Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cabazon, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled in, plugged in and took the dog for a 20 in walk up behind the parking lot and along the ridge.
Returned to see I was only pulling 45kws. :(:mad::confused: Yah, I need to check before walking away.

BTW........the newer stalls are not yet operational and taped off. Tesla sign draped over them says 'Coming Soon'.

IMG_1378.PNG
IMG_1379.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: ProphetM
This place is the worst. Even with 16 stalls it’s not unusual to have a 30 minute wait because everyone goes shopping. The good thing is, when you finally get one it’s generally full speed because the person you’re pairing with hasn’t actually been charging in a while.

45 minutes later, eight of sixteen still here with nobody in them. That means they’ve been parked for at least an hour. I guess the idle fees are worth it!

A new charging experience at the Cabazon station. Yesterday I stopped for a "top off" while driving home on I-10, a busy interstate for those traveling east from the Southern California area There was more traffic than usual due to annual Coachella Valley Music Festival, a popular attraction drawing over 250,000 visitors.

Cabazon has 16 charging stations, all full. However Tesla must have anticipated this heavy usage, and set up an elegant valet operation. A waiting section was established in the parking lot with shade awnings, lounge chairs areas on artificial grass, bottle water coolers, and a DJ providing tunes for relaxation.

New arrivals were directed to Tesla uniformed valet attendants and asked how much charge they would like added to their Tesla. After directing you to a waiting area, they would then take your Tesla to a charging station when one opened up, and return it to you when charged to your specification. All rather elegant.

IMG_5604.JPG
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5606.JPG

This place is the worst. Even with 16 stalls it’s not unusual to have a 30 minute wait because everyone goes shopping. The good thing is, when you finally get one it’s generally full speed because the person you’re pairing with hasn’t actually been charging in a while.

Malls need L2 chargers, not Superchargers. People go there to shop and hang out not to charge.

Even if they have both, it's not going to do much. Tesla owners by default will go to the superchargers first before going to L2. Even if they plan to stay at the mall, they will still go to the superchargers first.

Victoria Garden has both of them. And I rarely see a Tesla charging at the L2 when there are plenty of superchargers available. Some leave it plugin there for over an hour even though it is full and some do move it when it is full.

They need to increase the penalty for those leaving at the SC plugin when it is 100% full. They should do it regardless if the SC is at 50% capacity or not. If your vehicle if 100% full and you leave it there greater than 10 minutes, you should get charged at a rate of 0.50 - $1.00 per minute.

This station is super crowded on the weekend. I don't think there was more than 1 o 2 stalls opened at anytime on Saturday and Sunday. The parking lot was also completely full... the free parking anyway. I saw a guy drove in on an ice car, took one of the Tesla charging there and drove off. And later, drove back in another Tesla to charge and drove off in the ice car. Maybe he works for Tesloop? Do they charge their Tesla's at superchargers? Or could be a local charging 2 Tesla's.

This station is super crowded on the weekend. I don't think there was more than 1 o 2 stalls opened at anytime on Saturday and Sunday. The parking lot was also completely full... the free parking anyway. I saw a guy drove in on an ice car, took one of the Tesla charging there and drove off. And later, drove back in another Tesla to charge and drove off in the ice car. Maybe he works for Tesloop? Do they charge their Tesla's at superchargers? Or could be a local charging 2 Tesla's.

I think locals use this location often. The first time that I charged here was in the fall of 2015. I charged on a Sunday afternoon around 3:00 and again the following Saturday about 9:00 AM. I do not recall the situation on the Sunday charge, but there were about 4 owners plugged in and talking like they all knew each other. When I arrived for the Saturday morning session, there were some people who had showed up simultaneously as I plugged in and invited me to join them for breakfast at the mall. They said that they do this fairly regularly on Sunday mornings--go out for breakfast and grab some electrons at the same time.

I think locals use this location often. The first time that I charged here was in the fall of 2015. I charged on a Sunday afternoon around 3:00 and again the following Saturday about 9:00 AM. I do not recall the situation on the Sunday charge, but there were about 4 owners plugged in and talking like they all knew each other. When I arrived for the Saturday morning session, there were some people who had showed up simultaneously as I plugged in and invited me to join them for breakfast at the mall. They said that they do this fairly regularly on Sunday mornings--go out for breakfast and grab some electrons at the same time.

I didn't know when Cabazon started charging for the indoor parking structure, last time I was there was almost 2 years ago. But used to be you could still easily find a parking space in the open area parking. Now it is like a zoo. If you want to go to the MacDonald there next to the Tesla supercharger, forget about it. Maybe it is a lot better on weekdays.

Oh and to get back to 10 East after charging, you have to go around a double traffic circles. That was fun.... :D It was not easy when one did not look ahead and just follow the GPS on turn by turn.

DE8E597C-1AB5-49F6-913C-CEB62871A0F8.jpeg
I didn't know when Cabazon started charging for the indoor parking structure, last time I was there was almost 2 years ago. But used to be you could still easily find a parking space in the open area parking. Now it is like a zoo. If you want to go to the MacDonald there next to the Tesla supercharger, forget about it. Maybe it is a lot better on weekdays.

Oh and to get back to 10 East after charging, you have to go around a double traffic circles. That was fun.... :D It was not easy when one did not look ahead and just follow the GPS on turn by turn.
There is a much better on-ramp to the I-10 east. Next time head west on Seminole just a couple of hundred feet and turn left to go under the freeway. See the above map.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA