Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burnaby, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Metrotown mall? or the general area?

Parking lot. Metro town.

so most likely wont be 24/7 one, but s till good to hear that there is actual progress with buranby superchargers. Really good for burnaby owners. Can't wait!

Interesting. The surface lots at Metrotown all have varied ownership and "recently" became pay lots (with 2 hours free parking during mall hours). If the SC goes in outside instead of down in the parkade it might be 24/7 but it also might be in a pay parking area.

Brentwood would be the better choice for highway commuters. Metrotown is way too far off the highway, people will complain from day one if it ends up being located there. Far too busy with mall traffic and Kingsway commuters to be a quick in and out. I would assume there will be too much construction chaos over the next few years at Brentwood Mall build another 6 towers. Hmm, unless maybe they could locate it underground in the completed south west corner of the project, then it would have pay parking. Disclosure, I have a bias as I live two blocks to Brentwood ;-)

Brentwood would be the better choice for highway commuters. Metrotown is way too far off the highway, people will complain from day one if it ends up being located there. Far too busy with mall traffic and Kingsway commuters to be a quick in and out. I would assume there will be too much construction chaos over the next few years at Brentwood Mall build another 6 towers. Hmm, unless maybe they could locate it underground in the completed south west corner of the project, then it would have pay parking. Disclosure, I have a bias as I live two blocks to Brentwood ;-)
Completely agree with you. Metrotown is already chaos and I avoid that area as much as possible.

The parking in front of the old Sears building at Brentwood would’ve been perfect for super chargers.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I live right beside metrotown so this would be amazing. Think in the past they've put 2019 or 2020 as target opening and kept updating the date to the next year and now it's Q3 2021, but there's a whole bunch of SC's around BC and AB targeted for Q3 and Q4 2021. Wonder if this means it's actually gonna happen now. Did someone from tesla confirm it's at metro?

Has anybody tried sleuthing around Burnaby? With a Q3 opening time (according to Tesla), that means they should be onsite now or real soon. Last month I drove around Brentwood Mall and under and throughout the new Brentwood buildings underground garages. I suspect that they might have chosen a different location more convenient for locals as Highway 1 has a reasonable amount of chargers already. I checked Metrotown in some spots but not in the underground garages. But with Metrotown Mall planning a major overhaul, they might not get SC's there. We need some more people to checkout some places around Burnaby. It could be an obscure location like somewhere along Hastings (eg. parking lot of Safeway, London Drugs, Grocery Stores), BCIT Campus, at one of the Skytrain Stations, Costco, Home Depot, around Metrotown itself - outside of the Mall area - or even down in South Burnaby by Market Crossing. Tesla really is likely to already have boots on the ground somewhere in Burnaby. So we just need some locals to sleuth around and look for construction fencing around a small corner of a parking lot.

Even though Tesla has "Burnaby" on their map, I wouldn't rule out something close to Hwy 1 on the Vancouver side of Boundary Road. I see that there is a Walmart on the Grandview Hwy just west of Boundary Road. I believe that Walmart has hosted Superchargers in other communities.

I would think the MacDonald at Willingdon and Highway 1 to be a good location for highway coverage.
Yes, that would be a good location because it's right off the highway and has a large part of the parking lot (the western part) that appears to be used very little. Only problem is it is very subject to flooding and I'm no expert, but I don't think Superchargers and water mix well.

• Informative
The Walmart on Grandview highway has poor access, narrow approaches. If I were to build one in Burnaby, I would choose the north west corner of the BCIT footprint, at Canada Way and Willingdon. This way you can capture commuter traffic on Canada Way AND be at one of the closest points to highway one. This is even closer than Brentwood Mall. I think the area around the McDonald's will eventually be redeveloped, perhaps more car dealerships next to Toyota.

Yes, that would be a good location because it's right off the highway and has a large part of the parking lot (the western part) that appears to be used very little. Only problem is it is very subject to flooding and I'm no expert, but I don't think Superchargers and water mix well.
They put the cabinets and switchgear up on pedestals in places like Marathon, FL and Columbus, TX, but yeah I'm sure they'd rather not assume the additional expense that entails if they don't have to.

Pictures?

Also, the pin location means nothing.
if that's the same guy from reddit, he's been claiming that's the spot for a while now..he claimed that it just happens to be close to the pin location, but seems like such a small and weird site for a supercharger... and not many amenities within walking distance.. I am surprised we still haven't seen any permits if the construction is ongoing, or maybe he could provide pics to prove me wrong.

if that's the same guy from reddit, he's been claiming that's the spot for a while now..he claimed that it just happens to be close to the pin location, but seems like such a small and weird site for a supercharger... and not many amenities within walking distance.. I am surprised we still haven't seen any permits if the construction is ongoing, or maybe he could provide pics to prove me wrong.
Like I said the pins don't mean anything. They are just placed at the generic city locations from Google Maps. Navigate from some place nearby to Burnaby and look where the route ends and you'll see what I mean.