Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington VT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I would prefer there to be one in the vicinity of Plattsburgh when I go from NYC to Montreal, but as there is nothing on the radar screen right now I will be delighted to go the extra 60ish miles out of my way to go via Burlington rather than take my chances on running out of power short of Montreal.

Personally, I would prefer there to be one in the vicinity of Plattsburgh when I go from NYC to Montreal, but as there is nothing on the radar screen right now I will be delighted to go the extra 60ish miles out of my way to go via Burlington rather than take my chances on running out of power short of Montreal.

Same here. Plattsburgh is a must. As for going to / from Montreal via Burlington, I still haven't decided whether it's worth the added time of the farther drive and the charge time going through Burlington or whether it's better to just drive slower straight to Montreal. I think the former is a more interesting drive and as you said, much less hair-raising; however, I've managed to go straight to Montreal many times (including in the dead of winter) by driving between 60 and 70 for most of the problematic stretch between Albany and Montreal.

@Bert,

Out of curiosity, why is it that you prefer to go through Burlington to get to NYC from Montreal and not Plattsburgh/Albany? Isn't Plattsburgh/Albany faster?

Just curious...

Thanks!
hi @zax,

Indeed it is. however, there are no superchargers there. The trip woul need to go via New Lebanon which is much longer.

Of course, were there a Supercharger in Plattsburgh, that would be even better! at least the black hole is now filled...
i only have a 70D so stressful to attempt Albany direct.
bertrand

Update from Ground Control

I've been informed that the site will hopefully go live sometime this coming week. The electric utility has to make an adjustment, and the contractor needs to add asphalt to the gap around the charge stanchions.

A formal ribbon-cutting and press event is tentatively planned for the morning of December 2nd. I will confirm when we get closer.

If you are planning a trip in this direction, be sure to check the Supercharger list in your Navigation app before leaving. If you see "Healthy Living - South Burlington VT" listed, you're good to go!

DSC_8880Edited.jpg

(Photo taken while testing the Supercharger)

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for the updates and your dedication in helping us that essentially require this Supercharger. OK, require may be a bit strong a word but really, it is very useful to have it now (or really really soon). Happy you got to be the first car on it too!

I've just made the calculations (should've done that earlier) from my place in Montreal to the Albany Supercharger via Plattsburgh and via Burlington and the difference is 31 km (19 miles), Plattsburgh being obviously faster from Montreal. This means essentially a 15 - 20 min difference in driving time. No significant in my book due to the speed of charging I'll get to get to Albany after.

Now, if you're coming from the west of Plattsburgh, then I agree that it's a significant detour. However, for the Montreal - NYC route, this is very very good in my opinion. Already planning that first trip as soon as it is up. Also planning a road trip to Orlando over the winter holidays.

Thanks again for all the updates. Looking forward to having the site open and operational.

Bertrand

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for the updates and your dedication in helping us that essentially require this Supercharger. OK, require may be a bit strong a word but really, it is very useful to have it now (or really really soon). Happy you got to be the first car on it too!

I've just made the calculations (should've done that earlier) from my place in Montreal to the Albany Supercharger via Plattsburgh and via Burlington and the difference is 31 km (19 miles), Plattsburgh being obviously faster from Montreal. This means essentially a 15 - 20 min difference in driving time. No significant in my book due to the speed of charging I'll get to get to Albany after.

Now, if you're coming from the west of Plattsburgh, then I agree that it's a significant detour. However, for the Montreal - NYC route, this is very very good in my opinion. Already planning that first trip as soon as it is up. Also planning a road trip to Orlando over the winter holidays.

Thanks again for all the updates. Looking forward to having the site open and operational.

Bertrand

Hi Bertrand,

I agree the drive is not much further if you go through South Burlington rather than Plattsburgh but I think it will be much longer in terms of time. According to Google Maps, it would take me about 6 hours to make it to my usual destination (the center of the island of Montreal) if I went through Plattsburgh. If I went through South Burlington, Google Maps says it would take me about 7.5 hours and that does not include any charging time. Granted, Google Maps doesn't take into account the fact that I have to slow down a bit between Albany and Montreal when I go through Plattsburgh in order to increase my mileage. However, I think the time lost there would be about the same as the time it would take to charge in South Burlington.

So the difference in distance is only about 20 miles or but the difference in time is about an hour and a half. Perhaps the longer time is due to the traffic lights and slower roads in and around South Burlington as opposed to just taking the 87 all the way up to Montreal?

Did you look at travel times vs distance? Even though it's only ~30km, Google Maps says that going though South Burlington on the Montreal<->Albany route adds almost an hour and a half.

No matter how you do it (going under Lake George, or the bridge at Crown Point), it looks like you're spending a lot of time on VT back roads. The ferries would get you back to 87 more quickly, but I have no idea the cost or time involved.

Seems to me that South Burlington is a poor substitute for Plattsburgh (are you listening, Tesla? :wink:)

EDIT: Tabarnouche beat me. Yeah, what he said.

EDIT #2: See Lake Champlain Ferries | New York Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Looks like the Charlotte-Essex ferry is open year round (?), $10 car & driver, 25 minutes to cross. Might save you 25 miles of back roads and get on 87 20 miles further north? The ferry out of Burlington has a 1.5 hour crossing, so that might not save any time.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, Healthy Living offers better lunch options than anything you'd encounter going south on I-87 (until Saratoga, where there's another Healthy Living!)

