Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA - North Third Street (LIVE 14 Sep 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check picture in post #52, you can see pipe coming from back of the pedestal base.
Wow. You are right. I haven't seen this before in any other SC construction project. All the other projects I followed had the conduit laid out well before the stalls were finished. Actually, this is an interesting approach and I wonder if this tells of things to come. I am curious as to why the stall portion of these sites are not fabricated well beforehand, maybe even more so than this site.

On another note, this thread title is still listed as "appears to be 20 stalls". Are we not confirmed on the number of stalls yet?

Wow. You are right. I haven't seen this before in any other SC construction project. All the other projects I followed had the conduit laid out well before the stalls were finished. Actually, this is an interesting approach and I wonder if this tells of things to come. I am curious as to why the stall portion of these sites are not fabricated well beforehand, maybe even more so than this site.
You can't violate the structural integrity of a parking garage by coring a bunch of 4" holes in the floor. Just think about the swiss cheese look of the concrete under the Supercharger cabinets. You just can't do that to a reinforced concrete structure. When the concrete is on dirt and the concrete is only holding up the cabinets themselves, it works well.
Others have cited similar sites that are in parking garages. I believe Las Vegas #1 is one of those that has a lot of exposed metal conduit.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
...and conduits have arrived
IMG_20170717_182333.jpg IMG_20170717_182305.jpg

Notably they are different - square and more lightweight. That will definitely help fitting more cables behind stalls.

Covering the charging area with solar isn't going to have much effect. Maybe covering 20 stalls will generate enough power per day to charge ~5 cars, on a sunny day. Now if they got permission to cover the whole parking structure roof....

But I think what he meant is they would build a big solar farm in the desert and sell the power back to the power co's to offset the power used by SC's.

I think an over sized canopy would be great advertising, they could get it to say Tesla from above and below. I'm sure locals would appreciate the shade on the non charging spots.

I wouldn't rule it out in high pedestrian traffic locations, if there are enough eyes around that parking structure it's practically a cheap billboard.

Putting it across the street from a power substation is smart. I wonder how lucky they were to be able to find an available parking structure/lot so close to a substation?

I suspect they'll have to trench a new wire across the street which might add an unknown amount of time to the project. Or maybe they can run it on power poles? I wonder what size wire they need... Seems like it would have to be huge unless they run high voltage and drop voltage near the chargers, which presumably they could do from the substation.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Not likely they'll get 277/480 directly from that substation. Usually a new surface mount transformer is installed and connected to whatever local medium voltage distribution is available. That medium voltage could be derived from the substation, if necessary, running modest primary cables in conduit that is, perhaps, 4" in diameter. Of course, extensive trench work in streets = $$$.