Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buford, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waltzed in on monday 11:15 AM. Short line. They knew nothing about status of Buford Chargers.
Be sure to ask them on the chance it might propagate up the chain of command.

Got my configure email yesterday. #6 in line on march 31st. Got in line at 4:30 AM.Not an owner etc.
Waiting for short range.

Reactions: nogajim
Some utility markings may have been remarked. IE some flags look new, but could have been lighting.

Also edge of lot closest to COSTCO. Asphalt is also marked "cut here". "cut here" is on exit as if you are going to costco.

I kept forgetting to post here ... I visited this location 10 days ago (before HG Wells' post above :) ) just to see it for myself. I found the utility marker flags that were mentioned, but didn't spot the "cut here" on the asphalt. Here is a Google Maps link to the spot. This is on the extreme western edge of the parking lot, across from Michaels.

I looked all over the rest of the lot and didn't spot anything else. Please let us know if you are talking about a different spot.

That's the right spot.

Its where the crosswalk would be (if there was one).
IE if you follow the flags you would see "cut here" on the asphalt where the power company is adding new lines (i think).

I believe (could be wrong) the power company is running new lines around the edge of this shopping center to feed the superchargers. Hopefully this is for the next version that charges at a faster rate.

Will take pic this week of spot marked cut here.

We went by this parking lot Tuesday (3/20) on the way to Decatur to pick up our MX. Did not see any flags, however, there was a landscaping crew putting out mulch/straw on all the islands and curbs. I went in 2 stores and asked about the Tesla Supercharger location, no one knew what I was talking about. Just blank stareso_O

I'm told that Tesla's efforts at this location (and two others in north Georgia) have stalled. No idea why, just that Tesla has stopped pressing. The local utility is ready to go. Maybe they are focusing on other markets for a while, like California and the northeast, where I see from supercharge.info that there's lots of construction activity.

I have heard through the grapevine that Tesla is pursuing a supercharging location in Buford, Georgia.

This is in Atlanta's northeast exurbs, so would help travelers that are just passing through to avoid having to come all the way into town (inside the Perimeter aka ITP) just to reach one of the two existing SC sites in metro Atlanta. Birmingham AL to Buford GA would be 181 miles, so you could skip the downtown/ITP route, although it might be faster anyway, depending on time of day. Similarly, if crossing between I-85 North and Chattanooga, you'd be able to skip driving all the way into Atlanta ITP, and maybe even not bother taking I-285.

On that I-85 corridor, it's about 150 miles from Atlanta to the Greenville SC superchargers, so this will help chop up that leg.

Here is the APPROXIMATE location, near the Mall of Georgia. Start looking for construction permits ...

Google Maps
Going by tonight On my way Home to check will update

If the comment above is accurate that the local municipality and utility companies are just waiting on Tesla to actually move forward perhaps we should find a valid escalation point to either call or email in to ask them to put more attention to the site. I'm sure that multiple emails would draw some attention. (Well hopefully.)

The Tesla site does not have a Supercharger pull down option for emails so not sure the best place to send the inquires to sadly.

I've been told that this is very close to finally moving ahead. A "permit has been filed". I don't know how this relates to the permit we've already seen, per activity in this thread back in October. I just now checked the Gwinnett County system (link in page 1 of this thread) and there's nothing in the month prior to May 4th.