Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buttonwillow, CA (10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've asked the moderators to merge this thread with the ongoing thread about the Buttonwillow Supercharger at Supercharger - Buttonwillow which is where this should be discussed. As to the "button willow", maybe it's an Auto Correct issue.
power issues I was experiencing at button willow
For those totally confused as to which button "willow" is and what it has to do with power issues in a Tesla, it refers to the Buttonwillow (capitalized, with a space) supercharger, in a town called Buttonwillow in California. It's not a tesla Button.

Started charge in 1A at ~11%, did 50kW to 30kW at 26%, switched to 2A, started at 96kW (max in a recent 60), now dropping through 74kW (no one else at SC now; was one on 3, 4). Switching chargers definitely helped. Now at 60kW and dropping fast, at 44%. Will switch to 3A.

Now at 3A, getting 98kW. Right choice again. Both 1A & 2A handles and cord near handle were hot when I unplugged. It suddenly stopped. Pic:

IMG_5748.JPG

I unplugged and tried again. 98kW, then same thing in a minute. When unplugging this time, cord very hot near handle but handle not hot.

Switched to 4B, getting 98kW now. This cord not overheating to touch yet. Wiped it with wet wipes anyway. Now at 94kW, and 57% charge. Now at 85kW and dropping fast. Handle getting hot, but not cord so much. Going to let it do its thing without cold towels. Heating up a lot now, at 65kW.

Switched to 4A. Getting 98kW. Dropped to 94kW immediately. At 61%. 92kW, 90, 92, 90. Holding. 89. 90, 89. 88. Watching a clock makes it move slower. Holding at 88. Now 87kW.

So, having an empty SC helps. These cords do heat up a lot. Maybe my socket is dirty.

I'm at 82kW, 68%.

80kW, 70%.

I don't like this. There should be battery swap 24x7 at Gilroy, Santa Nella, Santa Clarita and Santa Barbara or something at a highway crossing. They should swap in slow charging highway specials that go 100kWh, even 130kWh, then you pick up a city special at the other end of I5/101, a 100kWh pack. Coming back, you swap for freeway then back to your original at the original swap spot. Harrison Ranch can reopen 24x7 for oops problems and flexibility. There is enough critical mass now of 60 owners who don't give a frig about whose battery is in their car, and want options that don't +3 hours a trip!!!

Now at 80% at 67kW. I'm getting close to minor taper range. Will leave soon. Saying I can make it to SpaceX with 11%. No way I'll make it. I'm going to try to squeeze more here and do a few more add ons along the way. I see it says Tejon at 59%. Seems reasonable. I'll leave now.

I added 72% in 41 minutes.

These SC stops and driving slower are doubling my trip time it seems.

Last edited:
If you want to continue to discuss this issue of the Buttonwillow Supercharger being temporarily closed, please do so in this thread. It would be great if a TMC member visiting this location today could report on what they see.

If you want to tie this Supercharger closure in with the multiple other Supercharger incidents that have occurred in California in the past five months, I've started a new thread Multiple California Supercharger locations down in past 5 months: vandalized or simple theft?

Otherwise, let's keep the comments in this Buttonwill Supercharger restricted to this specific location. Thank you.