for any useful period of time would probably heat the batteries faster than the active cooling could support. The cooling loop itself touches about 70% of the height and perhaps 20% of the circumference of each individual 18650 cell. So, heat has to transfer through the majority of the casing before being sopped away by the cooling loop. I'm sure Tesla appropriately calculated how much heat this setup is able to pull from the cells safely, and I'm going to take a guess and say that we're probably there with 120kW charging. (See the pics in my tear down thread for snaps of the coolant loop)

As for the 450kW "flash charge"... effects on the batteries aside, in 15 seconds that's less than 2kWh of energy (400000*15/3600 Wh = 1666.66 Wh), or about 5 to 6 miles in the Model S. Not very useful other than local buses and such, IMO.

The limit is essentially a factor of the pack's size. Applying this to say, a 170kWh pack would allow ~240kW charging. But charge time would still be the same. But getting the 0-100% charge times to be lower than they currently are is probably not possible with the Model S.

Best bet is to keep the battery as low as possible on supercharger trips so that you can get your charging at the highest points in the charge taper curve, only charging as much as needed. I recently did a trip from western NC to southern NJ (just under 600 miles) with only just over an hour of supercharging in total thanks to the addition of South Hill and Woodbridge, VA. Using just Burlington, NC and Glen Allen, VA required two long charges prior (over 2 hours of supercharging) to make the same trip. Keeping my SoC in/near the ~120kW zone I can pump more juice faster overall with the shorter hops.

I'm pretty happy with where we are with the supercharging setups. More stations would be great for more options, but they're coming. :)
Thanks for your insightful remarks. Unfortunately, we are driving this discussion off-topic and hopefully a moderator will relocate our remarks.

With regards to Tesla's unqualified fastest charging remarks, my only point was Superchargers are neither the fastest or highest capacity DC charging system.

I agree with all your points, but I would like to point out that there is real benefit to increasing the capacity of Superchargers even if the capacity is limited by what each car can handle.

Right now the second car to connect to a Supercharger is severely limited in the charge rate. A higher capacity Supercharger would permit a significant increase in station throughput. This will be very important when there is congestion at Supercharger Stations.

Larry