Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brooklyn, NY - N. 12th Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$20 upcharge for Teslas?! That's downright ridiculous! It's not a supercharger- it's a very expensive fast destination charger...

I have charged here several times and was never charged the $20 exotics upcharge. I was charged each time $5 extra (thus $10 total for 1 hour, $14 for up to 3 hours). The price list on the valet window mentioned a $5 SUV charge.

If there is a special event, you can avoid the $30 rate by eating at Leuca and having them validate your ticket.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
According to Tesla SC map N 12 St. is a supercharger location. Strange they would charge.
upload_2018-2-2_12-27-13.png

I think it is a Supercharger. I was there this weekend. Here is the TeslaFi data - 400 V, 88 AMP max 65% to 100% in 2 hours (see image)

PS: Love TeslaFi - use my code and get a one month trial (rather that just 2 weeks)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-08 20.11.26.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-08 20.11.26.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 44
guys I charge here once a week in winter and 2-3 times a month in summer. this is my go to SCer as I don't have a way of charging at home or at work. i'm actually shocked I have not yet posted to this thread.I could have sworn I wrote a review of this SCer after I 1st charged here 2

I happen to live on the UWS so its a 25 minute drive (without traffic) to the William Vale and I find that they are the most accommodating SCer location in NYC. Also.. for $6 (used to by $5) it was the best SCing deal in NYC... the SCer closest to my home has a $40 for a single hour of parking and I am always shocked to see cars charging there according to my NAV screen. it must be people with monthly spots at this location. I cannot imagine anyone paying $40 just to charge there.

Does anyone know if this SCer is a "high usage station: Charging limit set to 80%?"

I wanted to get to 90% so I set nav to take me to Boston, MA in the hopes of bypassing this.. I had spotty internet service and the nav had not figured out the best route to take when I left the car with the valet. I asked him not to touch the center screen as I was trying to bypass any charge limit limitation, and he said he understood.

i'm curios if it was necessary to use this by-pass hack. unfortunately once you drop your car off with the valet, its a pain to access so I had to set this b4 I dropped off the car and couldn't risk testing it.

the best part of the whole thing.. even though I was parked more than an hour -- I was charging for an hour and 15 minutes to get from 16 rated miles to 236 rated miles -- they only charged me $6 for a single hour of parking. I generally time my stay to leave in under an hour as to not pay the extra $6 for an extra hour of parking, I do sometimes get charged for it.. this time, I was not. YAY! I generally show up with way more than 16 rated miles of range so I rarely need more than an hr to get to 90%, but summer is nearly here and I have been doing a lot of driving.

What I don't understand is why its really there. It doesn't sound like its meant to be one of the new urban superchargers. No-one in their right mind would stop here if they were just traveling by.

The only thing I could think of is that the William Vale wanted it there for some prestige reason. Or it could be that a Tesla VIP stays there a lot or something.

I agree it doesn't make any sense. The William Vale already has HPWC destination chargers in the same location...

yes the on-site Destination Charger is for when you are staying at the hotel overnight. or if you live in the neighborhood. (all the newer buildings going up are apartment complexes. tho there are some older single and multi-family homes in the neighborhood as well) if you are staying overnight, you can use the HPWC. if you are there for a quick top up, the urban SCer is the way to go.

guys I charge here once a week in winter and 2-3 times a month in summer. this is my go to SCer as I don't have a way of charging at home or at work. i'm actually shocked I have not yet posted to this thread.I could have sworn I wrote a review of this SCer after I 1st charged here 2

I happen to live on the UWS so its a 25 minute drive (without traffic) to the William Vale and I find that they are the most accommodating SCer location in NYC. Also.. for $6 (used to by $5) it was the best SCing deal in NYC... the SCer closest to my home has a $40 for a single hour of parking and I am always shocked to see cars charging there according to my NAV screen. it must be people with monthly spots at this location. I cannot imagine anyone paying $40 just to charge there.

Does anyone know if this SCer is a "high usage station: Charging limit set to 80%?"

I wanted to get to 90% so I set nav to take me to Boston, MA in the hopes of bypassing this.. I had spotty internet service and the nav had not figured out the best route to take when I left the car with the valet. I asked him not to touch the center screen as I was trying to bypass any charge limit limitation, and he said he understood.

i'm curios if it was necessary to use this by-pass hack. unfortunately once you drop your car off with the valet, its a pain to access so I had to set this b4 I dropped off the car and couldn't risk testing it.

the best part of the whole thing.. even though I was parked more than an hour -- I was charging for an hour and 15 minutes to get from 16 rated miles to 236 rated miles -- they only charged me $6 for a single hour of parking. I generally time my stay to leave in under an hour as to not pay the extra $6 for an extra hour of parking, I do sometimes get charged for it.. this time, I was not. YAY! I generally show up with way more than 16 rated miles of range so I rarely need more than an hr to get to 90%, but summer is nearly here and I have been doing a lot of driving.

