Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Breezewood, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped in on Saturday afternoon. Traffic through there is always a bit of a pain, with a long red-light cycle to turn back toward the turnpike. The superchargers themselves are pretty open and easy to access right at the entrance. First picture is taken from PoV waiting at the light.

The autotransformer boxes in the last picture were sparking a little discussion on the Martinsburg, WV thread.

IMG_20170826_145222710.jpg
IMG_20170826_145103458.jpg
IMG_20170826_144521535.jpg
IMG_20170826_144449198_HDR.jpg

Stopped for charge Tuesday morning. Plugged in on 3A. The charge rate was only 72kW. My charge rate chart showed an expected charge rate of 110kW+ when the battery is at 80 range miles. I moved over to 2B and then got 112kW. I reported the issue to Tesla. Even with this issue, the ability to skip Hagerstown saved me 20 minutes for the overall trip!

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
I stopped at Breezewood SpC a couple of times this week on my way to and from Pittsburgh. The Tesla navigation leaving Breezewood is messed up. If you weren't paying attention, it would have you go straight onto PA 149 for a while and then do a U-turn and come back, instead of just making a left turn.

Breezewood Nav screenshot.jpg
Did you submit that to Tesla?

I stopped at Breezewood SpC a couple of times this week on my way to and from Pittsburgh. The Tesla navigation leaving Breezewood is messed up. If you weren't paying attention, it would have you go straight onto PA 149 for a while and then do a U-turn and come back, instead of just making a left turn.

Breezewood Nav screenshot.jpg

Wow. I have noticed some equally wacky navigation that never seemed to happen prior to a few months ago / prior to the updates for pre-conditioning (Defroster and heated Steering wheel).

I'm thinking they silently made changes to the Trip Planner and didn't begin it but something has definitely changed and not for the better. I recently visited some new locations such as Mobile, AL and the navigation had me exit the Interstate several exits early and head straight through town rather than taking the Interstate all the way to the exit for the supercharger.

In unfamiliar areas like that it added 30-45 minutes to that section and I wasn't amused. After a few of those instances I ended up cross-checking the vehicle navigation with Waze or Google Maps navigation and sometimes the difference was staggering and I'd end up needing to follow the Waze navigation.

P.S. The trick at Breezewood is to exit the Sheetz to the right of the lot (not at the light) as this usually avoids sitting at the lengthy red light.

Reactions: bhzmark
Wow. I have noticed some equally wacky navigation that never seemed to happen prior to a few months ago / prior to the updates for pre-conditioning (Defroster and heated Steering wheel).
I've seen those wacky navigation issues all along. The trip last Sept/Oct had lots of them. I've learned always to use Waze or Google Maps to double check the Tesla Nav.

Here are some examples from that trip, with quotes from my Tripline log:

Bloomsburg,PA
the stupid Tesla navigation cost us about 15 or 20 minutes by taking a 'short cut' onto a local road into with backed up traffic & roadworks.

Little Rock, AR Supercharger
The stupid navigation system did it again! It took us way beyond the appropriate exit for the SpC and then looped back

Texarkana, TX Supercharger
We're back in Texarkana. Much easier getting back here, which confirms/reminds me that the nav screwed up on the way to Little Rock, taking us on a 5 mile local road excursion when we could have got right onto I-30.

Springfield, MO Supercharger
The Tesla Nav info was bad for finding this SpC - it had us exit I-44 one exit too early at Exit 77 and then drive a local road for 3 miles even though the Supercharger is right next to exit 80 of I-40. When resuming our trip on I-40 E towards Rolla, the navigation wanted to take us back to Exit 77 to get on the highway even though we could see Exit 80 from the SpC.

Hawthorne, NV Supercharger
Nav has SpC on wrong side of road. At Philips 76 gas station.

There were several others too, which I apparently didn't note down, including one where it gave left turn instructions too late and almost had me drive the wrong way on a highway exit ramp.

There was one time where the Tesla Nav won out over Google maps (but only with hindsight, since we chose to follow Google Maps) - that was from Lima, MT to West Yellowstone, where Tesla Nav wants you to take a 169 mile trip and Google Maps offers a much shorter 105 mile trip. What Google maps doesn't tell you is that most of the drive is on a dirt road! OK in dry weather, but it could be a disaster in rain:

Google Maps

Even Waze was defeated yesterday when we tried to drive to the Frick from our hotel in Pittsburgh while the St Patrick's Day parade was still happening (starting right outside our hotel at the Convention Center). We ended up having to eyeball it and take a bridge across the Allegheny and follow route 28 for a while before crossing back over.

BTW, I did a full charge last Tuesday at home before setting off for Pittsburgh and got 284 miles, although yesterday a full charge at the hotel only got me 275 (I think).

I've seen those wacky navigation issues all along. The trip last Sept/Oct had lots of them. I've learned always to use Waze or Google Maps to double check the Tesla Nav. Here are some examples from that trip, with quotes from my Tripline log:

Springfield, MO Supercharger
The Tesla Nav info was bad for finding this SpC - it had us exit I-44 one exit too early at Exit 77 and then drive a local road for 3 miles even though the Supercharger is right next to exit 80 of I-40. When resuming our trip on I-40 E towards Rolla, the navigation wanted to take us back to Exit 77 to get on the highway even though we could see Exit 80 from the SpC.

At least it is consistent. I hit this exact same "took 1 exit too early off the Interstate" route 2 weeks ago and at 7:20 am on a Tuesday there was clearly zero-point-zero traffic on I-44 to warrant taking the road next to it. Several of these 5-10 and sometimes 20-minute wrong turns really add up when it happens 6 times in a day as that is an entire hour lost simply from the Nav advising the wrong exit. This Springfield, MO mistake took 10 minutes to go the last 3 miles when the supercharger is 0.9 miles off of the correct exit ramp and should take no more than 2 minutes (at that time of day when I was there).

This mistake was after 9,900 miles and numerous other Nav mistakes that I just stopped documenting as much as the issues earlier in the 10,000-mile trip. I just didn't see these kinds of errors prior to several months ago but haven't taken a long road trip to unfamiliar area since last Fall so it was probably happening back then as you indicate. I'll have to use it for local routes and see how it fares.

upload_2018-3-20_1-56-36.png