Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burley, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a full charge and the heater off I completely believe he'll make it going mostly 80, slowing down on the hill climbs.
This one comes to preferences, and some people are more bothered with doing without one thing than another. I think it conveys something a bit worse telling people they need to drive with the heater off (being uncomfortable) to keep their speed up, rather than having people use heat and be comfortable while just having their cruising speed be lower.

• Disagree
Reactions: upinatem
Yes, sometimes. I almost ran out of charge in an X P100D pulling a tent-trailer along that route. All my calculations had shown I should be fine, and I couldn't figure out why my projected kept dropping like a stone. Until we stopped at a rest area to pee and emerged from the car into a 20-mph gale from the west. Made it only by creeping along I-84 at 40mph; not so safe.

Check the wind before you go, and I'd say start off at 60 or 65 until your projected battery at Twin Falls stabilizes, and then you can speed up once you get more confidence.
^^^There's your problem.

The Tremonton to Twin Falls direction is 700 ft. downhill, so that helps a little. I'd be much more careful in the other direction, although I guess the typical prevailing wind is out of the west, so maybe it's a wash. Definitely use extreme caution if travelling into the wind going from Twin Falls to Tremonton though. I had a close call with a fully-charged S90D in that situation, which seems totally crazy. Admittedly, it was ~0F in January and I started going 90mph because I was in a hurry and didn't think there was any way I wouldn't make it, but boy was I wrong.

No change as of Monday, April 13. I arrived in Heyburn with 22% and plugged in at the Fairview tesla charger to get a small bump to make it to Twin Falls. Trip computer was saying 3% arrival and that was too close for comfort with the high west wind.

Attachments

• 1EECAF37-F5A8-4D47-8716-21E1A979D29E.jpeg
    1EECAF37-F5A8-4D47-8716-21E1A979D29E.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 365B0F61-BCFC-4D93-9185-D330D4CF6024.jpeg
    365B0F61-BCFC-4D93-9185-D330D4CF6024.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 126
It does get windy, but it’s finally warming up in this part of the world. Charge all the way up in Tremonton, turn your heater off, set your cruise at 80, maybe slow it down going up the big hills between Tremonton and the Idaho boarder (there are several) and you’ll make it just fine. If it looks like you’re in trouble by the time you make it to Burley there’s an electrify America CHAdeMO in Heyburn, or a free destination charger at the Fairfield Inn in Burley.
You can walk to Perkins for a meal from those destination chargers. An hour on them will get you to Twin Falls.
Most Tesla destination chargers are listed as being for customers only; can you charge at Fairfield Inn if you aren't staying overnight? I've used an RV park called Anderson Camp, in Eden ID, for an overnight stay. Cost was $45, which is a bit pricey for an RV park but way cheaper than a hotel.

This Heyburn Supercharger station will sure help with the Twin Falls to Tremonton trip leg for those just passing through. For my trips I need an overnight stay in the Twin Falls vicinity because it is about fifteen hours from home and my destination and that's my limit for a day of driving.

Most Tesla destination chargers are listed as being for customers only; can you charge at Fairfield Inn if you aren't staying overnight?.
This is the only destination charger I've ever used before so I can't speak for all of them. I believe proper etiquette is to only use if you are staying there or to at least ask for permission as a courtesy kind of thing. That being said, this one in on the end of their parking lot and they would likely have no idea if you stopped there to top off for a little bit. According to plugshare and another website (can't remember which) the manager is pro EV and probably would be fine with it. I'd just call to ask though.

This is the only destination charger I've ever used before so I can't speak for all of them. I believe proper etiquette is to only use if you are staying there or to at least ask for permission as a courtesy kind of thing. That being said, this one in on the end of their parking lot and they would likely have no idea if you stopped there to top off for a little bit. According to plugshare and another website (can't remember which) the manager is pro EV and probably would be fine with it. I'd just call to ask though.

