Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington VT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Tesla Supercharger team (who have always been excellent at responding to this stuff IME): "We will be removing the signs you mentioned and adding additional signage which makes it clear where non-Tesla vehicles cannot park. Half of the stalls at this site are reserved for Tesla charging."

From Tesla Supercharger team (who have always been excellent at responding to this stuff IME): "We will be removing the signs you mentioned and adding additional signage which makes it clear where non-Tesla vehicles cannot park. Half of the stalls at this site are reserved for Tesla charging."

Thanks for getting this changed. Sorry you had to be the sacrificial lamb to get it done.

But, to be fair, no reports of anyone not being able to charge (yet).
With patience, you can always end up charging. Yesterday, I was towards washington DC where both charger were in use when we got there. I was able to supercharge after waiting for about 1H in the mall. So yes, I cannot say I was not able to charge, but it cost me about 120km in my planned trip back home. Will be in Burlington in about 2H... Let's see how many spots are available ;)

With patience, you can always end up charging. Yesterday, I was towards washington DC where both charger were in use when we got there. I was able to supercharge after waiting for about 1H in the mall. So yes, I cannot say I was not able to charge, but it cost me about 120km in my planned trip back home. Will be in Burlington in about 2H... Let's see how many spots are available ;)
OK, I'll be more specific - no reports of all spots occupied (ICEd or chargers in use), and anyone having to wait to charge. :wink:

Stopped at Burlington today about 2:30 - 7 out of 8 spots were ICE'd, but luckily the 8th spot was open. The "You can park here" signs were still all up ...

Busy day at the malls. On the Club Tesla fb, there are photos taken this afternoon from someone who arrived and found your car charging, but the other seven slots ICEd, including by a tractor. What is the average turnover time for tractor parking?

https://www.facebook.com/clubteslaquebec/?fref=ts

OK, I'll be more specific - no reports of all spots occupied (ICEd or chargers in use), and anyone having to wait to charge. :wink:

Actually I had to wait today for 10 minutes and I got lucky because one of the ICE cars' owners came back to his car to get something and sat in his car. I went over to him and asked him to move and he went into the supermarket to get his wife to move the car. another Tesla showed up about 5 minutes after me and had to wait 30 minutes for a spot to open up. It was really packed and as others reported, 6 of the 8 spots had signs telling ICE cars they were allowed to park there but even so, ALL spots were solidly ICEd (except one being used by a Model S that got there before me). Not a pleasant situation or something you want to come to after driving a few hours.

Actually I had to wait today for 10 minutes and I got lucky because one of the ICE cars' owners came back to his car to get something and sat in his car.
Did you report this to Tesla? This is the first I've heard of anyone waiting at Burlington.

Yes, people have reported ICE'ing before. But, IMHO, ICE'ing that doesn't impact peoples' ability to charge is much lower priority than when it prevents/delays charging.

Tesla needs to know that the situation has gotten much worse, with people now being impacted. I mean, parking snow removal equipment semi-permanently in a supercharger bay? Seriously? Why is the store allowing that?

I wrote an email to the supercharger team as well recently. Everytime I use this location, at least one of the "reserved" spots has been ICEd, in addition to the others. There were stalls open, but it really saddens me that the locals are almost been trained to ICE.

This is sad. You would assume that Tesla is getting *better* at choosing where to site their superchargers, especially since it takes so much capital and time to install them. A small strip mall parking lot seems like an immediate red flag, regardless of the support of the owners.

This is sad. You would assume that Tesla is getting *better* at choosing where to site their superchargers, especially since it takes so much capital and time to install them. A small strip mall parking lot seems like an immediate red flag, regardless of the support of the owners.
I agree and disagree with a remote (unattended) location. I love arriving at a SuC knowing there won't be any ICEing issue, nor a Tesla line-up to charge. On the other hand, time seems longer when you have to wait 30-45 minutes in an airport parking lot (Savannah, GA), a restaurant parking lot when it's not time to eat (Rocky Mount, NC), or a close Tesla store (We arrived late in Riviera Beach, FL). So a mall, in my opinion, is great (Edison, NJ - St Augustine, FL - Bethesda, MD (Although this one was the worse with only 2 SuC, and about 6 Model S!)) because we can spend all the money we didn't spend on gas in the stores (kill me now!) :) w

If it sounds like I am complaining, it was not my intention at all! We have just finished a 7000km road trip from Montreal to the Florida Keys and back (after being all around Florida)! THANK YOU TESLA, You Rock!!

