Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA - North Third Street (LIVE 14 Sep 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, could have used that location yesterday, as my hotel in L.A. did not offer charging.
Had to stop in Burbank on our way out of the city, and wait like 45 minutes to get a charge (15 minutes charging, just enough to get to Tejon).
L.A. really needs massive expansions if local Supercharging is to become accepted and supported.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Friday update:
Chargers wrapped in plastic and workers were preparing to paint parking markings:
IMG_20170804_183856.jpg
Also they closed entrance from 3rd street, because they mounting what looks like power feed from transformer below:
IMG_20170804_184018.jpg
IMG_20170804_184105.jpg
IMG_20170804_184151.jpg

Actually I'm not sure if it is transformer (kinda small for ~1500kVA transformer) or just a switchgear.
Curious, why do you estimate ~1500kVA ? Seems like it would be enough for about 12 stalls at max draw. I'd expect a 20 stall SC transformer to be ~2.4 MW (20 x 120kW max). Or is this where sharing limitation comes in (you share with your neighbor and both get half max) ? I thought Tesla wasn't doing that anymore.

Curious, why do you estimate ~1500kVA ? Seems like it would be enough for about 12 stalls at max draw. I'd expect a 20 stall SC transformer to be ~2.4 MW (20 x 120kW max). Or is this where sharing limitation comes in (you share with your neighbor and both get half max) ? I thought Tesla wasn't doing that anymore.
Why do you think that? Two pedestals share one supercharger. But it's not that you each get half max. The first car gets what its battery can draw and the second car gets the rest. As the first battery is tapering the second gets more. That's how it's supposed to work in theory anyway.

• Informative
Why do you think that? Two pedestals share one supercharger. But it's not that you each get half max. The first car gets what its battery can draw and the second car gets the rest. As the first battery is tapering the second gets more. That's how it's supposed to work in theory anyway.
That's how early chargers worked 4+ years ago. It was most evident in the first Barstow SC with 4 stalls, 2 per charger, where it was exactly as you described. And it would take 1.5 hrs to get an 80% charge if you weren't first to get there. Tesla had addressed that particular one, and I have not seen this pattern with other SCs over the past couple years. Some/most SC stations have a sharing limit but not as you described, meaning both cars get similar but reduced power (San Diego SC is the perfect example of this).
But yeah, if it's 1 charger per 2 stalls then your 1.5MW figure makes sense. I somehow thought Tesla did 1 charger per stall now, because I'm able to charge at full rate on some SCs like Hawthorne, even when sharing.

• Informative
It's not very hard to figure out. Look at the previous pics and you'll see only 10 SpC charging cabinets (8 on the right side, 2 on the left). I don't know of anyplace that they have done a 1 to 1 ratio setup because the cost involved would be so much higher.

Plus the switching hardware/controller comes into play. Sure there are the one off's where a unit is by itself but to do a whole new site would cost a tremendous amount.

Culver City and other large installs are doing just fine with the increased capacity. I think Burbank will be singing along after this gets up and going!!!

Took my car in for service at Burbank and was talking to a tech there. He said they're going to disconnect the 6 at the service center when the 20 down the street go live. It does get congested there as a delivery center, service center, store and supercharger but wondering if this is completely necessary... I'd imagine if both were full people would gravitate to the 20 stall location to wait in line (providing the map shows the current usage which has been spotty lately).

Took my car in for service at Burbank and was talking to a tech there. He said they're going to disconnect the 6 at the service center when the 20 down the street go live. It does get congested there as a delivery center, service center, store and supercharger but wondering if this is completely necessary... I'd imagine if both were full people would gravitate to the 20 stall location to wait in line (providing the map shows the current usage which has been spotty lately).
My guess is yes, it is necessary for them. I am confident that people will still use (abuse) this charger. They are probably tired of the people storing their cars and fighting. Actually, my guess is they will not dismantle the chargers, but may likely keep them for their exclusive use. I would see no benefit of dismantling them unless they can recycle parts elsewhere. Given the unreliability of this location, I highly doubt that.

• Informative

They should cage up the 6 SC at the service center to be used by service center. Start delivering fully charged vehicle after service for once...