Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bristol, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
Thanks to @mozart626 for discovering plans for a Supercharger in Bristol, TN that he posted in the Wytheville, VA Supercharger thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum.

The location is in The Pinnacle shopping center as discussed in Planning Commission Meeting minutes from the City of Bristol, TN. The site plan for 8 stalls was approved on January, 23, 2017 according to the minutes.

Map link to approximate location.

Screenshot 2017-04-20 18.06.20.png

Great to see. This location was both needed and expected.

I-81 was complete*, but it was a 200 mile gap to Knoxville, TN and about 175 miles to Asheville, NC, so this will definitely help improve the coverage.

* Superchargers allowed end-to-end travel

Last edited:
I am also working on tri-cities destination charging. We have Rush Street in Kingsport approved and the chargers shipped and Meadowview has been approved. I am also trying to get Bass Pro or Chick-fil-A on board at the Pinacles. If you are in the area drop me a message

Great on Meadowview! Best hotel in the area, I'm sure there will be visitors who will appreciate that on their stay. Any thoughts in JC? The Carnegie?

Bristol, TN

Interstates: I-81
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11,US-19, US-58,US-421

I-81
To: Wytheville, VA - 76.5 miles
Diversion: 3.2 miles
To: Lexington, VA - 195 miles

And now the huge list of other direct links:
To: Asheville, NC (I-81, I-26) - 98.5 miles
To: Knoxville, TN (I-81, I-40) - 123 miles
To: London, KY (US-11W, US-58, US-25E, I-75) - 151 miles

A good split of Wytheville, VA - Knoxville, TN, on I-81. But othergooglewise, fastest routes don't come through here.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv
I am also working on tri-cities destination charging. We have Rush Street in Kingsport approved and the chargers shipped and Meadowview has been approved. I am also trying to get Bass Pro or Chick-fil-A on board at the Pinacles. If you are in the area drop me a message

Bristol, TN
428 Pinnacle Pkwy

Thanks for your hard work. Will be looking forward to using the new chargers.

I am really excited about this as we are building a home outside Knoxville and the Wytheville to Knoxville stretch is long. Since the pictures show construction has actually begun, does anyone have any projection how long the construction process will take and when the SCs might be turned on?

Anyone know how to notify supercharge.info of the state of this site?. It needs to be changed to under construction.
Their About tab:

About
This site was created by Tesla forum member Blueshift. Tesla enthusiasts from around the globe have contributed by sending notification of new sites, status updates, and corrections. Anyone may write with new information. Include a link to the information source if possible.

Their About tab:

About
This site was created by Tesla forum member Blueshift. Tesla enthusiasts from around the globe have contributed by sending notification of new sites, status updates, and corrections. Anyone may write with new information. Include a link to the information source if possible.

Thanks. Email has been sent.

It may have been better for the station to be in Colonial Heights, TN, at say I-81 exit 59 (Rt.36) some 15 miles southwest. This would split the Knoxville, TN to Wytheville, VA distance more evenly and would better serve the I-26 intersection (primary supercharger function) though there are fewer food and shopping options (secondary).

I am really excited about this as we are building a home outside Knoxville and the Wytheville to Knoxville stretch is long. Since the pictures show construction has actually begun, does anyone have any projection how long the construction process will take and when the SCs might be turned on?

If anyone made a guess, it'd be like picking lottery numbers. A few have opened in less than 28 days, some have taken over a year - and most have fallen in between. The local utility company as well as the local inspection process play a role in how long it takes to open. I've seen construction end on sites, but then the utility company take 3 months to deliver the transformer. And sometimes, it takes a while for Tesla to send out their "tester" to check the site and "turn it on."

Best not to count on it for at least 2 to 3 months. That seems to be the over-under.

It may have been better for the station to be in Colonial Heights, TN, at say I-81 exit 59 (Rt.36) some 15 miles southwest. This would split the Knoxville, TN to Wytheville, VA distance more evenly and would better serve the I-26 intersection (primary supercharger function) though there are fewer food and shopping options (secondary).

When the Pinnacle was being developed, there was a potentially competing development happening at the intersection of I-81 and I-26 in Kingsport. This was referred to as Heritage Point... my understanding was that the developers thought they had Bass Pro lined up, only to lose them to the Pinnacle. That spot has sat empty for 5 years now. It's been renamed Tri Cities Crossing, and apparently is going to be developed into an automotive mall (Our local Mercedes / BMW / Porsche dealer has confirmed they are moving to the location). Given the lack of progress / restaurants / amenities at the 81/26 intersection I think the Pinnacle location makes the most sense.

Another thing to consider is that I-26 ends at Kingsport. There's nothing to really speak of north into SW Virginia (don't get me wrong... it's beautiful country, but there's not much there from a population standpoint)... Traffic flows through Bristol.

Reactions: vdiv and dhrivnak