Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No approval at tonight's meeting. Due in part to several PB members with project interest being unable to attend. Continued to next meeting later in January.

But also additional pressure to consider other locations on the Mall property. An impression a member of the planning board shared was that Tesla mostly wanted this location due to the visibility of the Tesla brand on Mall Rd as free advertising. There was also a stated desire to consolidate the multiple EV charging options at the mall into one location as part of a master plan for EV charging there. The later is a bit nuts, given Electrify America just installs new chargers there in the past year or two, and it wasn't next to the EVgo chargers.
Here's some reporting on the meeting from later in January: Planners delay vote on Burlington Mall Tesla charging stations

Still not approved. They arranged to have a field trip (site visit/walk) to go look at the updated location and revisit the application in February.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Here's some reporting on the meeting from later in January: Planners delay vote on Burlington Mall Tesla charging stations
I read some of these comments from the people put in charge of decision making (i.e. planning board members) and just shake my head. Essentially, "I have reservations about this because charging technology may change in the next 3 to 5 years, so I'm not sure we should go forward with this. And, besides, Tesla Superchargers may bring down the pristine look of an unused parking lot in the shadow of an abandoned dilapidated old Sears store." What? :confused:

A new site location at the mall has been selected. Still subject to further discussion and approval by the full planning board, but there is cautious optimism this will move forward. This location will take more effort to get the power drop run vs. the previous location. Don't expect this site until Q3+.

Burlington Mall site change.jpg

A new site location at the mall has been selected. Still subject to further discussion and approval by the full planning board, but there is cautious optimism this will move forward. This location will take more effort to get the power drop run vs. the previous location. Don't expect this site until Q3+.

View attachment 633663

@Chuq @MarcoRP @tes-s The location pin needs to moved (again).

For what it's worth I think the original location was further away from where mall patrons would want to park, and less like to get ice'd. That end really is no man's land after Sears closed.
Not sure it matters all that much though.

Approved at tonight's planning board. More details need to be worked out, but this is a go!

EDIT: one change Tesla is doing here is running a conduit from the utility transformer that will be available for future use for level 2 chargers adjacent to the superchargers.

View attachment 634050
Thanks for the updates. This location is definitely better (i.e. closer to amenities) than the previous, although that may increase ICE risk as others have noted. Was curious if you had any sense... regarding the infrastructure being installed for future level 2 chargers... is this for the benefit of other non-Tesla charging providers? If so, was EVGo and the other charging companies currently operating at the mall required to make the same kind infrastructure investment when they were granted approval? Obviously Tesla knows what they are doing (kudos to the Super Charging team who deal with the bureaucratic headaches and nonsense), but can't help but detect an adversarial tone from government boards when Tesla wants to come in.

Reactions: kayak1
Thanks for the updates. This location is definitely better (i.e. closer to amenities) than the previous, although that may increase ICE risk as others have noted. Was curious if you had any sense... regarding the infrastructure being installed for future level 2 chargers... is this for the benefit of other non-Tesla charging providers? If so, was EVGo and the other charging companies currently operating at the mall required to make the same kind infrastructure investment when they were granted approval? Obviously Tesla knows what they are doing (kudos to the Super Charging team who deal with the bureaucratic headaches and nonsense), but can't help but detect an adversarial tone from government boards when Tesla wants to come in.
There were multiple Burlington planning board members that had concerns about this being a Tesla-exclusive charging solution. I think this was a bone Tesla put into the latest site plan to show they were listening. I personally think it would be great to see a set of L2's (with Tesla or J1772 connectors) to locations like this as they've done at some other large supercharger sites to accommodate Teslas or other EV's that want a longer duration charge while they shop.

Even closer to Pepe's pizza. Excellent! And I just saw a shake shack sign go up over there too.
I grew up in the New Haven area and worked there for a bit after college. We used to go to Pepe's, Modern, and Sally's all the time. Awesome pizza; highly recommended. I had no idea Pepe's has expanded so much; hopefully the quality didn't suffer.

• Love
Reactions: JWardell
I grew up in the New Haven area and worked there for a bit after college. We used to go to Pepe's, Modern, and Sally's all the time. Awesome pizza; highly recommended. I had no idea Pepe's has expanded so much; hopefully the quality didn't suffer.

The pizza from the Burlington location certainly doesn't compare to the New Haven location, which is debatably the best pizza I've had anywhere.
It stands up pretty well on it's own though. Definitely above average for chain restaurant Pizza.

Reactions: tga

So jealous, tell me all the secrets! :D
None of the satellite locations are as good as the original, I would say maybe 80% as good with the crust not quite right (and here in mass they put way too much cheese on the mutz). But 80% of the best pizza in the world is 1000% better than any other pizza around here!

When we are allowed to travel again, I will be taking a pizza sick day and hitting all three at once. Can't wait. And Louis' too.

Reactions: tga

Counting down the days until the fresh tomato pies are back in season. Hopefully it’ll be right in line with the SC going live.

The old proposed location is already ICE'd - there's 5 feet of plowed snow covering the area. However, it generally was clear of cars except in the Christmas runup. The other area that is (usually) reliably clear is at the extreme southeast, up against the access road from 128, and about 200 yards from the nearest mall entrance.

The current proposed location is closer to the mall, but WILL have ICEing problems pretty much all year. The EVgo site is on the other side of the mall, and close to one of the main entrances. Last time I was there, it was not ICE'd but I don't know how they keep it clear. It was only about 4 spots, iirc.

• Funny
Reactions: JWardell