Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA - North Third Street (LIVE 14 Sep 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of times when the superchargers don't communicate properly and the number of stalls available is wrong. So I wouldn't read too much into that. Show some pics of 20 Teslas being plugged in and I'll believe it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the direction of travel is “home a few miles away where folks choose not to charge”.
Awesome response!
I wouldn't mind superchargers located in malls similar to this one, but prefer the ones that allow 1-hour-free parking, then some fee after. At least that way, there would be no drop-offs and locals would vacate promptly. Or, not even 1-hour-free. Century City/Westfield as $1 for the first hour and $3 for the next (without validation). I would have ZERO issue paying $1 for access to a supercharger, and locals would despise it, especially if it skyrocketed to $4 for over an hour, when it would cost $5 at home.

Awesome response!
I wouldn't mind superchargers located in malls similar to this one, but prefer the ones that allow 1-hour-free parking, then some fee after. At least that way, there would be no drop-offs and locals would vacate promptly. Or, not even 1-hour-free. Century City/Westfield as $1 for the first hour and $3 for the next (without validation). I would have ZERO issue paying $1 for access to a supercharger, and locals would despise it, especially if it skyrocketed to $4 for over an hour, when it would cost $5 at home.

Penalizing non-garaged locals is unacceptable - in no small measure because Tesla has welcomed them at SCs since day one (despite the protestations of the exclusionist minority).

You’ll just have to try harder to persecute the few garages locals who don’t charge at home.

And what of livery? No hate for them?

Given the density associated with Tesla’s latest forecast (regardless of whether we agree upon the definition of “soon”), it seems as if the exclusionists are going to get their wish in the end. After all, just fast forward 3 years hence. There will be more Model 3s on the road than S/X.

And every single one of those Model 3s will pay $0.20/kW at the SCs.

No parking fees necessary.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Not about persecuting. I know urban Supercharging is accepted, and getting dedicated Superchargers. See Supercharger - Burbank Mall (LIVE 9-14-2017) for my thoughts on the current situation. The Burbank situation before this 20-stall SC cramped my style, and caused my trip back with my wife this summer to get extended by over an hour.

Folks that can charge at home (I am not one of them) and that choose not to and leverage free Supercharging do create more traffic. And Tesla is working hard offset that, so fine by me. But that pressure on Superchargers in the Bay Area and L.A. area is not close to getting resolved. More needed.

Penalizing non-garaged locals is unacceptable - in no small measure because Tesla has welcomed them at SCs since day one (despite the protestations of the exclusionist minority).

No parking fees necessary.
I am far from being an exclusionist. Though you do have a valid point on those who must charge outside of their homes due to lack of access. I was hyper-focused on the abusers, not the users. In that case, the "first-hour-free" philosophy, offered by many malls in this region, would work perfectly, would it not? 60 minutes of charging should be plenty for all local , and even travel, needs. Rarely would someone need more, such as arriving on empty and needing to charge to 100% to reach their next destination (not required from Burbank). Anybody who parks their car longer can pay. Of course, if Tesla were to really take their idle fees seriously, which to date I have no evidence that they do, then this discussion would be moot.

I was actually there at 4pm and it was only half full for the 15 mins I was charging.
Excellent. Perhaps as mentioned above, this was just a delay in data. Tesla's algorithm could possibly allows a buffer when someone departs in case of impending arrivals about to plug in.

yesterday right before noon there was only 1 stall avail(i noticed an OR and 2 AZ plates). It was pretty much full and that's because 18b or whatever has a bad handle and won't go into the car.

But having 20 (19 actually) spots gives to a fast turnover. There were plenty of cars going in & out.

Build it and they will come!
There was almost always a long line at the Burbank Service Center. Though, never long enough to explain how this enormous other location filled so fast. It makes me wonder how many people have avoiding the original Burbank location because of the line, but are now taking advantage of it. Makes sense actually.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I live close to these chargers. I have not used the new one yet but out of curiosity I often check on my car map how busy it is. I have not yet checked and seen much more than half of the 20 chargers in use. Usually more than half are available and it's still 0, 1 or 2 most of the time at the Service Center.

I'm checking this thread for the first time since it opened and I'm surprised to see complaints about either crowding or slow charging.

Aren't the idle fees being imposed for people who stay too long?

Any of you guys notice that the SC on the map is now gone? I was going to drive by on the way home but didn't get a chance to, will tomorrow and see what's up.... maybe to stop by the Habbit but still..kinda sucks that they really would take it down for good to the public.

I know the mall parking lot on top they use for temp storage gets pretty full so Burbank must really be cranking with inventory cars!

Any of you guys notice that the SC on the map is now gone? I was going to drive by on the way home but didn't get a chance to, will tomorrow and see what's up.... maybe to stop by the Habbit but still..kinda sucks that they really would take it down for good to the public.

I know the mall parking lot on top they use for temp storage gets pretty full so Burbank must really be cranking with inventory cars!

Saw the old Burbank SC gone from the map as well so I drove by to see any possible changes but it looks the same still. All 6 stalls were lit with 3 cars plugged in.

The SC is probably going through a reverse process of where the map change happens at a different time than what the stalls actually do. The Tesla staff at that location must be getting their wish granted by getting the place all to themselves.

Now the true test comes for the newer 20 stall Burbank SC if it can satisfy the demand... for now...

Burbank is so crowded because there are no other superchargers in any normal part of Los Angeles. West side is terrible to go to unless you’re there already. Need Glendale and downtown Los Angeles to get online and that would really balance out congestion
The Burbank Mall location off of Third street always has a few open stalls whenever I or my wife go. FYI, they're also working through the red tape to finally open up a charging location upstairs in the the Glendale galleria parking structure.

Reactions: YNOT3