Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brockville, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty sure that it has always been on the web page since it was first announced - 2/3 years ago.

I'm a fairly new Tesla owner so you're probably right. I had heard it had been removed from the Tesla webpage at one point.

Brockville seems like a great location for one, though. The distance between Kingston/Ottawa/Cornwall can be a bit tight for SR+'ers in the winter and it might reduce some of the traffic in Kingston

My theory about Brockville Superchargers is that they may be looking for a better site... just a theory guys!

With the recent engagement of Walmart Canada to buy a lot of semi trucks from Tesla, they will need Superchargers (MegaChargers???) with an easy access for semi trucks from the 401 between Toronto and Montreal.
The proposed site for sure is very close by the 401, I know the place I drove by at least once every week, but not easy for semi trucks.
The best place would be a place like the OnRoute stops with access from both directions. Just a thought.

Good theory, but I think you will need separate megachargers for semis that will be different sites than what we have for cars. So I don't think the location of the Brockville site will have anything to do with charging of semis.

By the way, it would be interesting to figure out the power requirements for a megacharger and whether that much grid capacity exists at potential sites. I really doubt that many truck stops or ON Route locations have high capacity transmission lines as many of them are in rural areas which was pointed out by @mknox on here years ago. Is it reasonable to think that for semis that each charger would output 1MW (4X the V3 SC capacity)? So let's say you wanted to be able to charge 8 semis at once. That would require 8MW of capacity at the site. Would that type of capacity exist at sites? If not, how hard (and expensive) is it to expand to that size?

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
With Bancroft and Collingwood open, and an actual plan to order superchargers (as opposed to a long list planned for this year), I think it's more hopeful that Tesla will try to get this one built this year. That's not to say there might not be more delays, of course.

I would like the think that the ones that are taking years to get built are due to problems with either (1) finding a suitable location or (2) permitting or other local issues. Hopefully this is (2) and is dealt with soon.

That's why I'm hopeful. They're communicating that they're planning to start the build in 9 months, so I expect that means they have a location and have a deal in principle with the landowner. Permitting could derail it further, but someone who's done it often should hopefully have a feel for how long that takes to get through.

Does look like expected dates for superchargers are really out in left field. This thread started in 2018 and now we are 2021. I really hope they do something soon for Brockville as this is a location I would use weekly for sure. Still scratching my head on the one in Cornwall, way too far off from the 401 at a Hotel with nothing really close by. Was there yesterday and took the last stall. Only convenience is for Americans crossing to Canada at the Cornwall area then again they would most likely all travel out to the 401 which would have been a much better location for the vast majority.

IMHO the best place for Superchargers would be the service centres located conveniently all along the 401

Only convenience is for Americans crossing to Canada at the Cornwall area
Come on now! Canadians travel to the US sometimes too! At least when Trudeau lets them!

Cornwall was an early site. It's 7 years old now. There are a lot of headscratcher locations from that era. I think it was harder to get businesses to sign up for a supercharger back then, so when they found one that agreed to give up parking spaces, they jumped on it.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Come on now! Canadians travel to the US sometimes too! At least when Trudeau lets them!
Pretty sure the vast majority of cars come from the 401. Point was it is an out of the way location, close to or at the 401 would have been much more convenient for most. Anyone living in Cornwall would most likely charge at home unless they live in an apartment with no place to charge.

Pretty sure the vast majority of cars come from the 401. Point was it is an out of the way location, close to or at the 401 would have been much more convenient for most. Anyone living in Cornwall would most likely charge at home unless they live in an apartment with no place to charge.
You might have missed the 2nd paragraph in my post. I was agreeing with you.

*sigh*
As per car map, Cornwall is currently closed and Kingston shows 2 stalls out of 8 out. My SR+ Is making me do a detour by Casselman on my way from MTL to Toronto. #WeNeedBrockville.

Attachments

• 702BEDEA-FDB4-4420-A7F7-2368299B9DC5.jpeg
    702BEDEA-FDB4-4420-A7F7-2368299B9DC5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • A5F9808F-83F8-4DD4-B03D-CE3AE54F9F9A.jpeg
    A5F9808F-83F8-4DD4-B03D-CE3AE54F9F9A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
*sigh*
As per car map, Cornwall is currently closed and Kingston shows 2 stalls out of 8 out. My SR+ Is making me do a detour by Casselman on my way from MTL to Toronto. #WeNeedBrockville.
Vive le chademo libre?

But seriously, any news? Is Smart Centres still a location?

Possible locations:
- Smart Centres
- 3 hotels: comfort inn, days in, and holdiay in express at Stewart Blvd.
- anything on Parkdale Ave?