Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brownsville, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went by the site today, still nada. The project’s status is “Review Complete”

TDLR TABS - Project Details

Review complete means they have reviewed the plans for disabled accessibility. Depending on the use of the facility, TDLR will have the owner hire a certified inspector to check for compliance with statutes. The owner then has to mail in a form from the inspector certifying that the project was completed according to the plans submitted, once the project construction is complete.

After TDLR gets the form, filled out by the inspector, and mailed in by the owner, you will see the status change to "Inspection Complete".

Last edited:
With SN9 crunched, that buys me a little time before my next road trip. I guess still no ground breaking on this super charger?
I wouldn't worry about chargers too much. I've been there twice myself in my X100D and had no trouble with range. There are public Superchargers nearby in McAllen and South Padre Island. I'm sure any Tesla has enough range to charge and drive around. I was at the old Schlitterbahn hotel last October (2019) and they installed the new portable Supercharger right there, just 50 feet from where I parked, I'd say 2 hours after we checked out of the hotel. Just to taunt me I suppose. :-(
We had used the dest charger next door at the Pearl.
Because of the presence of the Supercharger, I'll bet that's where Elon stays when he's in the area.
If you are out of juice at Boca Chica, you might be able to ask nicely and charge at one of the SpaceX chargers in one of the restricted areas. I wouldn't plan on that or count on it but it is a possible contingency.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS
With the public announcement of the opening of a service center and gallery in Olmita (northern Brownsville) in January, and with there being only two 72 kw Superchargers on the Island, and with more frequent launches, the Brownsville Supercharger should be coming along. The permit process is complete. McAllen is not that close - about an hour and a half from SPI.

Has anyone found a good viewing area in the Brownsville area for SpaceX launches? When the road closes it’s not possible to get near the launch site.

Hmmm - I have the same question. I want to take my granddaughter there for a launch. Most of the local TV coverage comes from the south end of SPI - right where the jetties start. Of course, that's kinda far away, but the best I can think of.

Has anyone found a good viewing area in the Brownsville area for SpaceX launches? When the road closes it’s not possible to get near the launch site.
Nothing from Brownsville along hwy 4 to the beach is worthwhile. The southern tip of South Padre Island has a lightly used pay for entry park and RV park that you could try. Or if you stay at the Pearl, you might have the best view of anybody with a room on the south side of the building. The Pearl is right next door from the Supercharger.
Screenshot_20201224-124539.jpg

The river to the south of Las Palomas is the Rio Grande, with Mexico to the south of that. There might be some options in Mexico but I haven't done that and I don't think that's in play for most of us here.

What about the hotel with room view overlooking the launch site that Tim Dodd@Every day Astronaut was staying and filming?
I can't find proper stats on the Pearl, but from pictures, it seems to have about 28 stories from a visual count. Every other hotel in the area seems to be under 10. The Schlitterbahn/Isla Blanca next door has 5 and I think is literally the closest to the launch pad. I don't know where Tim Todd is staying but I don't think he can do much better than that.

Edit: I found Every Day Astronaut/Tim Todd's video on YouTube and it seems to be from The Pearl. I did this search from my phone, so my research options are limited. I might dig deeper later from my computer where I can do more.

By the way, if the answer comes up as "Sapphire", it's the same place. One part of the property is hotel, one part condos. Two names for the same property.

Last edited: