Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brockville, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going from Orangeville to Ottawa (which I do a few times a year) is easily done in summer, with a stop in Kingston. In winter, it's iffy to get to Kingston, so a stop in Port Hope and Kingston is necessary. Really, Port Hope and Brockville would be nicer; break up the drive better.

Also
I have had issues with Kingston. The only time I nearly bricked the car, was due to Kingston running at about 30KW. I was due at a wedding, so I couldn't get a fast enough charge. I waited until I had about 15KM over the required range to Kanata, and left. I got there with 3 KM of range, and got to see the wedding. (There was a 15 amp duplex to charge, so I limped back to a Plugshare at the Kanata Library, afterward). It wasn't the only time I've had issues at Kingston.
Were all 6 stalls running at 30kW? I've never seen an issue that affects all stalls at once; whenever I see a low charge rate, changing to another stall usually fixes it (and then I report the issue to Tesla).

Were all 6 stalls running at 30kW? I've never seen an issue that affects all stalls at once; whenever I see a low charge rate, changing to another stall usually fixes it (and then I report the issue to Tesla).
I was the only car charging (this time). I arrived with about 15% battery range. It was very hot that day - could have been a brown out - and I tried 2 other stalls - all the same. I've charged at Kingston a dozen times. Usually, the biggest issue is to get a stall that isn't shared, as there are usually 4-5 cars there.

I should have contacted Tesla this time, but I was already late, and pre-occupied with a (very) panicky spouse, and a bunch of other issues. I should have stopped at Port Hope (Belleville wasn't open yet)

Right now I am in Toronto staying with my family here for 2 days. Though, my main focus is the trip thereand why we need a Supercharger in Brockville. Our present car is a 2015 S70D with now a range of 365 km. Our goal was to achieve a straight hit to Kingston, then to Belleville and Pickering. The nav suggested that we didn’t have enough range to get directly to Kingston so suggested a Cornwall, Kingston, Port Hope, Toronto sweep.

This is what I want to avoid:

• long drive off highway: Cornwall
  • overuse by locals: Kingston. Then again, who doesn’t love picking up something from the Columbia store?
  • what can I say about Port Hope?
  • Need extra range when in Toronto: Pickering?

This is why we would need another location in Brockville, to remove a charge stop (leaving from West-end Montreal), so to make a Brockville-Belleville-Pickering sweep (Pointe-Claire if leaving from the east), instead of Cornwall-Kingston-Port Hope-(Pickering), making another stop for us.

Anyway in the end we got lucky to skip Port Hope and to go straight to Pickering. So for now, our plan is to hit Vaughan Mills tomorrow and possibly Vaughan 2 to see if anything’s up. Will also check Brockville on the way back.

Missing letters on the screen:
C37C1C5A-DD8F-43B7-9874-49B34939F290.jpeg

Attachments

• EA56DDF3-DCF8-4FFD-AE51-C25A770E7699.jpeg
    EA56DDF3-DCF8-4FFD-AE51-C25A770E7699.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 8010976E-792B-4290-AD8C-BC2794D57432.jpeg
    8010976E-792B-4290-AD8C-BC2794D57432.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Disagree
Reactions: RedOctober
Though, my main focus is the trip there and why we need a Supercharger in Brockville.

Brockville would indeed be incredibly useful.

That said, when I started driving Tesla there were no Superchargers anywhere, and I had to spend hours at a KAO to drive between Ottawa and Toronto. People really don't realize just how good we have it now!

Reactions: PLUS EV
Belleville has 20.
If I can barely make it from Montreal to Kingston how am I going to make it to Belleville? ;)

Also in the other direction I can only barely make it from Belleville to Cornwall. Would be nice to stop at Brockville. Less stressful than getting to Cornwall with 15km range left.

Edit: I would really like to stop at Belleville and Brockville. 20 chargers each and right off the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
If I can barely make it from Montreal to Kingston how am I going to make it to Belleville? ;)

Also in the other direction I can only barely make it from Belleville to Cornwall. Would be nice to stop at Brockville. Less stressful than getting to Cornwall with 15km range left.

Edit: I would really like to stop at Belleville and Brockville. 20 chargers each and right off the highway.
You can barely make it to Kingston from Montreal with a long range Model 3?!? Toronto to Kingston is even shorter. You might want to schedule an appointment with the service centre!

You can barely make it to Kingston from Montreal with a long range Model 3?!? Toronto to Kingston is even shorter. You might want to schedule an appointment with the service centre!