PS: Now we really need a SuC between Albany and Montreal... going from Albany to Burlington is really no fun at all, but unfortunately necessary in the winter.

South Burlington just recently opened. It seems likely that the ICEing issue will eventually get resolved. Some strategic cone placement might be a good place to start. It's been a while since I've read any complaints about West Hartford. Charged there over Xmas and saw just a lone white cone standing guard. Refreshingly, even though the entire strip mall parking lot was better than 90 percent full, all of the Supercharger spots were unoccupied.

To put it in perspective, charging out in left field at the Auburn Mall or the back lot in West Springfield doesn't seem like much of an inconvenience. There is merit in choosing to install Supercharger sites on the fringe areas of all commercial properties.

On the other hand, time seems longer when you have to wait 30-45 minutes in an airport parking lot (Savannah, GA),

Huh? If you go into the terminal to the information desk to validate your parking, there's a food court and shops directly upstairs from there. I've only been there during the day, but I've read that even at night, the security guards will let you in to use the restrooms. If it's late at night, I don't think it would be much different at a mall (Auburn) or a shopping center (all closed).

Tesla has done a great job in the mid atlantic about spreading the chargers around (except for PA of course). Going from DC to New York there is a great selection of rest stop type locations with not great dining/shopping options, but very quick access and 24/7 facilities, and also mall locations that are a bit farther from the highway but of great options of things to do while charging. Hopefully as the network matures this will continue and get fleshed out some more.

I don't understand why Healthy Living would go to the cost and trouble of getting supercharger, and then basically make it so it can't be used. Sounds like there was a change in management or something that happened.

I don't understand why Healthy Living would go to the cost and trouble of getting supercharger, and then basically make it so it can't be used. Sounds like there was a change in management or something that happened.
Unfortunately, as I reported in post #175 on 20 Dec., the company's owner knows exactly what is occurring and his response to me seemed like a fine example of kicking the can down the road. I repeat my suggestion that those of you more local than I get back in touch with him - and stay on it.

I'm sorry to have been away from this discussion for a while, but I have been working on this. I contacted the owners when I began to see the 4 Tesla-only slots getting ICE'd. Healthy Living was insanely busy during the week leading up to Christmas, making it more likely that the Superchargers would get ICE'd. This is going to be a difficult location to manage, simply because parking is often filled to capacity. In the seven years they've been at this location, I've never seen it this busy. It must be the craft beer selection. :smile:

I was on site for the official dedication. At that time, only the four signs on the west side had been modified—from "General Parking - 30 Minute Limit" to "You Can Park Here." During the Christmas rush, they also modified two of the "Tesla Charging Only" signs to read "You Can Park Here." This left only two spaces with the original "Tesla Charging Only" signs.

Here's my take on why HL did it... For the first six weeks after the site went live, there were very few Teslas coming by to charge. It was extremely rare to see more than one at a time. As the holiday season approached and the store got busier, HL got pressured by their regular customers to loosen up some of those Tesla spaces that weren't being used anyway. So, they modified the signs and generally tried to keep everyone happy. But then two things happened: A steady stream of Teslas began arriving from Montreal, and the holiday shopping went nuts. I think HL was unaware of the increase in Tesla traffic, but I've been seeing it because I eat lunch there every day.

I have been working on the problem. If you come to this Supercharger and find it ICE'd, PLEASE come to the customer service desk inside the store and ask to speak to Eli (one of the owners) or to the store manager. It's important that we impress on them the importance of keeping the Superchargers available. I have recommended to Eli that they return to the original signage as approved by the City of South Burington.