Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burnaby, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Sorry, this might be a bit premature, as approval of the rezoning application from 2018 isn't confirmed.

Please delete if too early!

Per the link below, the mall developer applied to rezone the first floor of an old Sears building to "accommodate a sales, service, supercharger and auto body location for Tesla in Burnaby.”

The GPS location of the old Sears building is 49.267245, -122.998104.

Brentwood Station: Community Centre and Tesla coming to Amazing Brentwood

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-niyIBPaZ...BDb1z-RwCLcBGAs/s1600/Sears+Tesla++letter.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fJc0qxvL...zy3wCLcBGAs/s1600/Sears+to+tesla+showroom.JPG

Hi,

Sorry, this might be a bit premature, as approval of the rezoning application from 2018 isn't confirmed.

Please delete if too early!

Per the link below, the mall developer applied to rezone the first floor of an old Sears building to "accommodate a sales, service, supercharger and auto body location for Tesla in Burnaby.”

The GPS location of the old Sears building is 49.267245, -122.998104.

Brentwood Station: Community Centre and Tesla coming to Amazing Brentwood

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-niyIBPaZBu8/XA367vv-OGI/AAAAAAAACeQ/GpI6JGWzDVs1BIyQrQcEfn2k3BDb1z-RwCLcBGAs/s1600/Sears+Tesla++letter.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fJc0qxvLRzo/XA367vuM8-I/AAAAAAAACeU/XIBSlWKLcBYXPrVwG22-IQr9P2BoAzy3wCLcBGAs/s1600/Sears+to+tesla+showroom.JPG
Well, now this post (from April) makes perfect sense!
I heard a rumour that the Burnaby Supercharger will go into the new Amazing Brentwood development (Willingdon + Lougheed).

I looked about Google when that was posted, and found nothing. I’m guessing I had only to look at the city’s web page!

I’m pretty sure this could be worth a on Supercharge Info, since, although it is permit from last year, it’s probably still valid, like the ones for Nipigon and Terrace Bay. I’ll update the map soon but @BlueShift and @Chuq may think differently.

Well, now this post (from April) makes perfect sense!

I looked about Google when that was posted, and found nothing. I’m guessing I had only to look at the city’s web page!

I’m pretty sure this could be worth a on Supercharge Info, since, although it is permit from last year, it’s probably still valid, like the ones for Nipigon and Terrace Bay. I’ll update the map soon but @BlueShift and @Chuq may think differently.
Yeah, Tesla is building a delivery center there and a service center and an inventory center if that makes any sense. Just a whole big Tesla shop in the area of the old sears. The area is still under heavy construction but it can be somewhat done by the end of the year.

Why wouldn’t it be public? Tesla is planning one for this year
A600F215-1A7F-43C5-AE95-71ECDD9EB7D9.jpeg

Why wouldn’t it be public? Tesla is planning one for this yearView attachment 458171

Because a public location could be elsewhere, not inside a building where the service centre is co-located.

If the permit was for the parking lot it would be different, but the letter indicated it is for the lower level of the Sears ... that's... inside a building.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.23.46 AM.png

"The intent of this rezoning application is to permit the renovation of the lower level of the former Sears (Unit 1) to accomodate a sales, service, supercharger and auto body location for Tesla in Burnaby. The tenant will use the Premises for the sales, service, maintenance, charging, repair, delivery and storage of new and pre-owned automobiles, energy products, and related parts and accessories, and for the general office purposes".

I read that as it is an interior location, for charging of new and pre-owned Teslas.

I drove by Brentwood today. It looks like 2 towers are basically done, and the 3rd is part way up. These are all part of "Phase 1".

Phase 2 is a rec centre with residential above it on the NW corner (according to article linked in OP).

Phase 3 is the Sears eastern end, which I drove by today ... it looks like what you'd expect an empty department store to look like inside. Empty. Barren. Around the area is the access and staging and portables related to the construction going on in phase 1.

I don't think anything is happening in Phase 3 until Phase 2 is done, which doesn't look at all like it has broken ground yet (it's still just normal parking lot area for Brentwood in the NW corner). Phase 2 probably won't start until Phase 1 is done?? ... I think that means all 3 towers need to be done.

Tesla/Sears is over to the left on the east side in phase 3 area:

Phase%2B2%2BNW%2BCorner%2BBMR.JPG

EDIT: No pics, but I have grainy as heck dashcam footage I could screen shot if anyone was really interested (it's boring).

Last edited:
I drove by Brentwood today. It looks like 2 towers are basically done, and the 3rd is part way up. These are all part of "Phase 1".

Phase 2 is a rec centre with residential above it on the NW corner (according to article linked in OP).

Phase 3 is the Sears eastern end, which I drove by today ... it looks like what you'd expect an empty department store to look like inside. Empty. Barren. Around the area is the access and staging and portables related to the construction going on in phase 1.

I don't think anything is happening in Phase 3 until Phase 2 is done, which doesn't look at all like it has broken ground yet (it's still just normal parking lot area for Brentwood in the NW corner). Phase 2 probably won't start until Phase 1 is done?? ... I think that means all 3 towers need to be done.