yes the on-site Destination Charger is for when you are staying at the hotel overnight. or if you live in the neighborhood. (all the newer buildings going up are apartment complexes. tho there are some older single and multi-family homes in the neighborhood as well) if you are staying overnight, you can use the HPWC. if you are there for a quick top up, the urban SCer is the way to go.
The workaround for the 80% thing is to change the charging limit *after* you plug in. So for a valet, you would have to do it from your phone. It will only work if your car is connected to the internet which may or may not be the case in a parking garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
Then this SCer didn't have the 80% restriction... i needn't have worried. I know we can send google maps destination data to the car via the app, but will the nav start caluculating a new route once the info is sent? will it be enough to override the 80% limitation?

happened to me at E 47th st SCer. I thought I would fight it bc I had lost connection to the car and was not sure the car was charging successfully (it was, but I didn't know that until I returned to the car an hour later)... it was my 1st offense so the idle fees were forgiven, so I let it go.. but I am mad that I used up my one get-out-of-jail-for-free card on a weird SCing experience when I couldn't tell what was happening.

In my opinion the SCers in valet lots should not be subject to idle fees b/c the drivers are not in control of exactly when the car can be moved.

I will say that I showed up at the William Vale with 5 or 6 rated miles and was told that all the SCer stalls were occupied. the valet promised to plug me in after a few minutes when one of the other cars was done SCing, and that's how it went down. But william vale is the friendliest SCer location in NYC, and I do not expect this level of service from other SC locations or fro the william vale on a general basis. I suspect that if I had shown up with 150 rated miles, they would not be so accommodating. but I wouldn't be visiting a SCer with 150 rated miles on hand simply to top up for my daily driving needs. that said, if I had a road trip coming up, I might ask that the other cars be moved once completed so that I could fill up my battery for my road trip.

I got an idle fee because the valet didn't unplug my car from this supercharger after it was done. Anyone else have this problem? How do I contact Tesla to remove it?

Hi, Im a monthly parking spot holder at this location since 03/2018. I just got charged $1k in idle fee, Tesla always waived it but something changed without warning. Tesla won't reimburse me. Have you tried calling?

we need to do something about this. valet garages should not be subject to idle fees.

I will say that a few months ago I showed up at this garage with 6 rated miles in the tank and was told that all 4 stalls were occupied. the valet mentioned that one or two the cars were nearly done charging and he would unplug them to plug me in.. true to his words, my car was plugged in about 10 minutes after I dropped off the car.

generally I am the 2nd of 4 stalls to pull in to charge at this location and I have not been charged idle fees that I know of. but it is something that I do worry about.

roughly 2 months ago I got an email from Tesla saying that I was charged idling fees at the Mott St SuperCharger. said fees were waved b/c it was my 1st offense so I didn't push it.. but I do feel I wasted my one get out of jail free card.

my car was having trouble connecting to both the mobile App and TeslaFi so I was not sure that charging was preceding normally. I got an error aortic charging when I 1st plugged in, then charging proceeded ok, then I got another error and a minute after that it was charging again.. this repeated 4 or 5 times before I lost contact with the car. so I stayed a few minutes longer to make up for the lost time.

my car was returned to me w\ 90% rated range... but I also got slammed with idle fees (that were waved) and I feel that this is unfair. particularly bc I may need the "get out of jail free" card in the future.

edited to add: regarding idle fees at valet garages.. I think asking valets -- who are already not to keen on having to deal w\ our charging needs -- to unplug and move cars so that idling fees are avoided is going to hurt us in the long run. these valets already don't want to deal w\ charging... making them do an extra chore is not helpful.

in the example where my car was moved it was b/c I was nearly empty and all the stalls were occupied. I always go out of my way to explain to these valets that I am not here for the parking spot, but for the chargers. but in the face of a fully occupied SCer, I don't think they would have plugged me in if my battery was nearly full.

Last edited:
I'm taking delivery of my Tesla next week and plan on getting monthly parking here but was wondering how charging works if I leave it for a week? Do I have to go over mid week and charge it, and then leave? How does that work with the valet? Maybe you can just call and have them plug it in?

the garage at N 12 street has level 2 chargers (208 Volts b/c its commercial power) as well as superchargers -- if you were leaving the ar for a week I would expect them to plug you in to the level 2 destination charger rather than the SCer.

I'm taking delivery of my Tesla next week and plan on getting monthly parking here but was wondering how charging works if I leave it for a week? Do I have to go over mid week and charge it, and then leave? How does that work with the valet? Maybe you can just call and have them plug it in?

So today was the first day and they were great there. My question is, how and when do I tip since it's valet service?

This is the most Tesla friendly garage in NYC. I do tip them, but only occasionally.

Cool, yea they seem to be unphased by Teslas / EVs. One thing I had a question about, is that I notice my door is unlocked from the phone application, is that normal? I don't know how secure the facility is, but again it's not like there is anything in the car to steal, but know it's unlocked makes me nervous.