Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burnaby, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly Tesla has been doing this for years with the Burnaby Supercharger location. They keep claiming it's coming this quarter, then they bump it to next quarter.

@NSTM3 yeah, they did the same thing with what was originally a White Rock location and eventually turned into the South Surrey location, which eventually went live last week; but as you mention, this was after numerous postponements. On the other hand, they do seem to be picking up steam lately. We've seen a ton either in construction or open for business over the past 14 months or so.

Reactions: NSTM3
Sadly Tesla has been doing this for years with the Burnaby Supercharger location. They keep claiming it's coming this quarter, then they bump it to next quarter. They have a canning ability to build these fast without anybody noticing, so it may pop up, but given this locations trend for the past couple of years, I'd say ... don't hold your breath that it is going to be Q1.

I did notice some unusual construction in the North East parking lot of Metrotown Mall along Kingsway today. However with the massive rebuilding plans of the mall area, it's doubtful that they will install Superchargers there, just to be torn down a year or two later.
In Elon's fashion, supercharger coming "in 2 weeks". :D

Sadly Tesla has been doing this for years with the Burnaby Supercharger location. They keep claiming it's coming this quarter, then they bump it to next quarter. They have a canning ability to build these fast without anybody noticing, so it may pop up, but given this locations trend for the past couple of years, I'd say ... don't hold your breath that it is going to be Q1.

I did notice some unusual construction in the North East parking lot of Metrotown Mall along Kingsway today. However with the massive rebuilding plans of the mall area, it's doubtful that they will install Superchargers there, just to be torn down a year or two later.
In the January and April 2021 updates of "Coming Soon" Superchargers, Tesla had Burnaby with Q3 2021 target. In August 2021 they moved the target to Q4. In those cases the targets were 3-6 months into the future. The latest target is Q1, which gives them less than 2 months to deliver (which is pretty ambitious unless construction is already underway). I say all this because in the last year or so Tesla has dramatically improved the accuracy of their target dates (for Superchargers). They still miss deadlines but in many cases their work is done before the target date but opening is delayed by the utility connection or transformer install. (Besides Burnaby, the only other sites with Q1 targets, in BC, are Cranbrook, Fernie, Castlegar and Chilliwack, all of which are essentially complete with pedestals in place.)

In any event, I will acknowledge that my comments are idle speculation. I should probably move onto something more productive.

I drive through Burnaby from north to south and west to east several times a month, I keep checking some key spots where I think Tesla would build Superchargers and I have a contact at Burnaby City Hall, but so far nothing seems to be even in the works. I caught wind of their Service Center plans from my contact some months ago, but there was nothing evident in the permits for Superchargers. I am baffled by their Q1 2022 claim. One explanation would be that they're being built in some buildings garage, well hidden from the public or in a totally obscure place.

From what I have seen, driving around Burnaby and actively looking for Superchargers or "odd" construction in the middle of some parking lot ... nothing seems to be actively happening. But seeing that Surrey has a garage Supercharger, maybe that's going to be the case for Burnaby too. But doesn't seem to be at Metrotown or Brentwood ... yet!

I drive through Burnaby from north to south and west to east several times a month, I keep checking some key spots where I think Tesla would build Superchargers and I have a contact at Burnaby City Hall, but so far nothing seems to be even in the works. I caught wind of their Service Center plans from my contact some months ago, but there was nothing evident in the permits for Superchargers. I am baffled by their Q1 2022 claim. One explanation would be that they're being built in some buildings garage, well hidden from the public or in a totally obscure place.

From what I have seen, driving around Burnaby and actively looking for Superchargers or "odd" construction in the middle of some parking lot ... nothing seems to be actively happening. But seeing that Surrey has a garage Supercharger, maybe that's going to be the case for Burnaby too. But doesn't seem to be at Metrotown or Brentwood ... yet!
The mystery continues; is Tesla's target date totally inaccurate or is something under construction without being noticed? With the number of Teslas in Greater Vancouver it would be hard for something to go unnoticed unless, as you say, it is hidden in a parking garage. It is rare but I seem to recall Superchargers popping up elsewhere without being noticed until they open. Eventually the mystery will be solved.

Reactions: NSTM3
I was one of the tenants at Eastbrook Parkwqy for many years. I can confirm in March 1st the landlord will be taking over and removing all walls and leveling out the floors. The lease agreement with Tesla is also significant rodent control. There are mice living in the walls, rats have nests in the pavement cracks and a bunny family in the bushes.

On April 1st Tesla gets the keys to start construction

Apparently, it’s in P2 at the Amazing Brentwood.
can confirm!

IMG_2808.jpg

Tesla met their most recent target date of Q1 for this site. Now we can hope that they can do the same for the other Q1 sites in BC; Castlegar, Cranbrook and Fernie. Next up on their schedule in the Lower Mainland (Q3) should be (might be?) Richmond, Delta, Surrey and Maple Ridge.
Charging at Brentwood now ; electrician and tesla staff bringing remaining two chargers online

I have a vintage model S, free lifetime supercharging I paid 2K for at time of purchase. How things have changed.
As a side note, I wonder how much legacy cars negatively affect overall charger throughput/wait times because we charge so slow.

@CFinVancouver oh, so you can afford to pay for the parking then! (You know, since the charge is free of, well, charge.)