Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brewer, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 covers on, signage in place (but covered). I think we're just waiting on a transformer at this point.

20160802_163850.jpg
20160802_163853.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tga and Gwgan
8 covers on, signage in place (but covered). I think we're just waiting on a transformer at this point.

View attachment 188423 View attachment 188424

Does anyone know how long it takes from this point, generally?

I'll be cruising through on Sunday, and the supercharger will just get me to Moncton NB. Without the SC, I'll be at Darling's Nissan.

I'm assuming there is little chance it will be installed and turned on by the weekend. Right?

Or, is the transformer the last step and does the power company "turn it on" at the same time they install it?

Wait. That's still not even repaved, is it? Yeah, it's not going to be ready by the weekend. On the way back on the 18th, hopefully it will be done.

No, wait again. That's just dirty asphalt. They never dug up the pavement, did they? So they just need to landscape around the charging stalls or whatever they're going to do I guess?

I'll be cruising through on Sunday, and the supercharger will just get me to Moncton NB. Without the SC, I'll be at Darling's Nissan.
Bangor/Brewer and Augusta are only 110km apart. Even if this SC is not yet online, you shouldn't need a very long charge in Bangor provided you borrow or acquire a CHAdeMO adaptor. I'll be back in Toronto this Saturday - will that be too late for you?

I think it is paved, it's just dusty. I think all the trenching and equipment was placed was behind the existing pavement.

This is the first Supercharger in Emera's service area, so how long a transformer might take is a pure guess.

Sigh.

But out of curiosity, is the transformer install / lighting up the chargers all the same day? Or is it: 1) install hardware 2) inspect 3) some days later electric company wanders over and flips the switch on whenever they feel like it?

Thanks!

Bangor/Brewer and Augusta are only 110km apart. Even if this SC is not yet online, you shouldn't need a very long charge in Bangor provided you borrow or acquire a CHAdeMO adaptor. I'll be back in Toronto this Saturday - will that be too late for you?

Good point! I was going to skip Augusta (it actually lengthens the trip from Magog->Moncton compared to Brewer), but then my gf's mother decided to come with us and she wanted to drive more through the US than we planned (i.e. to see more than just Maine), so we adjusted trajectory to cruise through South Burlington, VT, and more or less directly east from there. It's a longer, slower trip, but I don't care. My gf was originally in a hurry while I preferred to meander, but her mother has won that argument for me!

Saturday will actually be too late for me to borrow your CHAdeMO adapter because we're planning to leave either Friday or at the crack of dawn Saturday because we're taking her elderly mother and young son, so we don't want to be on the road late at night. (I was going to write you about the adapter but I've been swamped with getting work done before leaving--sorry.) But I found someone in Montreal who has one loaned out to a guy here in Toronto, and needs it returned so I'm playing FedEx and borrowing/returning it.

So it looks like CHAdeMO will be the word in Bangor this weekend. On the way back, we'll cruise through the Brewer SC.

And when I go back to see my mother at the end of the month for her bday, it will surely be open.

Now if I can just convince my gf to drive back in Oct when we go on vacation... She wants to fly because we're only going for 4 days and she doesn't want to tack on an extra 4 but I think the voyage is the destination and all that. :-/

Thanks again for the offer to let me use your adapter.

You've been on quite a long trip, haven't you?

Good point! I was going to skip Augusta (it actually lengthens the trip from Magog->Moncton compared to Brewer), but then my gf's mother decided to come with us and she wanted to drive more through the US than we planned (i.e. to see more than just Maine), so we adjusted trajectory to cruise through South Burlington, VT, and more or less directly east from there. It's a longer, slower trip, but I don't care. My gf was originally in a hurry while I preferred to meander, but her mother has won that argument for me!

Saturday will actually be too late for me to borrow your CHAdeMO adapter because we're planning to leave either Friday or at the crack of dawn Saturday because we're taking her elderly mother and young son, so we don't want to be on the road late at night. (I was going to write you about the adapter but I've been swamped with getting work done before leaving--sorry.) But I found someone in Montreal who has one loaned out to a guy here in Toronto, and needs it returned so I'm playing FedEx and borrowing/returning it.

So it looks like CHAdeMO will be the word in Bangor this weekend. On the way back, we'll cruise through the Brewer SC.

And when I go back to see my mother at the end of the month for her bday, it will surely be open.

Now if I can just convince my gf to drive back in Oct when we go on vacation... She wants to fly because we're only going for 4 days and she doesn't want to tack on an extra 4 but I think the voyage is the destination and all that. :-/

I JUST drove this route, East to West from Augusta to South Burlington. If you have the time and the guts, you must climb Mt Washington! Ben & Jerry's was a good stop too.

It's a slow meandering drive all told, but lovely. We were able to go S Burlington to Cornwall in one shot. Expect construction delays in Maine. Please watch out for Supercharger throttling and report back.

I've been on the road since Canada Day but I'm in the US since yesterday and my car is at the Toronto Park'N Fly (being charged for free - I should add!!).

Safe travels!

Be aware their charger was acting up again when I went through enroute to Augusta a couple of weeks ago. After 15 minutes it overheated. Manager said he'd call to get the air filters cleaned. Not sure if it was done yet. So, keep an eye on your charge rate, let it cool if it trips, and then start again.

They also seemed a little sad to hear about Brewer! The don't sell many electrics there (due to the remote nature of the area = longer drives) and enjoyed the Tesla visits once in a while. Great people.

But out of curiosity, is the transformer install / lighting up the chargers all the same day? Or is it: 1) install hardware 2) inspect 3) some days later electric company wanders over and flips the switch on whenever they feel like it?

Nope it tends to be separate events/days:
  • Transformer install
  • Meter install/power on
  • Tesla coming out to test, adjust, and enable the Superchargers
So even once the electric company turns the power on Tesla has to get someone out there to do the final validation and testing before it can be used.

Really looking forward to hopefully using this charger from Aug 15 when we go up to Acadia and/or on our return around Aug. 19th.
I emailed Ruby Tuesday's to let them know how supportive I am of their restaurant putting in these chargers. The more of us that do that I think will increase the number of electric chargers in general we will have in the future. Look forward to giving them our business as well.