Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly, I still like the original location (by Mall Road, north of the old Sears).

However, as others have pointed out, the EvGo station, in a prime location right outside one of the main entrances, seems ICE free. I drove by on Sunday, and there were a couple cars charging, including a Model Y with a CHAdeMO adapter (first I'd seen in the wild).

It's Tesla's problem, not the municipality's. Tesla's getting a free hosting location. OK, probably will have some ICEing, waaaah.

If there's a problem Tesla will ultimately find another site in the area, or they'll let online shopping continue to diminish traffic
I'm really surprised it is free. I thought for sure they'd be paying rent to the mall property owners. It would be kinda cool to learn what the details of the agreements are.

Reactions: kayak1
I'm really surprised it is free. I thought for sure they'd be paying rent to the mall property owners. It would be kinda cool to learn what the details of the agreements are.
Even if it's free, that's a lot of capital to spend on a location that many provide a bad experience, as one can't predict if we will have charger ports available via the nav screen.

Reactions: chjch
This project is a go. The minor engineering change permit #39521 has been closed out and building permit BP-21-213 issued for construction. So we're just waiting for Tesla to line up construction crews to make this one happen. My guess is it won't start for another 3+ weeks minimum, as the crew just starting on the Franklin, MA supercharger might be tapped to do this one.

NOTE: it's possible that this site could still be delayed due to utility availability for the location. During the site walk through concerns were raised about power availability in the area as a whole in addition to work needed to get a feed to the site specifically.

I drove by yesterday and the only thing I learned was a large pizza from Frank Pepe’s is 1 inch too big to fit in a 2021 M3 frunk.
5AB6D9C9-221B-4BB1-A2E5-0BCF932B83EE.jpeg

That photo does not give me any confidence that ICE'ing will not be an issue at this location. (Granted I'm not sure why anybody still comes to this mall, the lack of stores inside is getting depressing)
There will be ICE'ing at this location - I don't think there is any doubt that it will happen, it's just a question of who bad/often. Of the 12 stalls being built, 4 are "general parking" which could mean unrestricted time or could be the 15 or 30 minute restriction. The other 8 are charging only signed.

We'll see.... The agreement between Tesla and the town of Burlington includes reviewing site utilization over time and I'm sure if ICE'ing is a problem they will consider options including sign changes. The originally selected site by Tesla adjacent to Mall Rd itself would not have had ICE'ing problems, but the planning board rejected that location because they didn't want "the unsightly Tesla charging stations" impacting the recent site beautification investments. Sigh....

There will be ICE'ing at this location - I don't think there is any doubt that it will happen, it's just a question of who bad/often. Of the 12 stalls being built, 4 are "general parking" which could mean unrestricted time or could be the 15 or 30 minute restriction. The other 8 are charging only signed.
I wonder what features best discourage casual ICEing. Obviously 'If your not charging you will be towed' is the strongest, but I've seen (non Tesla) charging sites where the parking slot is painted solid green, with a plug logo. This is more likely to be noticed than a small 'Tesla only' sign, and is similar to the blue handicapped spots.

I've seen photos of sites in China where an bollard rises out of the pavement to prevent use unless a QR code is scanned, but that's a major expense.