Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA - North Third Street (LIVE 14 Sep 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progress update:
They finished wall on top of the entrance (probably to hide charger cabinets from view):
IMG_20170905_191453.jpg

Also at the time of picture being taken, workers were installing metal conduits instead of previous half-installed power feed (check post #85 to compare with previous state)
IMG_20170905_191651.jpg

Thanks for the update!
Interesting though. It looks like they had some serious fabricated components installed that they had to entirely abandon/remove, to be replaced with these more standard metal conduits. That was a full month ago that the original fittings were installed. I wonder why this happened? Code requirement?

Reactions: Reekdog
Thanks for the update!
Interesting though. It looks like they had some serious fabricated components installed that they had to entirely abandon/remove, to be replaced with these more standard metal conduits. That was a full month ago that the original fittings were installed. I wonder why this happened? Code requirement?
My speculation: Someone probably assumed they could bundle all the supply cables together in that raceway. It's a nice compact solution. Their work got checked and it was determined that they needed each phase (3P+N+G?) to be isolated in separate conduits.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and WalterB
The question is not unreasonable, so let's give him a break please.
Instead, perhaps someone here can provide an update on the current constitution status?
The status of the Constitution is...off topic for this thread. ;)

The question of when a Supercharger will become operational is asked frequently on TMC. It is "unreasonable" in the sense that Tesla has no control over when the local power utility will do what it needs to do before the Supercharger can be made operational. And that is why Tesla never announces a date for a Supercharger to become operational because Tesla doesn't know that date with a high degreee of certainty.

In addition, a Supercharger can appear to be completed but there may be things that Tesla still has to do to make it operational. And no one on TMC is likely to have specific knowledge of what those things might be. In my four years on TMC I have never seen a post saying "New Supercharger location X is going to be operational on date xx/xx/xx" and it turned out to be the correct date.

So in my opinion it is worth pointing out that the answer to the question "Will this Supercharger be operational on a specific date?" Is "We don't know" so that the person asking the question will realize that they need to plan their upcoming trip on the assumption that the Supercharger in question will not be available to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
The status of the Constitution is...off topic for this thread. ;)
Ooops! Darn you autocorrect!

So in my opinion it is worth pointing out that the answer to the question "Will this Supercharger be operational on a specific date?" Is "We don't know" so that the person asking the question will realize that they need to plan their upcoming trip on the assumption that the Supercharger in question will not be available to them.
Agreed. Your response to the question was reasonable. It was the following post from someone else that I found a bit snarky. Also, the question is not completely unreasonable, as sometimes people have heard some news that could prove informative. In fact, I recall several times over the years where a construction crew gave a very specific and accurate go-live date (NEVER once Tesla though). In this case, we have an update that the conduits are not yet even completed, given an apparent set-back, let alone wiring to the transformer. In this case, my opinion is that 9/23 is highly unlikely. Though, we have all been extremely surprised in the past!

Reactions: Reekdog
Thanks for all the updates. I'll continue to hope for it to open soon but I've had my S85 for 4+ years and know how to cope. I should have said I would like it for the 23rd. I don't REQUIRE it. Will be going back north on Oct 4. Maybe it will be open by then.

Maybe they'll figure out a way to cover the super duper conduits up with something more visually pleasing? :)
If they want to, they could probably build a small casing and stucco and paint it to make it blend in. It would become a maintenance issue every decade or so as dirt, rot, and bugs settle into the encasement; cracks would expose openings for those things to enter. Perhaps just an L shape open at the bottom would do, or even just with screens, but both those ideas would attract rodents and wasps.

It's amazing how hard it is to make conduit look visually pleasing as anything but conduit. We'll get used to seeing it like we used to be used to seeing gas stations and people driving horses.

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
If they want to, they could probably build a small casing and stucco and paint it to make it blend in. It would become a maintenance issue every decade or so as dirt, rot, and bugs settle into the encasement; cracks would expose openings for those things to enter. Perhaps just an L shape open at the bottom would do, or even just with screens, but both those ideas would attract rodents and wasps.

It's amazing how hard it is to make conduit look visually pleasing as anything but conduit. We'll get used to seeing it like we used to be used to seeing gas stations and people driving horses.
I have conduit running along the side of my home exactly like this: horizontally and right across the middle of a large wall. In my case, it is piping for solar water heating. We encased it within metal sheeting and painted it to match the stucco. It now looks like molding that is intended to be there. In fact, due to some major screw ups by a contractor, the pipes are now abandoned :mad:, but the "molding" looks really good and is considered a feature as far as we are concerned.