Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA (Service Center, no longer on nav map)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to start a dedicated thread for this Supercharger reported by Lump here: Service Center Burbank Ca.

811 S San Fernando Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502
Google Maps
Thank you Mike, I appreciate you doing that. I edited the thread title to conform with the style of the other California SC threads and added "under construction" to clarify the status.
6 stalls does seem like a small number but no doubt more can and will be added in the future.

8-22-15 progress report

Charging equipment enclosure almost complete & parking sign poles installed, 2 contractors hustling at 4:30 pm on a Saturday. Next door to the north at 805 San Fernando there is a large construction project, turns out Ikea is relocated here & building a new 456,000-square-foot store Demolition crews clear the way for new IKEA - Burbank Leader

6 charging stalls, far left didn't make the picture.

IMG_0607.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see that these superchargers are almost ready. What's the haps with the service center? Is the building associated with these superchargers being renovated as was the Dublin CA service center? Photos please, of anything going on right next door thanks! The location may mark a great CPO location in southern California:cool:. Locals are our eyes and ears!!

New Ikea being built next door, looked like they just started pouring concrete.

No activity at the service center from the front that I can see, the supercharger contractors were working & moving equipment around so I stayed on the sidewalk

That's odd. Would've thought they would put the latest and greatest tech in the new stations.

I would think places with more extreme heat and cooling locations would get priorities for the liquid cooled Superchargers.

I understand that many expect it to allow Tesla to charge faster. However, if I remember correctly, these cables would also allow the SCs to operate in the more extreme ranges of temperature. And though Southern Californians may get cold at anything below 60F or complain that it's too hot at temps above 80F, the truth is there are a lot of places that are colder and hotter than here.

I would think places with more extreme heat and cooling locations would get priorities for the liquid cooled Superchargers.

I understand that many expect it to allow Tesla to charge faster. However, if I remember correctly, these cables would also allow the SCs to operate in the more extreme ranges of temperature. And though Southern Californians may get cold at anything below 60F or complain that it's too hot at temps above 80F, the truth is there are a lot of places that are colder and hotter than here.
While the above may well be the case, I'd think the main reason there aren't liquid-cooled cables here is that Tesla is still doing a long-term durability and operating test at Mountain View, which is close to HQ and thus easy to monitor and service. Once they get all the data they want and are convinced the newer system is ready for prime time, we'll start to see it being installed more widely. It appears to me that this installation is a case of being fitted 'for but not with', allowing easy upgrading in future.

Last edited:
While the above may well be the case, I'd think the main reason there aren't liquid-cooled cables here is that Tesla is still doing a long-term
durability and operating test at Mountain View, which is close to HQ and thus easy to monitor and service. Once they get all the data they want and are convinced the newer system is ready for prime time, we'll start to see it being installed more widely. It appears to me that this installation is a case of being fitted 'for but not with', allowing easy upgrading in future.

That makes sense as well... Besides, I'd rather that there be more SCs than less because we're waiting for liquid cooled cables.

Hmm. Burbank can get just as hot, if not hotter than Mountain View. Exhibit A will be tomorrow, as it's projected to get up to ~100 F.

While the above may well be the case, I'd think the main reason there aren't liquid-cooled cables here is that Tesla is still doing a long-term durability and operating test at Mountain View, which is close to HQ and thus easy to monitor and service. Once they get all the data they want and are convinced the newer system is ready for prime time, we'll start to see it being installed more widely. It appears to me that this installation is a case of being fitted 'for but not with', allowing easy upgrading in future.

This seems more likely, IMO.

The TMC Progress chart says "Construction apparently complete 8/19/2015" (Supercharger Progress - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum) but nobody in this discussion indicates that that is the case. Also, the Tesla site shows no indication either. Any projection on when this will open? I could definitely use it on my monthly trips to LA.

I updated the Supercharger Progress wiki to say it is just under construction. You are welcome to make changes at the wiki as well.