Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to be going to Venice (visiting Venice Saturday and Sunday) this coming weekend and being that the Tampa Supercharger will obviously not be up, I made a reservation at the Hampton Inn on University in Sarasota. Has anyone used their charger? ---I don't have a viable plan "B" if the Hampton charging facilities let me down.

Hi Rusty,

People reporting at Plugshare show this to be a reliable charger.

You may wish to consider joining our Club Charging Network. Regardless if you do, if you get in a bind, please contact me for your plan "B". I live 19 miles from the hotel.

You also might be interested in this thread:

Charging near Siesta Key

You can also charge at Saint Armand's Circle while you shop or dine, at the Mote Marine Aquarium, at the Palm Avenue garage in downtown Sarasota.

Regards,

Larry

I plan to be going to Venice (visiting Venice Saturday and Sunday) this coming weekend and being that the Tampa Supercharger will obviously not be up, I made a reservation at the Hampton Inn on University in Sarasota. Has anyone used their charger? ---I don't have a viable plan "B" if the Hampton charging facilities let me down.

Venice chargers are TERRIBLE , they where both down last weekend. I stopped reporting this to chargepoint. They are not only totally incompetent (the charger broke about 10 times so far, same for a Tampa charger they have. They repair and it breaks right away, so they do not fix the real problem), but also arrogant. After it broke the second time right away I asked to escalate the issues and offered my help to identify the problem. I only got a standard auto reply. I did the same the next time it broke, and again I received just a standard auto reply. I hope they go out of business and make room for companies who care.

An absolute MUST to do in Venice is eating at "Made in Italy" restaurant. We drive about twice a month from Tampa to Venice ONLY because of this restaurant. How sad for USA that one has to drive 180 miles RT to escape the corporate franchise food crap to find a real native Italian run owner operated restaurant !

joer00 - Thanks for all the info. The "Made in Italy" Restaurant sounds great - we usually have a group that likes to eat out together when we are in Venice, I'll Be sure to keep it in Mind

Larry- now that I am a member of the Florida Club. How do I join the club charging network?

Venice chargers are TERRIBLE , they where both down last weekend. I stopped reporting this to chargepoint. They are not only totally incompetent (the charger broke about 10 times so far, same for a Tampa charger they have. They repair and it breaks right away, so they do not fix the real problem), but also arrogant. After it broke the second time right away I asked to escalate the issues and offered my help to identify the problem. I only got a standard auto reply. I did the same the next time it broke, and again I received just a standard auto reply. I hope they go out of business and make room for companies who care.

An absolute MUST to do in Venice is eating at "Made in Italy" restaurant. We drive about twice a month from Tampa to Venice ONLY because of this restaurant. How sad for USA that one has to drive 180 miles RT to escape the corporate franchise food crap to find a real native Italian run owner operated restaurant !
Off topic but...joer00, have you ever tried Mario's on Madeira Beach? It's a tiny authentic Italian pace in a strip mall, next to a 7-11 of all things. I sometimes wish it wasn't 3 miles from my house!

Also, try Pia's in Gulfport!

Tried that. NO COMPARISSON with Made in Italy. It's not just the food there, it is the vibe of the whole stuff !! Everybody know us personal and we get hugs and kisses when we arrive. This is because the staff LOVES to work there ! The whole kitchen staff is the same like from day one ! I hardly get the same waiter twice at the usual places here.

Back on subject - Tampa Supercharger

This may be old news, but it appears that Black & Veatch is the company that has the contract with Tesla to install many of the superchargers.

Have a look here.
Tesla Supercharger – Electric Vehicle Charging System

The video clip on the page is informative. In it, B &V claims they handle the permitting as well as construction. If you catch the map at 1:53, there appear to be SC's in Port Orange, St. Augustine and Jacksonville. I don't know if this is an old map that has been superseded or shows new info.

Some folks have been checking for permits in areas of Tampa that may be logical places for the SC, but it is likely they checked for Tesla as the permit applicant when the permit may actually be issued to Black & Veatch. It might be worth a followup to see if B & V has made any applications.

