Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hines, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the meantime get a Chademo Adapter! it cuts your time in burns from 4-5 hours to about an hour
That would work, if the Chademo wasn't in use (likely, I suppose), although I don't much care to buy a $500 adapter I would rarely use. I have been scoping out an overnight at a state park with RV pedestals. There is also a Tesla destination charger in John Day — since that route is shorter (from Baker City) I would need less to make my destination (it is also more scenic and interesting to drive IIRR).

In the past I have gone all the way to The Dalles and then headed south from there. Burns will be a big improvement over that roundabout route, both east and westbound.

I love the "Winnemucca to the Sea" branding. Who the hell named that? Makes it sound as if throngs of cars are regularly driving from Winnemucca to the Pacific coast.

Paving in the route was completed in the mid 1960's, and it was commemorated as the Winnemucca to the Sea Highway. If you are going to the Oregon coast from Salt Lake City, it is by far the closest and fastest route. I just drove from Klamath Falls, OR to Winnemucca today.. I have a 2020 Model S Long Range Plus. I could not have driven the route in my 2013 P85+. I left the Klamath Falls Supercharger with 398 mi of range. One of the reasons it is so fantastic to drive is the lack of traffic.

Anybody in Bend want to rent me their Chademo Adaptor? Thinking this might be a good audience for this. I need to make the drive from Bend to SLC on October 2nd. Slow charging in Burns to make it the Ontario Supercharger is going to add a few hours. But at $500 i can't see buying it for this trip when the rest the time i'll be in reach of the SC network. Thanks.

Anybody in Bend want to rent me their Chademo Adaptor? Thinking this might be a good audience for this. I need to make the drive from Bend to SLC on October 2nd. Slow charging in Burns to make it the Ontario Supercharger is going to add a few hours. But at $500 i can't see buying it for this trip when the rest the time i'll be in reach of the SC network. Thanks.
You could go through John Day to Baker City. I did that route last time I passed through Bend from Boise and it wasn’t too bad!

Reactions: GHammer
What are you driving? Baker City would add about 1.5 hours each way (including charging) and it's 232 miles from Bend.

The new supercharger in Ontario is no diversion at all, but it's 261 miles from Bend. There's also a 1600 ft. elevation drop. If it were me (driving a S100D with ~310 rated miles), I would simply drive straight to Ontario, start off slow, monitor my battery usage, and adjust speed accordingly. In the other direction, it would be a lot tougher, but I'd probably just do the same thing (except start off even slower!) and plan on hitting the L2 in Burns if it wasn't looking like I was going to make it. This advice is for driving at the current time of year. I'd have to be much, much more careful if I were driving in sub-freezing temps and/or with snow/ice on the roadway in winter.

Last edited:
You could go through John Day to Baker City. I did that route last time I passed through Bend from Boise and it wasn’t too bad!

I did that route, through John Day to Baker City, in the middle of last winter. It worked, though we had to stop for a little while in John Day and charge a bit at the charger at their Chamber of Commerce. (Model 3 LR)

I think (given the time of year) that I'd try going straight from Bend to Ontario at this point. Depends on how cold it is, really... In December - February, I'd be a lot less willing to try until Burns is up & running.

Reactions: PLUS EV and gnelson
It's exactly 210 days after issuance, which sounds like a standard period not something that has changed or been instituted recently. Maybe the web portal just wasn't showing it before for some reason? Like russt, I don't remember what if anything was shown before, either. That said, permit expiration isn't a big deal and the deadline isn't much of a spur to action. Even if they allow it to expire before starting construction, Tesla can just restore the expired permit by paying a small fee. And if they do start, then the expiration date gets reset with a new counter from the date of last substantive progress.

Reactions: Rocky_H