Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hines, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1621398793716.png

1621398809234.png

Some new photos of the site posted to the Tesla Owners Portland Facebook page. Person who posted says they didn't know if it was activated yet and didn't have a car to test.

View attachment 663683
View attachment 663684

Some new photos of the site posted to the Tesla Owners Portland Facebook page. Person who posted says they didn't know if it was activated yet and didn't have a car to test.
Was there today, everthing is completed, transformer is set, meter is set and there is an inspection passed sticker on the meter but no power to the meter. Looks like it is just waiting for Tesla to do the final checks and commisioning.

Interesting there doesn't seem to be any overhead lights at the supercharger, but there are elsewhere in the parking lot. In the past it seemed Tesla almost always added one or two when building out a location.

Interesting there doesn't seem to be any overhead lights at the supercharger, but there are elsewhere in the parking lot. In the past it seemed Tesla almost always added one or two when building out a location.
A refreshing change! Outdoor lighting is getting excessive. I say this while making a living doing lighting design (among other things)... sometimes less is more.

Reactions: GHammer and russt
I really needed this supercharger a week ago on an Alturas to Richland segment since, as always, the Chargepoint charger in Burns was malfunctioning and would not turn on. I was stranded there for a while along with another Tesla using the J1772 in the same lot. No other EV manufacturer is going to succeed if they have to rely on the third party charging network with it's insane reliability issues. I bet half of the non-Tesla chargers that I've tried to use over the years have been broken.

I really needed this supercharger a week ago on an Alturas to Richland segment since, as always, the Chargepoint charger in Burns was malfunctioning and would not turn on. I was stranded there for a while along with another Tesla using the J1772 in the same lot. No other EV manufacturer is going to succeed if they have to rely on the third party charging network with it's insane reliability issues. I bet half of the non-Tesla chargers that I've tried to use over the years have been broken.
Which one was broken, the Chademo?

Yep. I remember being a somewhat new owner (in the first few months) and getting excited that I would soak up some level 2 charging at a zoo so when I was heading out of town I would be fully charged and giving up after 20 minutes and three of the different chargers. I knew I had a supercharger just outside of town and plenty of range to make it. But if I was without the supercharger network, that would have been stressful and really made me worry. I probably would have started to hit chargers when at like 50% battery instead of running it down more (and people think I'm cautions by trying to pull in around 20%). It only takes a couple times having a tricky trip because of non-working chargers to really build a habit of only using 100 or 120 miles of your ~240 mile range before looking for a charger and running it back up to 90% or 100%. That means you're always at the slowest part of the charge and often sitting just as long as if you had pulled in at 10% or 15%.

And we’re the power users posting on the internet about this and hunting down superchargers via permits. Could you imagine if you’re a “normal” mom taking the kids into the city 75 miles away to spend a day at the zoo or museum before heading back home? Even in your 240 mile EV you might be really nervous doing that trip without charging, especially if you know it’s 75 miles away on the highway and you burn 100 or so miles of rated range just getting there…

Chargers need to be super easy, fail into a working mode (if they lose connectivity they just start charging as soon as plugged in, etc), and absolutely insanely reliable, like medical equipment reliable. At least until we have them at every exit along the road and every block in downtown…