Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the minor engineering change application is scheduled for a planning board public hearing tomorrow night, 12/3

Lots of comments from the board with concerns about the proposed supercharger location detracting from work already put into the site to improve the aesthetics. Most board members were looking to either install screening around the supercharger cabinets, or relocate them to some other location on the mall property.

Planning board requested Tesla and Simon come back with a proposal to address the concerns.

EDIT: I should add that all board members seemed supportive of the project, just not the location. So there would seem to be hope that this will get done after some changes to the plans

To be continued... at the January 7th meeting.

Lots of comments from the board with concerns about the proposed supercharger location detracting from work already put into the site to improve the aesthetics. Most board members were looking to either install screening around the supercharger cabinets, or relocate them to some other location on the mall property.

Planning board requested Tesla and Simon come back with a proposal to address the concerns.

EDIT: I should add that all board members seemed supportive of the project, just not the location. So there would seem to be hope that this will get done after some changes to the plans

To be continued... at the January 7th meeting.

As someone old enough (but just barely) to remember what the Burlington Mall site looked like (albeit from the then new Rt. 128) before they began construction, it's kind of funny seeing any Planning Board concerns about aesthetics. That ship sailed a LONG time ago. I can't see the location of something as minor as the location of a dozen or so EV charging pedestals making any measurable difference to the mall metroplex at this point, but I guess as in the case of Woburn, Board members have to keep the sense that they're doing something useful.

I agree with you completely... I think Simon and/or the town has been trying to refresh the Burlington Mall property of late, and their intent was to try to ensure the supercharger's appearance was aligned with the improvements vs. taking a step back.

We all know that to us the sight of a supercharger is the future, and not a step back in time ;)

A revised plan and renderings for where Tesla and Simon properties are proposing to locate the supercharger equipment was published earlier today, likely in preparation for the next planning board meeting.

Here is a link to the PDF site plan.
Here is a link to the PDF site rendering.

This revision takes the objections by the Burlington Planning Board into account, and will hopefully meet their demands and be passed when it comes up for discussion. From the last meeting, this looks to me like it should satisfy them. The next planning board meeting is 1/7/2021 at 7pm - the agenda has not yet been published.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
As someone old enough (but just barely) to remember what the Burlington Mall site looked like (albeit from the then new Rt. 128) before they began construction, it's kind of funny seeing any Planning Board concerns about aesthetics. That ship sailed a LONG time ago. I can't see the location of something as minor as the location of a dozen or so EV charging pedestals making any measurable difference to the mall metroplex at this point, but I guess as in the case of Woburn, Board members have to keep the sense that they're doing something useful.
I agree the planning board is being awfully picky here. Why they would be concerned about some electrical cabinets mounted in that part of the parking lot is beyond me.

On a related note, I see Lexington has now been added to the upcoming locations map for Q2 2021. Anybody get wind of what location they might be considering? They put the pin on the map pretty close to the rest stop on 128/95N but I realize that might not be indicative of an actual location.

I also think Lexington's going to be at the Rt 128 rest stop. Notice that for other towns (Woburn, Burlington) they put the pin directly under the town name (even though we know where those are), whereas in Lexington the pin's no where near the town and right near the rest stop.

Other evidence - they've added a similar pin along the Mass Pike in Charlton. It's near, but not quite at, the rest stop. There's literally no where else for a supercharger to go in Charlton! I mean, I'm sure it's a lovely town and all (and apparently has the grave of Grizzly Adams, according to Google Maps - who knew!), but they're not going to put a supercharger there.

I also think Lexington's going to be at the Rt 128 rest stop. Notice that for other towns (Woburn, Burlington) they put the pin directly under the town name (even though we know where those are), whereas in Lexington the pin's no where near the town and right near the rest stop.

Other evidence - they've added a similar pin along the Mass Pike in Charlton. It's near, but not quite at, the rest stop. There's literally no where else for a supercharger to go in Charlton! I mean, I'm sure it's a lovely town and all (and apparently has the grave of Grizzly Adams, according to Google Maps - who knew!), but they're not going to put a supercharger there.

The pike sure could use a few superchargers like the ones in CT do. The one directly off the pike in Auburn does not offer a lot of amenities even during the day (the mall seems a bit run down and not a lot of eating options). There is a small pizza joint opened late close by but not much else.

I can confirm pins are ususally placed in the mapped town's geographical center not the actual future location, until it is built.
Charlton has nothing there but the rest area...the exit would be in sturbridge. Thats going to be a very popular one

Reactions: Tdreamer
No approval at tonight's meeting. Due in part to several PB members with project interest being unable to attend. Continued to next meeting later in January.

But also additional pressure to consider other locations on the Mall property. An impression a member of the planning board shared was that Tesla mostly wanted this location due to the visibility of the Tesla brand on Mall Rd as free advertising. There was also a stated desire to consolidate the multiple EV charging options at the mall into one location as part of a master plan for EV charging there. The later is a bit nuts, given Electrify America just installs new chargers there in the past year or two, and it wasn't next to the EVgo chargers.

The pike sure could use a few superchargers like the ones in CT do. The one directly off the pike in Auburn does not offer a lot of amenities even during the day (the mall seems a bit run down and not a lot of eating options). There is a small pizza joint opened late close by but not much else.

How can we lobby to have the Pike add Superchargers to rest stops? There are so many cars heading down the Pike it’s just logical to have a few across Mass.

Reactions: xcrunner41888