Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brea, CA - S. Madrona Ave. (LIVE 10 Oct 2022, 24 V3 + 24 L2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's on EA website. This location is way better than Tesla proposed Downtown Brea parking structure.

Attachments

• EA brea.JPG
    EA brea.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 361
It's on EA website. This location is way better than Tesla proposed Downtown Brea parking structure.
For the masses, yes. For me personally, I prefer the Brea Downtown location. Much better restaurant choices (and is only 1.25 miles from my house).

But apparently they don't plan their locations around my personal needs. Frickin' Elon...

ETA: The pin in your screen shot is just for the Brea Mall in general. The actual construction location is circled in the image below.

EA Brea.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
I don't think the location Tesla is proposing is meant to be a supercharger stop for through travelers, so proximity to the freeway is mostly irrelevant from their perspective. They are doing the same thing in Santa Ana where they proposed to put an urban supercharger in a city owned public parking garage downtown. This is Tesla focusing on adding some improved charging options for those who live in the area and don't have home/work charging.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Very true - the 57 is a local artery, not a major road.
Just your average local road, 6 lanes in both directions. ;)

For getting out of town, I used to take the 57 north to the 210 in order to bypass the I-5 crawl through downtown L.A., but this no longer works as well as it used to because there's just so much traffic everywhere. However, I would still be one of the "travelers" using this supercharger if/when it opens.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricar
My 2 cents.... I've worked in Brea for at least 7 years now and at every red light you will see Tesla's pass. Tesla ownership is very high here, be it from residents and commuters like me.

Having a available local supercharger will inevitably spur more sales due to visibility and peace of mind.

The mall is a much better location vs birch street since it's right off the freeway. I'll go and scout it out tomorrow. Additionally a charger at the mall goes hand in hand with the Tesla store there.

Reactions: KBaoBao
I’m new to Tesla and can’t figure out how to charge from any charger besides walk plugs & super chargers. I live less than a mile from Downtown Brea so I’d be so happy if they actually put one in there!!
First, welcome to TMC and if you just got your car, to Tesla! :)

There are J1772 charging stations at the Birch St. parking structure that is next to Brea Blvd. (if you can find one that is open). You should have received a J1772 adaptor with your car. You simply plug the adaptor into the cable, then plug into your car. If you need help with it, send me a PM and I can help you out.

There are several other J1772 Level 2 chargers around - check on the PlugShare app. If you don't have it, it is free download and is a must-have for every Tesla owner.

For the masses, yes. For me personally, I prefer the Brea Downtown location. Much better restaurant choices (and is only 1.25 miles from my house).

But apparently they don't plan their locations around my personal needs. Frickin' Elon...

ETA: The pin in your screen shot is just for the Brea Mall in general. The actual construction location is circled in the image below.

View attachment 552389

Checked out the site at the mall today. EA is nearly done. Ironically, Tesla had a canopy and cars out for test drives and car display behind the palm trees in my pic, across from red lobster. Checked out the Y while I was there.

This could have been a good Tesla station in Brea. Would have gone hand in hand with the store too. EA and EVGo have presence in that mall. Tesla needs some too.

Was also Birch street... Didn't think to scout the parking structure.

IMG_20200829_175435__01.jpg IMG_20200829_175400__01.jpg

Ahoy Brea-ians? haha
Been busy but the latest update from City of Brea was on July 7, 2020 Meeting.

This is directly from their records. You can see it from here . Under discussion:

Tesla Charging Station Layout Options
Public Works Director Olmos introduced the item and spoke about the recent City Council actions.

Trevor Wilson, Tesla, spoke about the different layout options, noting that Option 1 was most favorableto Tesla; the pros and cons to each option; accessibility; considerations and recommendation.

City Manager Gallardo indicated that he discussed the proposed options with the Brea Downtown Owners Association (BDOA), and they indicated that they prefer Option 2. He also noted the BDOAindicated that they are planning to enhance security on level B1.

Mayor Pro Tem Vargas inquired as to the cost difference between each option.

Trevor Wilson, Tesla, indicated that the cost for Option 2 is greater, however, Tesla will be paying forthe construction of any option selected, less the $96,000 from other funding sources.

The Council came to a consensus to select Option 2 as the layout for the Tesla Charging Stations.​

This is the last known update from the City of Brea's Minute Report. They came to a "consensus" to put a superchargers at the downtown Brea parking structure (the structure near Ralphs). The permits haven't been approved, but it seems we're one step closer!

Look what we have here. Guess its finally coming in summer 2021...still disappointed it will be in the lower levels. From what I remember, cell reception is terrible down there and would make for a very boring charging session if you stay in the car.

Agenda

BACKGROUND/DISCUSSION
Tesla is proposing to utilize two of their charging programs (Supercharging & Destination Charging) to install a total of 48 electric vehicles (EV) chargers in Parking Structure No.2 located at 175 S. Madrona Avenue. The proposal includes installation of 24 wall chargers (also known as Level II or Universal chargers for any EV user) and installation of 24 superchargers that are only used for Tesla vehicles. The City Council, at their July 7, 2020 meeting, reviewed and approved the charging station design layout Option 2 that calls for the charging stations to be located one level below the Ground level of the parking structure (Attachment 1). After the attached formal agreement is approved, Tesla intends on completing the final design, starting construction in early 2021 and completing the installation by Summer 2021.

The following is a summary of the significant deal-points in the attached agreement (Attachment 2):
  • Ten (10) year initial term and two additional five year extension renewal periods at the City’s discretion.
  • City to make a one-time contribution of $96,000 towards the installation of 24 Level II EV chargers.
  • If City does not extend the term, Tesla to remove all the equipment that relates to their supercharger technology and will leave the Wall Chargers (Level II) equipment to allow the City to continue to operate the system.
  • Tesla will own, operate and maintain all electric chargers at their costs, including electrical costs
  • Telsa will generate and supply all the necessary documentation to the City for compliance with the AQMD grant.
  • Tesla shall comply with the prevailing wage laws for any public work performed pursuant to this Agreement.

In addition, Tesla will handle all transactions and will collect fees for use of the chargers. Tesla has committed to charge a competitive rate as compared to other charging facilities in the vicinity. The City Attorney has reviewed the Tesla agreement and approves as to form.
SUMMARY/FISCAL IMPACT
Approval of this agreement will require the City to make a one-time payment of ninety-six thousand dollars ($96,000) to Tesla as a one-time contribution towards the costs incurred by Telsa in providing and installing the twenty-four (24) Wall Chargers (Level II). Staff would utilize the Mobile Source Air Pollution Reduction Review Committee (MSRC), which is a part of the Local Government Partnership Program grant in the amount of $56,500 and $39,500 from the AB 2766 Subvention Funds to cover the full cost of the contribution requirements with Tesla. Tesla will be responsible for all the costs to own, operate and maintain the system. There is no impact to the General Fund.