Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burley, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If everything else is done, any idea on how long the electrical work takes? I’m assuming it’s a crew of a few people so like 2 days? Or am I being way too optimistic?
I think that depends a little on what someone means by "the electrical work". I think that pretty much all of the job would be considered the electrical work. So that includes getting the trenches dug, the conduit laid in, gravel fill, dirt fill, and even the cement pour of the slabs for the Supercharger equipment boxes and the pedestal bases. So all that stuff usually takes a couple weeks, not days.

Yeah I'm kicking myself for not paying attention closely. Cuz I heard Burley in there and then zoned out on the rest of his list.

I. I just can't. I mean.

O.
M.
G.
:-O

Anyway.

Heyburn, ID

Along Primary Interstates: I-84W
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-30
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-84W

To: Tremonton, UT - 109.6 miles
Diversion: 1.1 miles
To: I-80 in Echo, UT - 187.9 miles

To: Pocatello, ID (I-84,I-86,I-15) - 78.4 miles

Density on I-84. Splits a 147 mile gap between Twin Falls, ID and Tremonton, UT.
It also splits the 115.7 miles between Twin Falls, ID and Pocatello, ID.
The improved density should improve travel, especially allowing people to avoid the relatively large (though fast) diversion at Twin Falls, ID.

Last edited:
I think that depends a little on what someone means by "the electrical work". I think that pretty much all of the job would be considered the electrical work. So that includes getting the trenches dug, the conduit laid in, gravel fill, dirt fill, and even the cement pour of the slabs for the Supercharger equipment boxes and the pedestal bases. So all that stuff usually takes a couple weeks, not days.
Is suppose that’s true. I always viewed it as three parts, the groundwork such as trenching and such, and then the electrical like running the conduit, and then the finishing up/cleanup. But honestly this isn’t something I know much about (obviously). According to the other post though it looks like they are planning to finish up 6 of these in the next 6 days, so I guess I answer my own question of about 1 per day of what I viewed as electrical. :)

If everything else is done, any idea on how long the electrical work takes? I’m assuming it’s a crew of a few people so like 2 days? Or am I being way too optimistic?
There were three guys working. They were pulling lengths of cable through conduit and attaching to the pedestals. They started that morning and had 3 complete by 11 AM when we were there. They had the other five pedestals open, some already had cables pulled and they were getting the rest of the lengths of cable cut to length at the time. So this phase of the electrical work goes quickly.

There were three guys working. They were pulling lengths of cable through conduit and attaching to the pedestals.
To all who may be driving this way.
Please keep asking workers here or in Ontario where the other 4 supercharger sites they’re working on are.
We’re stuck around home and hungry for any and all details.
And my thoughts wander to Burns and Osoyoos B.C....

Reactions: RocketMan88
I was just at the Ontario, OR construction site and talked to the guys there who are doing the electrical. They are going next to Burley to complete the install there. It's a company from Gig Harbor, WA. He said Ontario and Burley would be ready before the end of March. They have at least 6 sites he rattled off that they have contracts on. So lots of progress in the NW.

Out of Gig Harbor.... I wonder if that means some of the other six might be more Oregon locations. Would be interesting to see a Hood River and Boardman, OR location pop up. Both are coming soon and that route (Pendleton to Dalles) could be a little rough. First, it’s a single point of failure on both ends... if either existing location was down for any reason you’re stuck, and you’re stuck with not a lot of level 2 options around, second, Dalles is a pretty old site and rather small and tight. Basically any towing and charging is a no go there and the truck might actually have a rough time fitting too. Finally, it’s a long stretch at just about 140 miles. In bad conditions Model 3 SR+ and probably the SR+ Y get dang close to running out of charge between those locations (think very cold, a little wind, and rain or snow on the roadway) even if they charge to dang near 100%.

If Elon’s goal is 50 (or even 100 miles), this would be a stretch that needs some attention... and I would assume is in this contractors territory if they’re working all the way out at the far east edge of Oregon. (50 mile spacing would make sense for redundancy sake. Just about any car even with towing should be able to make a 100 mile gap in any condition if one site between is damaged or reduced functionality.)

Just drove by. Coming along nicely.
FD511118-B271-4A18-8585-BCD29A17668A.jpeg
5DCFECCC-94A0-487F-9893-B112D659996A.jpeg
5699FF8D-50A9-49DE-B06E-D87AEF8CD6AE.jpeg

I am now even more excited for my trip in June to City of Rocks. Couldn't ask for a better placed SC! Now I'm counting on odds: Tesla finishes a Supercharger vs Corono shutting down parks...
I did Pocatello->City Of Rocks->Twin Falls in my S85D last year.
Had to drive 50mph part of the way to make it to Twin Falls.

This SC would have made the trip more pleasant.

I did Pocatello->City Of Rocks->Twin Falls in my S85D last year.
Had to drive 50mph part of the way to make it to Twin Falls.

This SC would have made the trip more pleasant.

Ooofff....50mph on I-84! Ouch. I would have been headed Twin Falls > City of Rocks > Twinfalls before this SC....so it's definitely very pleasant to have coming. Part of the reason I got a CHAdeMO adapter last year was that I knew there was going to be an Electrify America spot right around Burley that would help out when visiting CoR. Although, with the reliability I have experienced with Electrify America's sole CHAdeMO chargers being online....I am glad to to not have to rely on that.

Hey group! I’m leaving Colorado on Monday to head up to Washington to help my family move in a new house. I’m trying to be proactive in this time of caution and will be wearing gloves and bring sanitizing wipes for charging. I have an SR+ And will be coming from tremonton Charger to twin falls. Seems this charger might not be active by Monday. Any experiences on that route that would be helpful? Is wind an issue along that corridor?

