Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brockville, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just found out about Petro Canada's fast charging network...
EV Fast Charge car charging stations

They are building it out across Canada, and Napanee is already done they say... and energy is free for a while.. but it only has CHADeMO or CSS. I'm hoping there's a new CSS adapter releasing soon for North American Tesla customers... but not holding my breath.
Looking at this map, I couldn't help but laugh - The text at the top talks about driving coast to coast in an electric car, but they have huge gaps between Winnipeg and Wawa in their network and no car that uses CCS/CHADeMO could make those gaps without charging in between somewhere (Wawa to Nipigon? Good luck.)

They're going to need to plan a whole lot more stations through northern Ontario if they expect this to actually be viable through that stretch.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarcoRP
Do they even have any Petro Canada stations between Wawa and Nipigon? According to the Petro Canada website it does not appear that they do. They are in the Soo, Wawa, Nipigon and T-Bay.
Pretty sure they don't, that list sounds right - and I agree it's unlikely they will open up new locations in between just to serve as EV chargers at this time (maybe in a few years when electric vehicles are more prevalent). My main issue here is with how this is being framed by Petro Canada as a network that supports coast to coast driving for electric vehicles when that claim is so easily disproven - Wawa to Nipigon is 365km, a Model 3 SR+ has an EPA rating of 386 km, and I'm pretty sure that range is greater than any CCS/CHADeMO vehicle currently on the market today (which doesn't even get into issues like decreased range in winter or when using heating or etc), so this network does not actually support coast to coast driving as it stands today with that gap in there. Driving in winter conditions makes even more of the gaps unpassable due to the decreased range at -40C.

Pretty sure they don't, that list sounds right - and I agree it's unlikely they will open up new locations in between just to serve as EV chargers at this time (maybe in a few years when electric vehicles are more prevalent). My main issue here is with how this is being framed by Petro Canada as a network that supports coast to coast driving for electric vehicles when that claim is so easily disproven - Wawa to Nipigon is 365km, a Model 3 SR+ has an EPA rating of 386 km, and I'm pretty sure that range is greater than any CCS/CHADeMO vehicle currently on the market today (which doesn't even get into issues like decreased range in winter or when using heating or etc), so this network does not actually support coast to coast driving as it stands today with that gap in there. Driving in winter conditions makes even more of the gaps unpassable due to the decreased range at -40C.

PetroCan is building part of the network with other parties, all funded by NR Can, it looks like HydroOne is also building out parts of the network in Northern Ontario, look for 2587265 Ontario Inc here- Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative - Successful Applicants – Phase 2 | Natural Resources Canada

There are non-Teslas with more range than the SR+, Kona, Bolt, Soul EV, Niro EV, all have about 400 km, and they are much better at getting their rated range than my SR+

Looking at this map, I couldn't help but laugh - The text at the top talks about driving coast to coast in an electric car, but they have huge gaps between Winnipeg and Wawa in their network and no car that uses CCS/CHADeMO could make those gaps without charging in between somewhere (Wawa to Nipigon? Good luck.)

They're going to need to plan a whole lot more stations through northern Ontario if they expect this to actually be viable through that stretch.
We are way off-topic here, but a Model S100D or Model X100D can easily make it from Wawa to Nipigon any time of year.

We are way off-topic here, but a Model S100D or Model X100D can easily make it from Wawa to Nipigon any time of year.
Agree, but the vehicles that use CCS/CHADeMO natively (i.e. not Teslas) are nowhere near that range, so the PetroCan marketing claim on that page remains false for the majority of potential users of their stations. We also haven't gotten into how winding and hilly that stretch of road is, and the resultant impact on mileage due to elevation changes; suffice it to say, I still think the marketing claim is false given their target audience.

I also agree that this probably isn't a constructive tangent to continue on given that this is the Brockville supercharger thread - I won't respond further on this tangent.

Agree, but the vehicles that use CCS/CHADeMO natively (i.e. not Teslas) are nowhere near that range, so the PetroCan marketing claim on that page remains false for the majority of potential users of their stations. We also haven't gotten into how winding and hilly that stretch of road is, and the resultant impact on mileage due to elevation changes; suffice it to say, I still think the marketing claim is false given their target audience.

I also agree that this probably isn't a constructive tangent to continue on given that this is the Brockville supercharger thread - I won't respond further on this tangent.
Chademo adapter.

what is SR+ range @ 100% ? Kemptville is only 140 kms from Kingston and 220 kms from the Bay Bridge. I'd have thought you'd be good to get there and back to Belleville on a charge although if you're deep in the county that can knacker a bunch of range.

Next time consider going up 37 from Belleville to HWY 7, and then across to Kemptville. Or go up 15 from Kingston. Both routes are shorter than the 401 to 416, and because you're going slower (90 most of the way with some slowdowns), you will probably set a record for best range efficiency you've ever done.

I drove to Montebello from the Belleville SC this route and averaged 161 wh/km on a Model S P90D. My long term average (3 years) is 240 wh/km lol
Well, a number of circumstances conspired against us. You're right about the ballpark distance, but from 95% SoC leaving Kingston, and the actual distance to travel 147kms each way from and to the Kingston SC, plus a 5 km detour for a bite to eat, and a quick demo ride for the father of the groom, we were cutting it pretty close. Hwy 15 may have been a good option. If I'm in similar circumstances again, I may choose the slower "scenic" route.

Petro Canada is a joke.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vawlkus and MarcoRP
I don't understand some of the hate here towards Petro Canada and their new charging network plans. They are offering the first decent high speed (non-Tesla) chargers in the country. Furthermore, they are actually doing it. They are being built. It seems to me that this is a very important step towards a brighter EV future. If these stations start filling in holes in the Tesla network or provide high speed charging in convenient locations, then they will make things better for all of us.

Now all I need to do is decide whether to pick up a chademo adapter or wait for a possible CSS NA adapter.

The cross country CCS network is being built out, but only a small part is PetroCan. There are over 250 sites being funded by the Federal Government, only 46 of those sites are PetroCan - here is the overall picture - NR Can Phase 2 Level 3 Chargers - Google My Maps

I don't understand some of the hate here towards Petro Canada and their new charging network plans. They are offering the first decent high speed (non-Tesla) chargers in the country. Furthermore, they are actually doing it. They are being built. It seems to me that this is a very important step towards a brighter EV future. If these stations start filling in holes in the Tesla network or provide high speed charging in convenient locations, then they will make things better for all of us.

Now all I need to do is decide whether to pick up a chademo adapter or wait for a possible CSS NA adapter.
Speaking for myself, my frustration is not about PetroCan's network - I think all the work they are doing is awesome and it is great to see competition and more options in this space. My frustration is with my perception that they are advertising this network as being capable of something it is not at present - they appeared to say their network supported (by itself) coast to coast EV travel, but it does not due to large gaps. As long as they aren't making easily disprovable claims like that, everything is awesome and it's great to see more choice (and chargers)!

chademo is so slow that I don't see the point
tesla superchargers are abundant and getting better weekly, so really these adapters are for rare occasions. I'd hold out for some kind of CCS adapter.

chademo is so slow that I don't see the point
tesla superchargers are abundant and getting better weekly, so really these adapters are for rare occasions. I'd hold out for some kind of CCS adapter.
That is my thought right now. I am not in any immediate hurry but I would like a ccs adapter at some point to add charging options in the future. Preferably one that can handle 150kW+

Reactions: Vawlkus