Tesla/Sears is over to the left on the east side in phase 3 area:

Phase%2B2%2BNW%2BCorner%2BBMR.JPG

EDIT: No pics, but I have grainy as heck dashcam footage I could screen shot if anyone was really interested (it's boring).

Of course I meant "Tesla/Sears is over to the RIGHT on the east side in phase 3 area"

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Of course I meant "Tesla/Sears is over to the RIGHT on the east side in phase 3 area"
Looks like the Phase 3 where the old Sears store / New Tesla store will be installed after Phase 2 will be done, unless there are different teams working on the construction. This is surely an interesting location and situation. I will try to do a drone flyover this site because I don't know if I can trespass on foot.

Just got my drone license like a month ago :D

Also darth_vad3r you might be right that this location will just be like a big store location and the actual chargers might be somewhere else. If I was Tesla I would install about 20-40 urban chargers for all the delivery cars and people just charging just because the huge influx of Tesla's in BC

is the store really going to be part of Phase 2? or phase 4?

Looks like the old sears building is part of Phase 4 of the redevelopment plan, and while the sears building wouldn't necessarily be the last part of the phase 4, brentwood project is indeed a 20 yr long project..

Google Maps

Amazing-Brentwood_1.jpg

Ya good question. Based on the map, Sears is drawn as that far right jutting out bit of phase 4. I was going off of the text I screenshotted in this post that said the Tesla/Sears permit was part of phase 3. Maybe the phase 3 lines got redrawn after these plans but before the permit letter was written ... or the letter is wrong, or the drawing. Or both :)

EDIT: Hmmm, actually. The 3rd link in OP says that the subject site is in "Phase IV (former Sears store)" LOL. So ya, the letter was wrong. Or I misinterpreted it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Gud'morning folks,

My thanks to BlueSteel, Poobearcretu, darth_vad3r and Colsla for digging for the above information.

Hi,

(snip, snip for brevity)

For the Supercharger to move to the Permit stage, I would hazard a guess that the application letter of October 22, 2018 has been acted upon and Tesla now has a Permit and a "Go" to proceed with putting in the Supercharger.

But as the information says it is only "A" Supercharger (ie just one), it suggests the following.

It would make good sense as a precursor to turning the old Sears level into a combined Service Centre - Show Room - Delivery Center.

That lower east side parking lot is going to be accessible for a number of years to come before Phase 4 gets started, so moving the Delivery Centre and Service Centres out of Vancouver and into Brentwood makes sense for the following reasons.

1... It will put both Delivery and Service in a geographically central location in Metro Vancouver in general.

2... it will be rapid transit accessable via Sky Train.

3... very close to Hwy 1, the major east-west artery thru Metro Vancouver.

3... Customers would not have to fight the clogged streets of Vancouver get to either the Service Centre or to take Delivery.

4....with 10% of the Delivery's world wide in the last 3 months occurring in Metro Vancouver, and the fact that we have the 2nd busiest Delivery Center after Fremont, an expansion to a larger facility makes sense.

Putting ONE TSC stall here, therefore would make sense.

... BUT One TSC stall would NOT serve the explosively growing number of Tesla owners in the Burnaby area.

So unless they add more, looks like I will continue to enjoy the nice highway run out to Guildford Mall to pre warm my 90D's battery before a Supercharging session.

Thanks again folks for digging up the related links.

Food for thought,

Kindest regards,
Hugh-SG

Editted for clarity as I missed the fact that it is just One TSC going in at the Brentwood location.

Last edited:
Gud'morning folks,

My thanks to BlueSteel, Poobearcretu, darth_vad3r and Colsla for digging for the above information.

For the Supercharger to move to the Permit stage, I would hazard a guess that the application letter of October 22, 2018 has been acted upon and Tesla now has a Permit and a "Go" to proceed with putting in the Supercharger.

But as the information says it is only "A" Supercharger (ie just one), it suggests the following.

It would make good sense as a precursor to turning the old Sears level into a combined Service Centre - Show Room - Delivery Center.

That lower east side parking lot is going to be accessible for a number of years to come before Phase 4 gets started, so moving the Delivery Centre and Service Centres out of Vancouver and into Brentwood makes sense for the following reasons.

1... It will put both Delivery and Service in a geographically central location in Metro Vancouver in general.

2... it will be rapid transit accessable via Sky Train.

3... very close to Hwy 1, the major east-west artery thru Metro Vancouver.

3... Customers would not have to fight the clogged streets of Vancouver get to either the Service Centre or to take Delivery.

4....with 10% of the Delivery's world wide in the last 3 months occurring in Metro Vancouver, and the fact that we have the 2nd busiest Delivery Center after Fremont, an expansion to a larger facility makes sense.

Putting ONE TSC stall here, therefore would make sense.

... BUT One TSC stall would NOT serve the explosively growing number of Tesla owners in the Burnaby area.

So unless they add more, looks like I will continue to enjoy the nice highway run out to Guildford Mall to pre warm my 90D's battery before a Supercharging session.

Thanks again folks for digging up the related links.

Food for thought,

Kindest regards,
Hugh-SG

Editted for clarity as I missed the fact that it is just One TSC going in at the Brentwood location.
They would probably but about 2 dozen or 20 Urban chargers for the public and the equivalent for the 16kW destination chargers for the service and delivery center. Just a rough guess on service center and delivery center areas.