I have not heard any detail about a Supercharger in Plattsburgh or somewhere south of there. There is a grey dot on Tesla's future Supercharger map that would seem to indicate Plattsburgh, but you never know. There are many variables in determining a Supercharger location. Personally, I would rather see one somewhere between Schroon Lake and the Lake Placid-High Peaks exit. This would still be within 140 miles of Montreal, and it would offer much more utility for visitors to the Adirondacks. There are VERY few charging stations in the Adirondack Park. Lake Placid has one hotel with a pair of HPWC's, and one grocery store with a pair of level 2 chargers. There is also one HPWC at the very exclusive Point Resort on Upper Saranac Lake. Other than that, there is nothing for hundreds of square miles. It's almost as if they haven't heard of electric cars yet. (Lake Placid is my home town, by the way.)

If it's any consolation, Healthy Living offers better lunch options than anything you'd encounter going south on I-87 (until Saratoga, where there's another Healthy Living!)

I have not heard any detail about a Supercharger in Plattsburgh or somewhere south of there. There is a grey dot on Tesla's future Supercharger map that would seem to indicate Plattsburgh, but you never know. There are many variables in determining a Supercharger location. Personally, I would rather see one somewhere between Schroon Lake and the Lake Placid-High Peaks exit. This would still be within 140 miles of Montreal, and it would offer much more utility for visitors to the Adirondacks. There are VERY few charging stations in the Adirondack Park. Lake Placid has one hotel with a pair of HPWC's, and one grocery store with a pair of level 2 chargers. There is also one HPWC at the very exclusive Point Resort on Upper Saranac Lake. Other than that, there is nothing for hundreds of square miles. It's almost as if they haven't heard of electric cars yet. (Lake Placid is my home town, by the way.)

I agree. Somewhere below Exit 30 to get Rt 73 to Keene, Lake Placid and Saranac Lake. But I'm not sure which exits along there have anything in the way of food or gas stations in the day, let alone overnight. Years ago I used to make the drive up from New York City to near Plattsburgh regularly, and got range anxiety along that stretch in an ICE, especially at night. I learned to gas up around Exits 18 and 19, before entering the Adirondack Park.

I agree. Somewhere below Exit 30 to get Rt 73 to Keene, Lake Placid and Saranac Lake...

The High Peaks rest stop between exits 29 and 30 would be good. Vending machines and clean bathrooms. Ample space in the lot. Too bad TM doesn't have a history with State thruway authorities like they do in neighboring CT. I also wonder if there are special restrictions on development in the Adirondack park.

How can driving an extra 30 km take 1.5 hours? This makes no sense?

Did you look at travel times vs distance? Even though it's only ~30km, Google Maps says that going though South Burlington on the Montreal<->Albany route adds almost an hour and a half.

No matter how you do it (going under Lake George, or the bridge at Crown Point), it looks like you're spending a lot of time on VT back roads. The ferries would get you back to 87 more quickly, but I have no idea the cost or time involved.

Seems to me that South Burlington is a poor substitute for Plattsburgh (are you listening, Tesla? :wink:)

EDIT: Tabarnouche beat me. Yeah, what he said.

EDIT #2: See Lake Champlain Ferries | New York Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Looks like the Charlotte-Essex ferry is open year round (?), $10 car & driver, 25 minutes to cross. Might save you 25 miles of back roads and get on 87 20 miles further north? The ferry out of Burlington has a 1.5 hour crossing, so that might not save any time.

The High Peaks rest stop between exits 29 and 30 would be good. Vending machines and clean bathrooms. Ample space in the lot. Too bad TM doesn't have a history with State thruway authorities like they do in neighboring CT. I also wonder if there are special restrictions on development in the Adirondack park.

I agree that the Welcome Center rest area is in the correct location, but it is only on the Northbound side.

How can driving an extra 30 km take 1.5 hours? This makes no sense?

Google mapping from the Montreal (SC) SC to I-87 Exit 17 south of Glens Falls:
- direct is 289km in 2 hours 51 minutes, an average of 63mph.
- via South Burlington is 324km in 3 hours 58 minutes, an average of 50.75mph.
The difference is 25km extra distance, combined with lower-speed state highways.

I drive up to the NY side from Boston regularly, usually via the Charlotte-Essex ferry. It's a nice ride with great views across the lake. Additional passengers are $4 for adults, $1.75 for kids 6-12. Runs twice an hour during the day, once an hour early/late and in winter. Last ferry ranges from 5pm in winter to 9 or 10 in summer. Runs year round unless the lake freezes up, which used to happen regularly but not in recent years.

I recommend it - it's less than half an hour from the South Burlington supercharger and you can get on I-87 SB within about 15 minutes after leaving the ferry. You don't want to be taking the Burlington-Port Kent ferry.

Ouch, thanks for pointing that out. Anyway, the best range booster for I-87 this Winter may be el nino if it means temperatures in the 30s instead of the consistent below zeros we've seen the last two years.

I stand corrected! Further research indicates that there are two High Peaks Welcome Centers on I-87...

Northbound: Mile Marker 96.5, between exits 29 & 30, High Peaks Northbound Welcome Center

Southbound: Mile Marker 99, between exits 30 & 29, High Peaks Southbound Welcome Center

I will pass this on to the Supercharger team.