Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cabazon, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something seems strange to me that a supercharger would be offline and they couldn't send somebody to check it for a week. What is this was a required station for a route on a road trip?
It is a required station for me in my X 75D. Palm Desert, charge at Cabazon to make it to Mojave SC via 215N, 15N, 395N, 58W. Lots of elevation gain. This route is about 20min. longer than I-10 and the Grapevine. If there is an accident on 10 or the grapevine it is about 2 hours faster. Lovely drive

It is a required station for me in my X 75D. Palm Desert, charge at Cabazon to make it to Mojave SC via 215N, 15N, 395N, 58W. Lots of elevation gain. This route is about 20min. longer than I-10 and the Grapevine. If there is an accident on 10 or the grapevine it is about 2 hours faster. Lovely drive

I guess I take a bit of a different spin on "required", especially when you're already willing to give up time for a more pleasant/consistent trip. Back in the day when there were a only handful of superchargers and we had to drive uphill in the snow both ways to get anywhere... ;)

First, I'm surprised your X75D can't make it on one charge. EV tripplanner doesn't have an X75D yet, but even with terrible variables an XP90D calls for 237RM to get from Palm Desert to Mojave...which is ~about your 100% SOC. (That's through Palmdale/Lancaster, mind, which is shorter than your preferred route through Kramer Junction). A 75 with more typical variables and better wh/mi should often get you there in one shot with comfortable margin (>10%).

Next, the RC supercharger is a 17 mile detour from your preferred route, and its time impact will be less than 'going 17 miles out of your way' compared to charging at Cabazon since your lower SOC will allow you to charge faster at RC. It could make a good bailout/backup if the headwinds on 10 really suck your range.

Finally, using the Barstow SC instead of Cabazon--either by going through Yucca Valley or as a bailout from your preferred route--is ~15 miles detour from your preferred route, and that extra time going out of your way will be very much mitigated by the faster charging compared to Cabazon.

• Disagree
Reactions: abasile and beths11
Call Tesla, they can tell you. 877-798-3752
I sent them an email earlier since it isn't urgent.... just figured there would be someone on here that has been by in the last few days to charge. When I plotted out my route the other day all but one charger showed in use, while this morning only 4 or 5 were being used. I have to assume that it is working, but it just might be slower than normal.

I sent them an email earlier since it isn't urgent.... just figured there would be someone on here that has been by in the last few days to charge. When I plotted out my route the other day all but one charger showed in use, while this morning only 4 or 5 were being used. I have to assume that it is working, but it just might be slower than normal.
They just wrote back... looks like I will be good to go!

"The Cabazon supercharger currently has 4 stalls that are unavailable (4A, 4B, 5A and 5B). However, you will still be able to use this Supercharger while on your trip as it does have 6 functional supercharger stalls."

I was told by another Tesla driver when I visited on Feb 24 that outage was due to vandalism, cables all cut. It appeared new cables had been installed but all stalls were taped off, possibly waiting for inspection?
On Mar 1, status changed to "Reduced Service" Now for several days status shows as normal.

IMG_0861.jpg
Two portable chargers containing two chargers each were added to Cabazon since I was here last week. My guess for the holiday weekend

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David99
View attachment 228833 Two portable chargers containing two chargers each were added to Cabazon since I was here last week. My guess for the holiday weekend
I spoke to Ranger Joe while stopping here this morning and he pointed out two Tesla valets and a security guard sitting across the lot awaiting heavy usage. (~1/2 full when I pulled in) He also mentioned the portable units (identified by the cables out the back) are less powerful as they are usually located furthest from the power block. So a total Tesla staff of 4 monitoring Cabazon today.

PS - that the ranger truck at the bottom corner of my photo. Its an ice. :eek:

Cabazon.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
Awesome, looks like a big expansion. I was actually surprised why Tesla put in two Superchargers so close together (Cabazoon and Indio). I take that route often and noticed that both Superchargers turned out to get really busy over time. Looks like Tesla has done a great job analyzing traffic and predicting use.

Reactions: NikeWings
Awesome, looks like a big expansion. I was actually surprised why Tesla put in two Superchargers so close together (Cabazoon and Indio). I take that route often and noticed that both Superchargers turned out to get really busy over time. Looks like Tesla has done a great job analyzing traffic and predicting use.
And the Palm Springs SvC tells me they plan to expand Indio and add another in the Palm Desert area.

Wow, things must have dramatically changed here every time i have stopped here I was the only one or driving by seeing it totally empty. Im all for Expansions but there are sites screaming for expansion. Was at Atascadero this Sunday was 4th in line waiting and only needed 30-40 miles to make it to Harris ranch. ended up with 20KW charge rate :(