Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a couple of additional shots from this afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 512
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 499
Strangeness. They were fine when I posted originally, at least I thought, and I never did anything to fix them. I never even saw them upside down. Maybe there's a kind moderator out there somewhere.

If you have the pictures on your computer, reduce their size (I like 1000 pixels horizontal) and save before uploading. This will fix orientation problems and make the pictures display a lot faster on marginal internet connections like mine in the wilds of Pagosa.

I was at the Tampa service center Saturday afternoon (8/16) and curiously stopped by the Supercharger site. Unfortunately, I ended up in the parking lot area for the shopping center behind the Supercharger and it was a complete log-jam of traffic. It took 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot becuase every lane was completely full of cars at a standstill. Getting in and out of that supercharger location will be tricky to avoid traffic snarls and delays. It certainly is close to i75 and only a few miles from I75 & i4 interchange.

Got in touch with Ryan today. Wires are pulled and they are working hard on wiring up the charge stations. The Tesla covers are on. I'll be swinging by there tomorrow as soon as I can to get some pics. The light is now at the end of the tunnel. :smile:

And it get pretty bright when you see the Utility Transformer going in! Good Luck!!!

Annotated picture from Blanding, UT:
Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Stopped by there at 6 pm today. A lot of work has been done in the last two days. The concrete around the pedestals has been poured and the crew was still working putting the covers on the pedestals.

Good News - The contractor expects to complete testing and to be finished tomorrow.
Bad News - They expect it will be 3 to 4 weeks before the transformer is hooked up and ready to go operational.

Here's the latest pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Also, Please look {and photograph} for the source of power and it's pathway to the location of the utility transformer pad. The utility transformer pad is {usually} somewhat near the superchargers and the distribution cabinets. It helps give us the full view of the site. Also... a few photos from a distance to give us an idea where the site is located in relationship to the surrounding area at ground level.

WE ALL NEED QUAD COPTERS!!!

Also, Please look {and photograph} for the source of power and it's pathway to the location of the utility transformer pad. The utility transformer pad is {usually} somewhat near the superchargers and the distribution cabinets. It helps give us the full view of the site. Also... a few photos from a distance to give us an idea where the site is located in relationship to the surrounding area at ground level.

I spoke to the contractor a couple of weeks ago re the power source. He told me there are actually two sources. One of them is across the street to the east, behind a Starbucks location. The other is across another road to the West, behind an Olive Garden restaurant. He said they were using two power sources to ensure the charger remains powered even if one of the two sources goes out.

Not sure is this dual source set-up will cause any delays.

Because of the location, distance photos will not help too much. Take a look at the google maps screenshots earlier in this thread. The above shots towards the stations are taken facing roughly south. Behind the stations you can see the back of a low wall, which is actuall the back of a sign at the entrance to the center. After a left turn into the plaza off of the main road (State Road 60), the road into the center runs north approximately 25 yards straight towards the entry sign. At the sign, there is a right turn and the road curves to the left. The best route is to take the curve to the left and then take the next right turn, about another 15 yards ahead. After that right turn you will continue bearing right ( almost a u-turn) and the station will be on the right.

unless you want to be trapped in traffic forever - not too much of an exaggeration - do not exit the same way you entered. Instead, turn east from the supercharger until you get to a stop sign at the east end of the parking lot. You will need to make a short right turn to get to the stop sign. At that stop sign, take a left turn (heading east), but be careful as the east/west traffic does not stop. Go to the next stop sign and tak a right turn. That will lead you to the main road (SR 60) to make a right turn back to the interstate.

Sorry for the complicated directions. It actually is easier than the instructions sound, and will be obvious on a Google Maps view.

i will ill try to attach my rough drawing re the above directions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 377
Last edited:

This is a correction from my previous posting.

Here's where the nearest existing transformer is located, adjacent to the Olive Garden parking.

Tampa Supercharger nearest transformer.jpg

Below is the Google ground view looking toward the back of the Olive Garden. The transformer can be seen to the right of the fenced area.

Tampa Supercharger nearest transformer b.jpg

They of course won't be using this transformer, but it gives us a possible indication of where the nearest primary cable is located that the local utility would have to tap to place a new 277/480 volt transformer for the Superchargers.

Larry

Last edited:
I spoke to the contractor a couple of weeks ago re the power source. He told me there are actually two sources. One of them is across the street to the east, behind a Starbucks location. The other is across another road to the West, behind an Olive Garden restaurant. He said they were using two power sources to ensure the charger remains powered even if one of the two sources goes out.

Not sure is this dual source set-up will cause any delays.

The nearest Starbucks I could find was across the highway in the Brandon Mall.

There is a high voltage primary overhead line running along West Brandon Blvd. The utility is tapping the overhead by installing cable poles off of that line and transistioning to underground primary cable to feed the three phase pad-mounted tranformers supplying various commercial properties along West Brandon Blvd.

As I mentioned in my previous posting primary underground is available across Grand Regency Blvd at the Olive Garden in accordance with what the contractor stated. A cable pole feeds that Olive Garden transformer. There is also another cable pole further east feeding a transformer near the hair salon on the same side of Grand Regency that the Supercharger location. However, its quite a distance from the Supercharger. It is likely that the primary cable feeding that transformer continues along into the rear of Regency Mall, but without access to the utility plats we don't know the underground route and do not know how far it is to tap the underground primary cable and set a new transformer for the Supercharger location. I can see some pad-mounted transformers in the rear of Regency Square Mall off of Lake Kathy Drive. Since there is no primary overhead lines on that road we can be somewhat confident that the mall is being feed by underground cables coming off of West Brandon Blvd.

The Olive Garden cable is closer to the Supercharger site but it is across a major road. We don't know if a manhole system exists to make crossing that road realitively easy. There are manholes along the median of Grand Regency Blvd, but I can't make out what type.

Tampa Supercharger nearest transformer c.jpg

Here's a Google image of the cable pole highlighted in the previous Google image.

Tampa Supercharger nearest transformer d.jpg

Regarding the dual feeds, if nothing has changed from these Google images (some images date back to 2011) it is virtually certain that the same feeder is running along West Brandon Blvd since I don't see any overhead switches. Regardless of where the utility taps that feeder it is still the same source. So unless the utility installs an overhead switch to create two feeders, or if there is another feeder that I can't see from these Google images, then it is difficult to believe that the Superchargers will have dual sources.

Larry

Last edited: