Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure any amount angle of the sun is fine if you are willing to install infi solar panels at extreme angles. But obviously there's a point where it isn't cost efficient.
49-50 degrees has a large advantage in staying clear. The cost isn’t hugely higher than the 30 degrees here. Once you move away from reusing an existing roof that isn’t nearly as big a deal.

The large seasonal swing is a bigger issue.

<edit> To be clearer, seasonal swing is such an issue because higher latitudes creates a much larger swing in summer vs winter production, and also the climate dictates that peak electricity usage is in the winter rather that the summer (heating bigger deal than A/C).

Last edited:
49-50 degrees has a large advantage in staying clear. The cost isn’t hugely higher than the 30 degrees here. Once you move away from reusing an existing roof that isn’t nearly as big a deal.

The large seasonal swing is a bigger issue.

<edit> To be clearer, seasonal swing is such an issue because higher latitudes creates a much larger swing in summer vs winter production, and also the climate dictates that peak electricity usage is in the winter rather that the summer (heating bigger deal than A/C).
We are getting off topic here and I am no expert on solar. But are you arguing that the angle of the sun does not matter and that hours of sunlight is the only relevant issue? I would be surprised if that is the case. Even in the summer the angle of the sun in Manitoba is significantly lower than it is at more southerly locations such as Arizona. As an extreme example, you have 24 hours of daylight for 2-3 months up in Barrow, Alaska, but I'd be surprised if solar made any sense for any large project up there (under current technological constraints).

Brandon, MB

Along National Highways: I-TCH/MB-1

TCH/MB-1:
To: Portage la Prairie, MB (Construction) - 131.1 km
Diversion: 2.9 km
To: Winnipeg, MB (Permit) - 219.8 km

To: Sudbury, ON - 1908.2km

Last edited:
are you arguing that the angle of the sun does not matter and that hours of sunlight is the only relevant issue?
No. I already mentioned the other issues:
1) Very unlikely to be able to leverage existing roof as a
superstructure.
2) Other things equal, it has to pass thru more atmosphere (that aspect is already factored into the gradients on that map, because it'll reduce the measured Wh/m^2)
3) facility footprint, to avoid shadows (or you have to use a South facing hillside or something, for elevation change, like a sports stadium/theater does)

<edit> Ironically, environment higher temps reduce panel efficiency (I'm not sure what the bottom is on that) so cooler temps would be slightly more efficient. That's become less of an issue over time, as the silicon designs have improved.

Last edited:
2-day old article about the Supercharger: Suspected location of Brandon’s Tesla Supercharger saw progress this week
421787C2-B778-47F4-9E04-10F298161CF5.jpeg

Is that green box (or the grey box beside it) the hydro-supplied transformer to feed the setup? If it's like Moose Jaw it should be 1MW or 750KW? Anyone got an educated guess? I see a bunch of big wires coming out of the ground there, I assume they are somehow related to the site install.

Hi,
New to the forum. Soon to be TM3 AWD LR FSD owner. Currently a 2017 Volt owner - my gateway drug.
Just took a quick run down to the Transformer.
It is a 1000KVA unit and the cables are 750 MCM.
All I can add is it would be great if they put a Supercharger in Minot, ND, which would make a run to the SC in Bismark workable in winter.

View attachment 435078
Thanks for the info.

Be aware that the Bismarck supercharger you speak of is merely a permit at this point. I think we'd be lucky if it was completed by next year. Superchargers along US Highway 2 in North Dakota could be a decade away. It honestly could be a completely different charging paradigm by then.

The good news is I think you can make that trip from Brandon to Bismarck in your car even in winter. You just need to drive very carefully and research all the hypermiling techniques. Practicing the route first during a milder time of year will give you a better idea.

Thanks Plus EV. I don't think I would want to chance it in the winter. It is about 453 km from here, with a 490 km battery. I suppose it might be possible in the summer, but not yet having any real world experience with the TM3 I would probably have a LOT of range anxiety even in the summer/fall. However, having said that, I will look at hypermiling techniques. I see someone has done over 600 miles (966km), but at what speed? My suggestion for Minot was partially due to it having a USAF base there and it is ~ half way to Bismark for me. There will be another way to get to I 94 down through Regina or going all the way over to Medicine Hat on #1 and down to Shelby (when installed). I have lots to learn.

Hi,
New to the forum. Soon to be TM3 AWD LR FSD owner. Currently a 2017 Volt owner - my gateway drug.
Just took a quick run down to the Transformer.
It is a 1000KVA unit and the cables are 750 MCM.
All I can add is it would be great if they put a Supercharger in Minot, ND, which would make a run to the SC in Bismark workable in winter.

View attachment 435078
Thanks Plus EV. I don't think I would want to chance it in the winter. It is about 453 km from here, with a 490 km battery. I suppose it might be possible in the summer, but not yet having any real world experience with the TM3 I would probably have a LOT of range anxiety even in the summer/fall. However, having said that, I will look at hypermiling techniques. I see someone has done over 600 miles (966km), but at what speed? My suggestion for Minot was partially due to it having a USAF base there and it is ~ half way to Bismark for me. There will be another way to get to I 94 down through Regina or going all the way over to Medicine Hat on #1 and down to Shelby (when installed). I have lots to learn.

Your biggest benefits will be.

1) Slow down
2) Turn down the heater and use the heated seats (plus a blanket, helps too)
3) Wrap the front of the car to protect it from rocks, then set autopilot on 1 and draft in behind a semi with a van trailer that extends a low as possible.