Careful, though..... he's good with a shotgun.

Most Tesla destination chargers are listed as being for customers only; can you charge at Fairfield Inn if you aren't staying overnight?
This is the only destination charger I've ever used before so I can't speak for all of them. I believe proper etiquette is to only use if you are staying there or to at least ask for permission as a courtesy kind of thing.
Yes, generally for customers. But people tend to assume that being a customer of a hotel must mean renting a room to sleep overnight. I would say it's very rare that is required to justify being a "customer" for use of their destination wall connector. I would predict it at over 90% that if you suggest being a customer by having a sit down meal at their hotel restaurant, they would say that certainly makes you "customer" enough to use their wall connector.

I have been a Marriott customer for years. Many of the Marriott chains do EV chargers. Marriott is one of the best for EV. The chargers at Fairfeild Burley encourage me to stay at Marriott even when I fly. If I were to be refused at a place like Fairfield Inn It would cost Marriott more business than just one night at this motel.

Yes, generally for customers. But people tend to assume that being a customer of a hotel must mean renting a room to sleep overnight. I would say it's very rare that is required to justify being a "customer" for use of their destination wall connector. I would predict it at over 90% that if you suggest being a customer by having a sit down meal at their hotel restaurant, they would say that certainly makes you "customer" enough to use their wall connector.
I would agree that using the in-house restaurant, if the hotel has one, qualifies as being a customer.

However, I've never had a sit down meal on a road trip; I bring my own food or shop at grocery stores. Supercharger Stations within walking distance of a supermarket are much prized by me; I found that they are quite common in the Midwest when I did a long road trip there last October. Yes, I suppose I am an outlier in the Tesla community.

Reactions: goneskiian
I have to say that has been my experience over the past 5 years. This is one situation where making a polite and non-entitled inquiry, then expressing honest appreciation, has seemed to work better than the old "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach. (Not that I haven't tried that occasionally, too.) These may be owned by corporations but their employees are still people.

My 2 bits on the Marriott in Burley-my same associate who applied to host the super chargers gave me the heads up when they put those in (he was confused on what chargers they were and thought he’d lost the bid from Tesla) and I immediately contacted the manager of the Marriott to ask if I could use them for a quick boost when down there for work. He was completely gracious and said they’re open to anybody-but it helped I was a Marriott rewards members.

Also-just went by. Hadn’t been any change the last 2 times I checked but the trench is filled in now.
5C8A8AF9-A5B6-4B98-B45C-F10B403C4D1E.jpeg

Sorry again if this is a dumb question, but at this point it looks like everything is wired up, ready to go, correct? Just an inspection is all that is needed at this point or something else? Thanks for helping this supercharger rookie! :)
Can't tell from the pictures. May need restripping. May need a transformer. May need a meter. Some sites have looked like this for months before they got power. Others were done in a day or two.

Once it has a meter, then Tesla will send a tech out to test it and turn it on. Then they generally run at limited power for a while before they are turned up to full power and added to the computer network so that you can see them in your car.

Sorry again if this is a dumb question, but at this point it looks like everything is wired up, ready to go, correct? Just an inspection is all that is needed at this point or something else? Thanks for helping this supercharger rookie! :)
What @DanL3 said. I just sent you a description of the components via a TMC conversation message.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
Yeah we need the next person who stops by to hunt for and take pictures of the transformer and meter. Doesn't look like either are in place on the most recent pic of the full site from April 1st.
Here’s what I got. Notice there are a few plumbed up conduits by the big white one I’ve circled. I don’t know if you guys can tell anything from it but those are all that’s there. D58FA673-8429-4731-9D1C-C311A5CDB3ED.jpeg43C20DBC-9610-4294-B04C-CC27A2892A87.jpeg48835E51-BD26-4655-B6DE-3DA248EDEDAA.jpeg14B79139-6818-4EBD-9D72-A73111699B8E.jpeg