This may be old news, but it appears that Black & Veatch is the company that has the contract with Tesla to install many of the superchargers.

Have a look here.
Tesla Supercharger – Electric Vehicle Charging System

The video clip on the page is informative. In it, B &V claims they handle the permitting as well as construction. If you catch the map at 1:53, there appear to be SC's in Port Orange, St. Augustine and Jacksonville. I don't know if this is an old map that has been superseded or shows new info.

Some folks have been checking for permits in areas of Tampa that may be logical places for the SC, but it is likely they checked for Tesla as the permit applicant when the permit may actually be issued to Black & Veatch. It might be worth a followup to see if B & V has made any applications.

Hi Keith,

Black & Veatch is the General Contractor, but in general it is the local electrical contractor that applies for the permit. The on-line permitting systems vary. If I recall correctly this one requires you to know the address.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Larry- now that I am a member of the Florida Club. How do I join the club charging network?

Hi Rusty,

Just send me an email at [email protected] with your charging source, I.e. HPWC, NEMA 14-50, etc., preferred contact phone number, and a comment qualifying availability, such as, "Gated community, please call in advance for access."

Larry

I made my weekend trip to Venice from Amelia Island stopping at the Port Orange Supercharger. We stayed at the Sarasota Hampton INN at the airport. Their Chargepoint charger worked well, it charged at a rate of 20mph (if you don't have a Chargepoint account the desk clerk has a card).

At the Scuba West Dive shop parking lot in Venice, which is shared by a marina and Marker 4 restaurant, there are 4 NEMA 14-50 outlets located where the dive boat was docked- they delivered the full 40 amps at 235 volts! I don't think the 14-50's were intended for either boats or EV's. From all indications something else had been located there in the past (maybe a portable construction office?), therefore I would check with the dive shop if you plan to use them - no one at Marker 4 restaurant had any knowledge on them.

While everything worked out well, the Tampa Supercharger would have been better for me, had it been live. The best route from Amelia Island to Tampa is just over 230 miles. With a full charge, and considering the lower speeds (strictly enforced!) for a large portion of the trip, it should be no problem.

PS: I-4 is a massive pain, wrecks and heavy traffic added about 2 hours to my trip from Amelia Island.

Last edited:
Please refer to posting #5.

Please refer to posting #6.

Since Dan has a working relationship with the property manager we might want to save us some premature searching by waiting for notification from her that Tesla has signed the leasing agreement.

Larry

I received confirmation that the property owner/management has an executed lease with Tesla & that they (Tesla) are in the process of getting their permits to start work.

I have not seen any permits show up on Hillsborough County's online permit website yet, but I was able to locate an easement agreement between the property ownership and Tampa Electric for the exact parcel that has been mentioned here previously (7/11/2014).

Assuming a relatively smooth permitting process, site photos/updates aren't that far away :)

I received confirmation that the property owner/management has an executed lease with Tesla & that they (Tesla) are in the process of getting their permits to start work.

I have not seen any permits show up on Hillsborough County's online permit website yet, but I was able to locate an easement agreement between the property ownership and Tampa Electric for the exact parcel that has been mentioned here previously (7/11/2014).

Assuming a relatively smooth permitting process, site photos/updates aren't that far away :)

Hi Dan,

Greate work, and thanks for your perseverance!

Larry

Last edited:
I just picked up my car from Tampa Service Center today. They said they understand the Tampa supercharger construction should be breaking ground in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

This gives me an excuse to head out for a BBQ lunch at First Choice BBQ some time next week to look for any signs of pre-construction planning.

I just picked up my car from Tampa Service Center today. They said they understand the Tampa supercharger construction should be breaking ground in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

This gives me an excuse to head out for a BBQ lunch at First Choice BBQ some time next week to look for any signs of pre-construction planning.

NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT!

Here's the link to Hillsborough County's Clerk of Court Records: LINK. If for some reason that doesn't work here's an image of the NOC that was filed on 7/28/14 (posted this morning 7/31/14).

TTSC.jpg

Tesla will be leasing the site, there will be 4 supercharger cabinets, 1 utility transformer and 8 charging posts.... and just because, Go Gators! :)