Hey group! I’m leaving Colorado on Monday to head up to Washington to help my family move in a new house. I’m trying to be proactive in this time of caution and will be wearing gloves and bring sanitizing wipes for charging. I have an SR+ And will be coming from tremonton Charger to twin falls. Seems this charger might not be active by Monday. Any experiences on that route that would be helpful? Is wind an issue along that corridor?

It does get windy, but it’s finally warming up in this part of the world. Charge all the way up in Tremonton, turn your heater off, set your cruise at 80, maybe slow it down going up the big hills between Tremonton and the Idaho boarder (there are several) and you’ll make it just fine. If it looks like you’re in trouble by the time you make it to Burley there’s an electrify America CHAdeMO in Heyburn, or a free destination charger at the Fairfield Inn in Burley.

Reactions: ColoradoEV
I have an SR+ And will be coming from tremonton Charger to twin falls. ... Is wind an issue along that corridor?
Yes, sometimes. I almost ran out of charge in an X P100D pulling a tent-trailer along that route. All my calculations had shown I should be fine, and I couldn't figure out why my projected kept dropping like a stone. Until we stopped at a rest area to pee and emerged from the car into a 20-mph gale from the west. Made it only by creeping along I-84 at 40mph; not so safe.

Check the wind before you go, and I'd say start off at 60 or 65 until your projected battery at Twin Falls stabilizes, and then you can speed up once you get more confidence.

I have an SR+ And will be coming from tremonton Charger to twin falls. Seems this charger might not be active by Monday. Any experiences on that route that would be helpful? Is wind an issue along that corridor?
Pretty sure it won't be active Monday. Yes, I've driven this route a lot, and I've got some suggestions.

turn your heater off, set your cruise at 80
o_O My suggestion is to do the opposite of that. Seat heaters are a very tiny energy draw and are a really good tradeoff for using less regular cabin air heating. And the wind resistance from speed is a huge energy suck, so definitely in NO WAY should you start off with your cruise control set at 80 mph. You will probably not make it, doing something that unwise.

Your car is the SR+ you said, which I think has around 240 or so official rated miles? I have an older S85, which has around 250, so they are pretty similar. I always have to do this drive with my cruise set around low-ish 70's mph to start with. It's always best to start off slower, because if you are building up extra arrival margin as you go, it's always easier (and more calm) to just speed up later to use it up, rather than starting off too fast, and then find out you are in trouble and trying to claw back miles out of nothing and stressing yourself out having to slow down to 60 or 50.

Also, charging all the way up to 100% is so painful that you will probably want to leave at 96 or 97% just from not wanting to wait anymore, so you'll be a little short of your full range anyway, so take it easy to start with.

So probably start off around 72 or 74 mph or something and see how your arrival % in Twin Falls is looking after 10-15 minutes, as it has gotten a chance to model your energy use for a while with your current consumption from wind, heating, etc. Then you'll be able to see if you need to touch your speed up or down a bit.

Pretty sure it won't be active Monday. Yes, I've driven this route a lot, and I've got some suggestions.

o_O My suggestion is to do the opposite of that. Seat heaters are a very tiny energy draw and are a really good tradeoff for using less regular cabin air heating. And the wind resistance from speed is a huge energy suck, so definitely in NO WAY should you start off with your cruise control set at 80 mph. You will probably not make it, doing something that unwise.

I didn't say turn off seat heaters did I? Nope, just checked. I said turn off the heater.

I had to laugh when you said I was unwise on my suggestion. I've driven Twin-Tremonton and back on my SLC trips, in our 60D Model X with 190 miles range topped off, about 15 times over the last 3+ years. Yes, I have to reduce down to 65-70 in the winter to make it. In warmer weather I can go 75 almost the whole way, other than slowing down going up those big hills.
This guy is in an SR+ 3 with 70 more miles of range than I have in our X. With a full charge and the heater off I completely believe he'll make it going mostly 80, slowing down on the hill climbs. I'll admit I cut it close, usually roll into Twin with 5 miles or less of range. And in the winter I have to draft a semi going 70 almost the whole way. I also have a 3 and feel like the wind makes a bigger difference on my X. It's almost always windy.

I didn't say turn off seat heaters did I? Nope, just checked. I said turn off the heater.
Oh, I'm sorry. I totally did misread that somehow, you sure didn't say seat heater. I'm not sure how I got that.

As for the rolling in with 5 miles left, I will never let that be a recommendation for anyone, since there have been plenty of reports of the cars just shutting themselves down with single digit miles showing. There is too much variability and lack of accuracy that close to the bottom for that to be reliable. I consider about 10-15 to be about as low as I would cut it.

As for the rolling in with 5 miles left, I will never let that be a recommendation for anyone, since there have been plenty of reports of the cars just shutting themselves down with single digit miles showing. There is too much variability and lack of accuracy that close to the bottom for that to be reliable. I consider about 10-15 to be about as low as I would cut it.

Yeah, I was making the point that while I do cut it close, that's on my 60D Model X that's 3 years old, which is now down to 180 miles fully charged. Why do you think I've been so excited for this supercharger?

An SR+ has about 250 miles rated range. If it was cold I'd say go 75 and 65 up the hills. But now that it's warm I think he'll be fine. As always just watch projected energy estimate and adjust accordingly. Heading to Twin, once you get past Sweetzer Summit if it's looking good I'd go 80 since it's all downhill and mostly flat from there.