TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Burbank Mall (LIVE 9-14-2017)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by BigTonyTones, Jun 25, 2017.

1. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

If you look at the tesla supercharger map, they seem to have another one in the works for burbank

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Or maybe the Tesla Supercharger map shows a new icon for expanded SCs. No one really knows. I do know that those maps are sometimes right and often wrong.

• Like x 1
  3. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Supporting Member

There is no room for expansion at the current location. There have been rumors swirling around that Tesla will open a larger SC in a mall somewhere nearby, and the current SC will be closed.

• Like x 1
  4. 4SUPER9

OK, somebody needs to drive over to that mall STAT and do a serious inspection, looking for any markings, construction work, or any sign of an impending installation.

To be honest, I don't understand my obsession with local superchargers. I would never see a need for me to use one in Burbank. I guess I just love to see the world change before us. What a wonderful time we live in.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. WalterB

WalterB Member

was picking up my car from service in Burbank and decided to check Burbank mall. pulled up into East Garage and on top floor found guy working on pedestals for chargers. Confirmed with him that that is indeed going to be supercharger. 20 stalls. 16 stalls along this wall and 4 more on far side. IMG_20170629_105946.jpg

location is east corner of garage:
    Screen Shot.png

• Like x 12
    • Informative x 10
    • Love x 3
  6. 4SUPER9

@BlueShift

Awesome news!!!!
    This is actually quite far along. Did you by any chance take a look underneath to see where all the utilities are located?

7. WalterB

WalterB Member

Seems like they left some space in the corner for the superchargers themselves. Right underneath that corner is entrance from 3rd street.

8. tezzla

tezzla Member

Another picture:

upload_2017-6-29_14-30-2.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

hope they build a canopy a la barstow.

temecula's mall charger is great as it is coved on the 3rd floor. roof charging is gona be a toasty process.

• Like x 1
  10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

If they are pouring concrete for the pedestals, they probably already have the conduit run as well. Next phase would be switching cabinet installation and supercharger cabinet installation, then pedestal installs, then pulling wiring. Presumably this would require its own transformer, so there is some utility work to do.

11. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Super exciting! Supercharging at Burbank service center was the only time I've ever had to wait in line for charging. This will be a welcome change.

• Like x 1
  12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Any bets on finding 20 locals here simultaneously?

Anyways, kudos to tesla

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Tyl

Tyl Member

good news indeed! Look underneath for conduit runs...similar to San Mateo Ca electrical plumbing. I agree having the solar canopy over all stalls would be icing on the cake.

14. Lump

Lump Active Member

Next time someone talks to the contractors ask if the Northridge Mall is next or where else did they bid in SoCal.

• Like x 1
  15. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Heard a rumor that Tesla is in negotiations to put SC stations in the Americana Mall parking structure, Glendale Ca.

• Informative x 1
  16. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

This will be a huge mistake just like Temecula. What is it with Tesla and top flr mall parking structures?

• Funny x 1
  17. Tam

Tam Active Member

Good signal reception :)

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. WalterB

WalterB Member

Looks like conduits will be behind pedestals not underneath them.

With IKEA relocated and SC located in furthest corner of garage hopefully it won't be very crowded. Also people usually don't like to go to top floor, so less ICEing.

I actually checked Americana parking couple weeks ago. There were no signs of constructions. Americana is paid parking (1h free, 2h with validation), but that's a topic for another thread...

• Like x 2
  19. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

Ummmm....haven't you heard Elon recently say that he wants to convert as many Superchargers as possible to solar...lots of sun on the top floor of a garage...not so much sun in the lower floors. Besides, I'm sure they can add canopies above the charging stalls (and the canopies can house the solar panels).

-Andrew

20. callmesam

callmesam Member

This is will be the largest Supercharger in California as well as the United States.

#DriveFree

• Informative x 1