Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the pedestals are in, none of the cabinets

PXL_20220418_202715348.jpg

PXL_20220418_202745433.jpg

I drove by this morning. It seems that the cabinets have arrived on scene. View attachment 796781
FYI - those have been there for a while...

I drove by this evening and noted they've put in some landscaping around the supercharger pad - which is odd, since that kind of work usually happens after they're done putting the equipment on the pad so they don't have to worry about messing the landscaping up. The work on the transformer pad seems to have progressed a little - hopefully they'll be ready to poor that soon. I assume no wiring has been done yet either.

Spoke with the contractor this evening... seems like there are some delays related to Eversource and where the transformer or the feed to it will be located or something along those lines. Not sure how long the delay will be - but could extend the project if work done already needs to be completed.

The contractor sounded like this was the only remaining work to do - but I'll admit, I didn't ask if the pedestals had already been wired up.

On a positive note, this may free up the crew to start their next New England Tesla Supercharger project.

Insired by @dhkaufman's visit I couldn’t help but swing by myself 😊 (I had planned to do so this evening anyway). Site is cleaned up, fences still present on the front side, but now gone in the back. One fence panel over the vault to keep Darwin from claiming souls. Eversource did the meter wiring (cardboard blank has been replaced by the meter socket).

The pedestals being opened up could have been Tesla Energy doing some pre commissioning checks, or a final electrical inspection by the city (or both).
BB01A931-FD3C-40AF-BDB4-87405D5CE8B4.jpeg
A0BCD42C-0653-4A5A-8478-D79177DD803F.jpeg

IMG_7341.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been checking this site pretty much daily when I've been around. Almost no change. I did notice that on June 10th (day after my previous "no changes" update there had been a subtle change where Eversource had returned to do some prep work to pull cable from the transformer into the vault. Sadly, the same can't be said for the primary conduit coming into the vault from the manhole in front of sweetgreen. There have been no changes from 6/10 through last night when I last checked.

I'm half expecting that when the time comes to do the cable work it will happen overnight due to the traffic in and around this area during the day.
IMG_7386.jpeg
IMG_7387.jpeg

Monday 6/60 update. Tesla Energy on-site doing pre commissioning. Goal is to have it online by 7/4. Hoping to have Eversource run the cables from the manhole to transformer and from ther to superchargers by 7/1.
View attachment 818861
I went by today. No changes, but I did notes that all spots have 'Tesla Parking Only' signs. Initially this was not clear.
I've been checking this site pretty much daily when I've been around. Almost no change. I did notice that on June 10th (day after my previous "no changes" update there had been a subtle change where Eversource had returned to do some prep work to pull cable from the transformer into the vault. Sadly, the same can't be said for the primary conduit coming into the vault from the manhole in front of sweetgreen. There have been no changes from 6/10 through last night when I last checked.

I'm half expecting that when the time comes to do the cable work it will happen overnight due to the traffic in and around this area during the day.
View attachment 817297View attachment 817298
What component goes in this space? Eversource has a big-ass transformer on site, there are various white Tesla cabinets already in place (but no powermeter, just a socket).

Reactions: Tdreamer
I went by today. No changes, but I did notes that all spots have 'Tesla Parking Only' signs. Initially this was not clear.

What component goes in this space? Eversource has a big-ass transformer on site, there are various white Tesla cabinets already in place (but no powermeter, just a socket).
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure. I'm pretty sure this is just a splice or junction box for the feeds coming from the street to the transformer, and then from the transformer to the supercharger cabinets. I'm not sure if there is an additional box is dropped into what's already there, or if they just secure a cover on top of it once wiring is completed. I haven't heard any specifics about Burlington in this regard. A quick conversation with a contractor working the site a few weeks ago suggested Burlington should be done sometime in July.

I do know that the multi month delay for the New Haven CT supercharger site is related to a many-month lead time on the specified splice box for that site, and they were working to get approval to procure one from a different vendor. That's still playing out down there.

Reactions: mociaf9 and kayak1
Interesting - the last published plan I found called for 8 tesla charging only dedicated stalls and 4 other signs (although the exact sign wording was not in the plan as it frequently is). The plan also shows the splice box and transformer locations reversed to where they ended up as-built - not sure if that was an eversource error, a contractor error, or a final design change that wasn't published. It's possible the eversource conduit that was done last November came in at the wrong place and they've just adapted the build onsite.

So... no visible changes today, but... the transformer is now live (humming). When I was speaking with Eversource onsite the other day they did mention something about a change in plans for what circuit was going to feed the site. So it appears the feed comes directly into the transformer pad and not via the splice box. It's hard to say when the next step will occur - we don't know what the lead time is on the delivery of the splice box which is required for any further wiring.