Your biggest benefits will be.

1) Slow down
2) Turn down the heater and use the heated seats (plus a blanket, helps too)
3) Wrap the front of the car to protect it from rocks, then set autopilot on 1 and draft in behind a semi with a van trailer that extends a low as possible.

Thanks for that information @DigAdrenaline.
Is there an optimum speed for best mileage?

In the Volt, around 80-90 Km (50-55 mph) seemed to be best. Does setting on "Chill" help?
As for drafting, there isn't that much traffic on the shortest route, so that might be difficult to do. I did discover, to my amazement, that the shortest route from here to Bismark is 401 Km (250 mi) vs 458 Km (284 mi), but it might not be a great winter route. It will be interesting to see what the Tesla trip planner figures out.
For a cold weather trip, I pre-heat before a trip and then use the heated seat and steering wheel during the trip.
I have heard that the paint could use protection, so will check out getting the front wrapped.

Any other suggestions?

In the Volt, around 80-90 Km (50-55 mph) seemed to be best. Does setting on "Chill" help?
As for drafting, there isn't that much traffic on the shortest route, so that might be difficult to do. I did discover, to my amazement, that the shortest route from here to Bismark is 401 Km (250 mi) vs 458 Km (284 mi), but it might not be a great winter route. It will be interesting to see what the Tesla trip planner figures out.
For a cold weather trip, I pre-heat before a trip and then use the heated seat and steering wheel during the trip.
I have heard that the paint could use protection, so will check out getting the front wrapped.

Any other suggestions?
If you think you’re close but worried about not quite making it, there is a Level 2 charger at the International Peace Gardens. An hour there may be enough to make you more comfortable.

Yes there is one at the Peace Gardens and using PlugShare I just found a new (40 Amp) one in Bottineau, about 95 miles from here, that would be even better. I frequently go there to pickup packages, so I'll check it out the next time I am there. I might just go there for my first long drive. It would mean that with a 1/2 hour top up it would be really easy to drive the 189 miles to the Bismark SC (once it is installed). There currently is a L2 charger in Bismark with 45 Amp capability. From there on, I can find chargers. I think there are supposed to be SC installations being done on I 94 through MT, so I will be able to get to Idaho, Utah and points south.
Thanks,:) that takes away my range anxiety.

Any other suggestions?

Slower is better. Ideal is something like 30km/hr which isn’t actually realistic/helpful. But doing the speed limit rather than 15 over is very noticeable.

Your car will give you warnings about needing to keep your speed down to reach the destination. It’s overly cautious. Use the energy graph set to 50km, average range and look at the trip projections regularly or constantly. It is extremely accurate. Everything else is just approximations. I try to have an arrival showing at least 10% when I leave and at least 3% one you’re on the highway a bit.

Chill mode might help in the city, but mostly what it does is just kill your acceleration (fun). I never use it. Range Mode might help, but if you’re freezing in the winter and can’t figure out why, this will be the answer. I learned that the hard way.

Drafting matters. If all you can find is a motorcycle, use that and trade up as opportunities present themselves. Obviously, if nothing is available, then nothing is available. But you’ll want this.

Tesla’s paint reputation is overstated, but based in reality. I would advise protecting the front, including the windshield, but for sure the paint.

Range anxiety fades really fast. Play with the energy graph and the PlugShare app. There is electricity everywhere in an emergency. Where I drive frequently, I paid for a hotel to put in a charger for me where I needed it. It was reasonably priced (less than $1000) and I’ve been quite thankful for it.

Both Minot Automotive Center and Ryan Nissan have J1772 plugs.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
They are not very fast and you might need to plead to use their J1772 but those would reduce range anxiety quite a bit. YMMV but I have in years past used several Nissan dealers charging facilities as well as some others. With Nissan dealers it always helps to talk about how wonderful the Leaf is! An anecdote: three years ago I was charging at a cooperative Nissan dealer when two potential customers were looking at a Leaf. One of those bought one on the spot, whereupon the sales manager came out to me to thank me for closing his sale. All I had done was explain how easy it was to charge at home and how good the Leaf was as a local shopping vehicle. I suspect there might be such an opportunity in Minot, who knows?

There are superchargers allegedly planned for Winnipeg, Grand Forks, and Fargo. (the latter 2 have utility work orders to survey the sites). If when they get done, it will be a trade-off whether it is simpler to backtrack 2 hours to Winnipeg and then back again along I94 (4 hours total, plus supercharge time) or sit and charge for 4 hours or less at non-superchargers going direct.

Thanks @MD-2000, I have seen that (north end of Polo Park area theater) and they are doing construction in Portage also. I think I have it figured out now. Being a noob with the Tesla I was most likely over reacting. I know there is a level 2 in Grand Forks at the Best Western as a Winnipeg user posted and I have used it. I just have to get my head into correct thinking and figure out using A Better Route Planner and PlugShare - both seem to be very helpful. My trips either involve trips to Utah or Ontario to see family.

There is a Chademo/CCS in Polo Park (ground level by the Starbucks entrance, middle of east side) but it seemed pricey, if worst came to worst. There appear to be a few J1772 around Winnipeg that are free. Latest thoughts are superchargers will be southeast by the Polo Park ramp to upper parking. Still nothing southbound yet to allow me to escape Winnipeg unless I want to overnight in Fargo (several hotels have chargers)