Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo Grove, IL (Woodman's)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger construction is happening at Woodman's Food Market, 1550 Deerfield Parkway, Buffalo Grove, IL. It appears to be a 12 stall installation.

No information was found for permitting or a site plan. The chargers are being installed on the east side of the building facing Hwy 45 (N Milwaukee Ave)

SC.jpeg

I stopped by today and everything is quiet. No nice 480V hum. The electrical meter has a sticker on it stating it has passed it electrical inspection on Oct 22. But the fencing is missing it's gates/doors. I'm guessing the village won't allow power up until the large white Telsa power boxes are safely locked away behind a fence.

IMG_2283 (1).jpeg

SOC was ~17% (I thought anything under 20% SoC was good for 250 kW). And I drove about 14 miles (running quick errand) to warm the car up and then to the charger.

There are 12 stalls and there was no one else there. All of the power was mine! Mine! Mine! (add maniacal laugh here)

IMG_2310.jpg

SOC was ~17% (I thought anything under 20% SoC was good for 250 kW). And I drove about 14 miles (running quick errand) to warm the car up and then to the charger.
SOC was in the right area to get a decently high rate, though even lower would be better. But short drives in cool or cold temps are not anywhere near sufficient. It needs to be more like 45+ minutes of serious driving to ensure that battery temp is high enough. Remember that you're trying to warm up a lot of mass down there, it doesn't happen in a snap just because the car turned the battery heater on.

There are too many gotchas!

"What are gotchas?
They’re itty-bitty details that will bite you because you didn’t say the secret word or rub your belly 3 times while pressing the Enter key.
Gotcha!"
Also, it wasn't clear if you had your navigation set to take you to the supercharger. If you have a supercharger set as your destination, the car will try to warm the battery to the correct temperature as best it can but 15 minutes is probably not enough.

Also, remember that 250 kW is only available on V3 superchargers and V2 and earlier superchargers share power between two pedestals.

Finally, this all becomes very intuitive very quickly. I personally wouldn't consider these gotchas. A gotcha is something that would prevent you from charging. I've only had one instance of that happening with superchargers in over 100,000 miles of road trips and that was because the entire town lost power.

it wasn't clear if you had your navigation set to take you to the supercharger
Yes, but kinda / sort of. The Woodman's @ Buffalo Grove, IL (BG) is a new Supercharger. So when I started my trip the BG Supercharger did not appear on my Nav screen. So I picked a close by Supercharger and told it to go there (even though I was headed to BG). So my workaround didn't seem to work for me.

remember that 250 kW is only available on V3 superchargers and V2 and earlier superchargers share power between two pedestals.

I was the only person at the Supercharger.

Thanks for answering! I'm learning more about SuperCharging. I'll try again shortly.

PS - I just checked and the Supercharger and it now on the Tesla site. Yay!

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 11.48.10 AM copy 2.png