Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA (Service Center, no longer on nav map)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any case, Burbank is a known nightmare. Tejon Ranch is usually fine, and probably still better than Burbank even while undergoing maintenance.

And, since Buttonwillow is 40 miles up the road from Tejon, easier to get to going northbound, and is rarely at half capacity let alone full capacity, its often faster total trip time to charge enough farther south so you can skip Tejon. At worst you're gambling a few minutes extra against the odds that Tejon is near full capacity (which is certainly more often than Buttonwillow).

I'm very close to giving up on this place. Since the public charger near work was full, I decided to head to Burbank on the way back home. Got there around noon with less than 40 miles of range to spare. One charger still down and a car waiting in front of me. 10 minutes later there's 3 more cars behind me. I decided to bite the bullet and head home, with 3 other cars (including the one ahead of me) leaving the line. Got home with 13 miles left...

I stopped in Burbank enroute from NoCal to San Diego. First time there. Pulled in and was #7 in line to charge with only 5 stalls working. Waited over an hour just to start charging. Charged at reduced rate for over an hour (would have taken over two hours to charge to 90%). Had enough to get home. I'll avoid this place at all costs from now on. Worst SC I've ever stopped at.

Stopped by Sunday at 5:00 pm just to take a picture, 4 cars waiting & 1 stall offline.
IMG_1134.jpg

Anyone speak with people to ask if they are "topping off", are locals using this place daily, are long distance traveling, etc?

I'm wondering if all those people needed that charge.

Taking over 2.5 hours to charge your car goes against Teslas "without compromise" slogan.

Anyone speak with people to ask if they are "topping off", are locals using this place daily, are long distance traveling, etc?

I'm wondering if all those people needed that charge.

Taking over 2.5 hours to charge your car goes against Teslas "without compromise" slogan.

I was here last week and experienced a similar line(and slow charge rate). I felt like there were quite a few(spoke to two) amount of locals using this location. I just did the bare minimum to make it to Tejon. Tesla really needs to get some up in the San Gabriel Valley to avoid the need to stop at Burbank when traveling Northbound.

I was here last week and experienced a similar line(and slow charge rate). I felt like there were quite a few(spoke to two) amount of locals using this location. I just did the bare minimum to make it to Tejon. Tesla really needs to get some up in the San Gabriel Valley to avoid the need to stop at Burbank when traveling Northbound.
Sylmar. Right by the 210/5 interchange. Maybe at the Denny's. Ideal location that would serve several different commutes

Reactions: callmesam
O.K. ....so you can skip Burbank and go home arriving with 1 mile left. So why go to Burbank in the first place? The reason I write this is because non of us should be apprehensive about going home, where we know we can charge, as long as we have a mile left in our battery.
Even when traveling, arriving with just a mile or two remaining is fine. I do it routinely. You get a very fast 'supercharge' ...at least to 160 or so and at home, you wake up with a full battery or whatever your 'set' limit is so... no worries. I'm thinking way too many of us are supercharging for no good reason at all! my 2c.

O.K. ....so you can skip Burbank and go home arriving with 1 mile left. So why go to Burbank in the first place? The reason I write this is because non of us should be apprehensive about going home, where we know we can charge, as long as we have a mile left in our battery.
Even when traveling, arriving with just a mile or two remaining is fine. I do it routinely. You get a very fast 'supercharge' ...at least to 160 or so and at home, you wake up with a full battery or whatever your 'set' limit is so... no worries. I'm thinking way too many of us are supercharging for no good reason at all! my 2c.
What if your NAV says you can get to Tejon with 2 % left? Considering the climbing, potential traffic, heat, do you chance it?

That's the decision I had at Burbank last week, which forced me to wait 1 hour just to add a few more percentage points. Whether you are going to Tejon or home, it's the same decision. Depending on how far away you are, 1 mile may be too risky.

Plus when reading the original post it sounds like he meant, he only had enough to get home after charging for an hour. He stated home was San Diego so 1 hour at a reduced rate sounds about right....

What if your NAV says you can get to Tejon with 2 % left? Considering the climbing, potential traffic, heat, do you chance it?
Agreed, I would never take that risk. That is cutting it way too close since the in-car nav does not factor in headwinds, air temp, and obviously cannot predict accidents that might require you to take a detour.

Reactions: TexasEV
I'm very close to giving up on this place. Since the public charger near work was full, I decided to head to Burbank on the way back home. Got there around noon with less than 40 miles of range to spare. One charger still down and a car waiting in front of me. 10 minutes later there's 3 more cars behind me. I decided to bite the bullet and head home, with 3 other cars (including the one ahead of me) leaving the line. Got home with 13 miles left...

I've gotten home with 13 miles. I got home once with zero miles. My neighbor got home with a negative 12 miles. But in our case, there was no drama, because we have 220v outlets.

Although I realize there are some cases where some people aren't able to install an outlet somewhere on their property, it was an amazing insight to see how often those cases happen in Burbank.

You can't predict that with LA traffic with any certainty. You get caught in ONE traffic jam cause of a wreck and next thing you know YOU'RE on the evening news as the tool who ran his Tesla out of juice on the 405. No thanks. How much do you pad for SoCal traffic? Good question.

I've done it before. Started out with a 10% buffer which quickly shrank. Ended up pulling in with 2% on the UI showing but CAN bus showed more like 5%. Definitely doable if you keep a close eye on the trip planner. If you have ever driven a LEAF this seems like second nature. Rarely do you arrive at a destination showing more than 10%.

I agree with all sentiments here, but I think the real point of this discussion isn't charging at home vs supercharging locally, I think it's that Burbank is pretty aweful because it has reduced charge rates and only 5/6 working stalls. That's why lines are long, I'm sure locals do supercharge, but if charge rates were normal many more cars could quickly move through there. I for one know that even if I am supercharging locally, if I'm getting a good charge rate I move my car quickly as I empathize with those in line. When I was at burbank I needed enough to get to Tejon and that took me nearly 40 minutes because of hte 30kw charge rate, and the line grew to 5 cars. Not much I could do to help the situation ....

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
I plan to finish a leg on a trip with 25 miles rated range. Actual arrivals have varied from 12 to 47 miles rated range.

I live 3 miles from the Burbank charger, have used it after getting home from a trip at low SOC, usually after 10PM. Typically there are 2-4 stalls in use.

I'm not going near the place again until I hear this charge rate bug is fixed.

I plan to finish a leg on a trip with 25 miles rated range. Actual arrivals have varied from 12 to 47 miles rated range.

I live 3 miles from the Burbank charger, have used it after getting home from a trip at low SOC, usually after 10PM. Typically there are 2-4 stalls in use.

I'm not going near the place again until I hear this charge rate bug is fixed.
I can see it if you get home from a long trip in the early afternoon and need a quick charge before going out again, but if you get home after 10PM why don't you just plug in at home overnight? You'll have a full or near full charge by morning.

Reactions: MikeC
You can't predict that with LA traffic with any certainty. You get caught in ONE traffic jam cause of a wreck and next thing you know YOU'RE on the evening news as the tool who ran his Tesla out of juice on the 405. No thanks. How much do you pad for SoCal traffic? Good question.

No. I don't buy that. An electric does not run out of juice when stopped, unlike our gas car driving friends' cars.

And up thread, concern about driving over to Tejon, maybe arriving with 2%. If we remember, our trip computer knows about elevations and calculates them into our estimate. Also, if we remember, one can make it to the destination if one can keep from creeping the speed up.

If a person could set their cruise to 65 instead of 70, or hey, even 60 instead of 65, the loss of time would be maybe half an hour instead of several hours. People don't think. Waiting is not our only option.