Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA - North Third Street (LIVE 14 Sep 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard a rumor that Tesla is in negotiations to put SC stations in the Americana Mall parking structure, Glendale Ca.
Reekdog, I think you are right about Tesla putting SC stations in the Americana Mall parking structure. I was there a couple of weeks ago for a Tesla "Social" for owners and it looks like they would have a lot of room on the roof for charging stations. Also, it would fit into Elon's plans to have most SC stations hooked up to soar panels for power. Here is a photo of our Tesla owners get together in Glendale a few weeks back.

Attachments

• tesla1.png
    tesla1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 168
Reekdog, I think you are right about Tesla putting SC stations in the Americana Mall parking structure. I was there a couple of weeks ago for a Tesla "Social" for owners and it looks like they would have a lot of room on the roof for charging stations. Also, it would fit into Elon's plans to have most SC stations hooked up to soar panels for power. Here is a photo of our Tesla owners get together in Glendale a few weeks back.

You're right, that's where they're supposed to go. Btw, I was there for the "Drive-in Movie Night". parked one row behind you on the far right...:)

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Ummmm....haven't you heard Elon recently say that he wants to convert as many Superchargers as possible to solar...lots of sun on the top floor of a garage...not so much sun in the lower floors. Besides, I'm sure they can add canopies above the charging stalls (and the canopies can house the solar panels).

-Andrew
Covering the charging area with solar isn't going to have much effect. Maybe covering 20 stalls will generate enough power per day to charge ~5 cars, on a sunny day. Now if they got permission to cover the whole parking structure roof....

But I think what he meant is they would build a big solar farm in the desert and sell the power back to the power co's to offset the power used by SC's.

Think putting Superchargers on the upper floors of shopping centers is a good idea.

The first floors seem to fill up the quickest, and putting chargers there would cause ill will with the regular shoppers who want the closest spots as possible.

It will also not be as popular with local freeloaders who just want a convenient spot to grab some free juice. They will not be happy to need to drive up 3 or more floors to just grab some easy electrons. Will be easier for them to just charge at home. For those with no personal charging options, they can get a weekly top off with little inconvenience.

For travelers it will be fantastic. They can plug in for 1/2 hour or so, wander around the stores and perhaps get something to eat while they get enough to travel to their next stop. WiFi usually available, along with clean restrooms instead of a porta potty.

The malls usually have 24hr roving security, so travelers can feel safe in a strange town. Chargers will be more protected from vandalism than in a out of town remote location.

A security guard in Temecula Ca. noticed I was moving from one stall to another. Asked why, and when I told him it was charging slower than expected, he said he would make a report to Tesla for us.

The shops will be cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Lots of food choices, or just tilt back your seat for a power nap, as your smart phone will ring you when you have gotten enough charge.

For some, it might not be optimum, but for the goals of providing fast chargers for travelers, it might be a pretty good idea.

Awesome news. Burbank has been the most overcrowded charger in socal for awhile. The service center has recently been using cones to block off at least one of the 6 spots for their own use, and I suspect cars being serviced are often taking up 1-3 of the 6 slots. With 5-6 cars charging, the rate can drop as low as 25kW which makes everyone take longer. What should have been a 23.5 minute charge according to the calc took 42 minutes when I had to stop there a couple weeks ago. It's a charger I avoid if at all possible.

• Informative
Americana has 1 hour free parking, so that would be perfect.

-smak-

Reactions: Reekdog
The mall itself looks like it closes at 9:00pm daily. I'm assuming that the garage with the Superchargers will be open 24/7? Anything else but the East parking garage open after 9pm? The malls web page says that they are doing quite a bit of renovation...

RT

IMO - this supercharger, and others in malls, will probably not be aimed at travelers. Remember the Model 3? Tesla needs superchargers just for people who live in apartments. This Burbank area has a gigantic population of new apartments built over retail. This is also true near the Americana area in next-door Glendale (The Americana). Now that Tesla is billing electricity to Model 3 owners, this becomes a higher priority to get EV vehicles into crowded cities. I also think this will further encourage some other manufacturer to think about working with Tesla to use their superchargers - then the game is truly over.

Reactions: callmesam
IMO - this supercharger, and others in malls, will probably not be aimed at travelers.

I don't think Tesla's goal will ever be to provide superchargers for daily use. They've stated they're against daily use and sent daily users letters to discourage the behavior. Spending 20+ minutes at a SC most days will grow frustrating to most consumers and few will be willing to do that in the long term. After 400kWh free per year, model 3 owners will be paying 20c per kWh at California SCs vs 15c or lower to charge at home. I'm nearly certain Tesla is losing money at 20c per kWh because utilities charge enormously higher rates for high power users during peak times of the day when the chargers will get the most use. Tesla will do all they can to encourage apartment managers to install chargers on site and cities to install street or light pole charging.

I live in Inland Empire and the Burbank charger has been necessary to stop at for a number of trips. It's definitely useful to travelers. However, with its current overcrowding, I avoid it if at all possible.

I don't think Tesla's goal will ever be to provide superchargers for daily use. They've stated they're against daily use and sent daily users letters to discourage the behavior.
You're about two years behind the times. Tesla is building superchargers in cities specifically for people who can't charge at home. There's a big difference between can't charge at home and won't charge at home.

Reactions: MikeC
Right, but what choice do people in apartment buildings have ? Appt building managers in LA weren't even willing to discuss it.
I think that is a bigger topic than Tesla. It's a cultural change that Appt manger needs to understand EV is here to stay and only to become more popular. The demand will increase. If you own a Tesla or a Chevy, the issue is the same.