This is AWD long range at -8 or -9C. Driving at 120 km/h average. Maybe 125. And climate at 20. Done the trip to Montreal twice under those conditions. Need more than 90% charge to reach Kingston from Montreal. And 90% charge barely gets from Belleville to Cornwall.

Winter efficiency at that is just under 60% (high 50s). In October was getting 80-85% efficiency at 120 km/h. I can get exact numbers from Teslafi.

Oh coming from the East. So stop st Cornwall.

Also you just said you can barely make it to Kingston from Montreal (285 kms) ... Then said you can barely make it from Belleville to Cornwall (252 kms) .
What battery / car do you have? Are you driving at 130? My P90D isn't exactly great on 'gas' but it can go 250 kms averaging 300 wh/km...thats speeding in the cold with the heat blasting.

If I slow down in the cold I can get 300kms out of it and I I go 105 and keep the heat down I can get 340 out of it. In winter I'm saying.

Last edited:
Oh coming from the East. So stop st Cornwall.

Also you just said you can barely make it to Kingston from Montreal (285 kms) ... Then said you can barely make it from Belleville to Cornwall (252 kms) .
What battery / car do you have? Are you driving at 130? My P90D isn't exactly great on 'gas' but it can go 250 kms averaging 300 wh/km...thats speeding in the cold with the heat blasting.

If I slow down in the cold I can get 300kms out of it and I I go 105 and keep the heat down I can get 340 out of it. In winter I'm saying.

This is speeding a bit average to 120 km/h but that's a fair bit at 130 km/h. The reason for the difference is that for Belleville to Cornwall I charge to 90% and from Montreal to Kingston I charge to 95-100%.

I'm getting 230-240 Wh/km under those conditions. Last time I got 236 Wh/km from Belleville to Cornwall (58.9% efficiency). 86% of total battery capacity used, at -9C temperature.

210Wh/km (65.6% efficiency) last time from west end of Montreal to Kingston 83% battery used, but that was only -1.5 C temperature.

So it is very speed and temperature dependent.

This is speeding a bit average to 120 km/h but that's a fair bit at 130 km/h. The reason for the difference is that for Belleville to Cornwall I charge to 90% and from Montreal to Kingston I charge to 95-100%.

I'm getting 230-240 Wh/km under those conditions. Last time I got 236 Wh/km from Belleville to Cornwall (58.9% efficiency). 86% of total battery capacity used, at -9C temperature.

210Wh/km (65.6% efficiency) last time from west end of Montreal to Kingston 83% battery used, but that was only -1.5 C temperature.

So it is very speed and temperature dependent.
got it.

So if it's normally a two stop trip by speeding, you should try to go 105 kmh in behind a truck with autopilot set on follow distance 1...I bet you a Coke you can do it in one supercharging stop..and by doing that will actually save time. That will save you the time of stopping twice, and you'll also be supercharging from a low state of charge meaning you'll get a bigger power draw (faster) for the lower part of the battery.

Bjorn Nyland did a test of a one stop trip...i.e. do you speed to the stop and supercharge more or do you go slow so you supercharge less. In that situation, you speed and supercharge more but that's also in Europe where speeding means you can go 180.

got it.

So if it's normally a two stop trip by speeding, you should try to go 105 kmh in behind a truck with autopilot set on follow distance 1...I bet you a Coke you can do it in one supercharging stop..and by doing that will actually save time. That will save you the time of stopping twice, and you'll also be supercharging from a low state of charge meaning you'll get a bigger power draw (faster) for the lower part of the battery.

Except I'm almost empty at the second stop and I don't need a full charge at the second stop only need about 200km of range from Cornwall to Montreal.

So it would work out to 45 minutes charging at Belleville, 20 minutes at Cornwall, averaging 120 km/h and driving for 5 hours. 6 hours and 5 minutes total trip time.

Or maybe 50 minutes charging half way and 105km/h and thus 5 hours 40 minutes drive time. 6 hours 30 minutes total time. Plus I don't want to draft behind a truck all the way and don't have autopilot.

Edit: Actually closer to to the same since Cornwall is off the highway a bit so I lose 5-10 minutes to and from the second supercharger, but would not apply once Brockville is up.

Edit 2: According to abetterrouteplanner the optimal trip at -10C is to stop at Belleville (arrive with 16% battery), Kingston (arrive with 21% battery) and Cornwall (arrive with 10% battery). 5 hours 15 minutes overall, and 4 hours 27 minutes driving so average of about 135 km/h.

Last edited: