Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buttonwillow, CA (10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, both Bakersfield and Buttonwillow are currently listed as "TEMPORARY CLOSURE" on my nav... :-(

Buttonwillow prob due to similar flooding noted at Bakerfield.
Was driving northbound along US-101 mid-day today, and I saw what I think is the "out of service" icon over both Buttonwillow and Bakersfield as well (not on my route, but still covered by my map view). Didn't look too closely beyond that, but I'm guessing the problem isn't resolved yet.

Stopped their today. Not well marked, it was a bit difficult to find. It is behind the Subway and Starbucks. Pulled into 5B. Only could get 25kw with only one other car there (not associated with Charger 5). Didn't discover this right away. Still new at this. Moved to 4a after 20 min. Got 98kw. I'm going to have to be more careful when I plug in now to see what charge rate I'll get and to move appropriately.

Buttonwillow stop from LA (heading northbound on I-5) isn't the way to go unless Tejon is full. Unless you love Subway or want a Starbucks or a Quiznos, you are better off stopping at Tejon Ranch. Many more food options.

Also, if heading to the Bay Area, you are most likely going to have to stop at Harris Ranch. When I do this again, I'd stop at Tejon Ranch, have more options for lunch, and then head to Harris Ranch. I needed beyond what it said to get home from Harris however so keep that in mind.

Stopped at Buttonwillow yesterday, on way back to San Francisco.
I was alone the whole time! Meanwhile, other chargers in the area were at least 50% full. If all you want is a charge, or don't mind the food options, definitely go here.

I did have a slow charge rate on the first charger I used, I think it was the second from the enclosure.
Once a big rig moved out of the way, I moved to another charger closer to the other end of the row, and got full speed charging.

Charged at Buttonwillow Supercharger on Saturday 17 February 2018. Very high kW fast rate of charge.
The Denny's 24-hour restaurant next door is permanently closed.
According to Yelpi!, it closed two months ago.
Supercharger is in parking lot behind a building that its divided into both a Subway and a Starbucks. The Denny's was next door. I em

Last edited:
It's one of two SCs in the network that I try to avoid religiously for safety reasons (not for me but for my passengers).
I have used the Buttonwillow Supercharger many times over the past few years. I have seen nothing to be concerned about. It is basically a heavily used truck/car gas stop area with typical budget motels. Seems fine to me.

Things happen anywhere, even in the "Nicer areas" of any town. Yesterday I had to stop at the bank. I parked in a spot in front, got out and was approached by a man with the "Homeless" appearance. He may not have been, but he tried to look like it.

Anyway he asked me for a couple of dollars to get some food. I did not have much, after all I am trying to pay for a Tesla, but I gave him $2 and went into the bank. He may have noticed I drove a Tesla, or not. When I finished in the bank I got in the car and way backing out when this same man knocked on the passenger window and asked for $5. This time I said "No Thanks" and continued on my way.

Anywhere you go there are "nice" people, and people that are "not so nice". We do not need to be fearful of using any of Tesla's Superchargers. Besides, you can always carry a Taser or Pepper Spray with you for safety if you do not have a CCW permit.

When my daughter went away to UC Berkeley I gave her a Pepper Spray key Chain for Safety. Now she is a sweet child and would not hurt anyone, but had been taking Tae Kwon Do classes since she was very young and was a Second Degree Black Belt. Anyway, she survived Berkeley, spent a summer in Athens, Greece studying Greek, then did a 2-year graduate course just north of London, England, and is now in Medical School in Israel. In all that time she has never had to use the Pepper Spray, or her martial arts training. Not sure if she was able to take the Pepper Spray with her to Israel, but it was a comfort to know that she was somewhat prepared.

Reactions: ohmman
Things happen anywhere, even in the "Nicer areas" of any town. Yesterday I had to stop at the bank. I parked in a spot in front, got out and was approached by a man with the "Homeless" appearance. He may not have been, but he tried to look like it.

Anyway he asked me for a couple of dollars to get some food. I did not have much, after all I am trying to pay for a Tesla, but I gave him $2 and went into the bank. He may have noticed I drove a Tesla, or not. When I finished in the bank I got in the car and way backing out when this same man knocked on the passenger window and asked for $5. This time I said "No Thanks" and continued on my way.

Anywhere you go there are "nice" people, and people that are "not so nice". We do not need to be fearful of using any of Tesla's Superchargers. Besides, you can always carry a Taser or Pepper Spray with you for safety if you do not have a CCW permit.

I fail to see how that interaction was abnormal (especially in SD) but again, it's a matter of individual perspective and experience, not universal truth. I grew up in Compton and live part time in Del Mar now and have had to adjust quite a bit as you can imagine. Years ago I worked in Jo'burg and had no issues at all, and continue to travel to Africa frequently without any real worry. Certainly there are folks who are scared by the slightest deviation outside of their comfort zone; we are not those people but it would be factually incorrect to say for example that the Downtown Vegas SC is not in a statistically high crime area (good friend is a Metro cop in that area).

Nonetheless, our experience required police intervention and it was our experience at Buttonwillow, so to each their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
Nonetheless, our experience required police intervention and it was our experience at Buttonwillow, so to each their own.

You got pushback because your implied reccomendation to this forum is to avoid Buttonwillow because it is unsafe. I’m sorry you had a bad experience, but the collective data set of supercharger experiences does not support your religious avoidance of Buttonwillow.

Moderator note: Please stay on topic, which for this thread is the Buttonwillow Supercharger. If someone had a bad experience while charging at the Buttonwill Supercharger than that is appropriate for discussion here. Bad experiences while traveling elsewhere in the world are not relevant and will be moved to the Off Topic Forum. Thank you!

You got pushback because your implied reccomendation to this forum is to avoid Buttonwillow because it is unsafe. I’m sorry you had a bad experience, but the collective data set of supercharger experiences does not support your religious avoidance of Buttonwillow.

I certainly don't mind pushback. I'm really not sure what your problem with me or your love affair with the BW SC is but the thumbs down is bizarre - there was no implied recommendation whatsoever, it was an explicit expression of my experience and what I try to do.

Did we ever by chance work together at SpaceX? There was a guy whose initials are BR (not sure what his middle name is) and he was one ornery dude.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bxr140
I fail to see how that interaction was abnormal (especially in SD) but again, it's a matter of individual perspective and experience, not universal truth. I grew up in Compton and live part time in Del Mar now and have had to adjust quite a bit as you can imagine. Years ago I worked in Jo'burg and had no issues at all, and continue to travel to Africa frequently without any real worry. Certainly there are folks who are scared by the slightest deviation outside of their comfort zone; we are not those people but it would be factually incorrect to say for example that the Downtown Vegas SC is not in a statistically high crime area (good friend is a Metro cop in that area).

Not to be argumentative, but you have made a number of posts here without ever actually saying what your bad experience was. It's frustrating for the reader as I'm sure most reading this thread are curious.

I stopped by this supercharger on my way back home from San Simeon and it wasn't a bad experience at 11 PM, just not that safe feeling. I think Bakersfield felt a bit better due to the gas station + IHOP. Starbucks had just closed so no bathroom break that late unless you crossed the street to the gas station.

Not a bad spot from what I could see, but if you aren't used to it....you get some funny feelings when you are the only one charging.

Only having to cross the street to use Gas Station restroom is nothing. Try the Baton Rouge Supercharger in the wee hours of a weekend (twice for us now). Everything closed. Finally found a Motel a few blocks away that allowed us to use their restroom. On our 52 hour I-10 west trek from Saturday noon Jacksonville Supercharger to Monday afternoon arrival home in San Diego I made sure to bring a plastic container that I could use, then empty in the bushes. Worked great when no restrooms are available at the Supercharger. Unfortunately my wife had to wait until we could drive somewhere for her to use.