Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cabazon, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traveling in a westerly direction be sure to make an allowance for the strong headwinds when calculating how many miles of charge you need to reach your destination when charging at the Cabazon SC. Traveling at the speed limit of 70mph you will typically lose about 20 miles going through the pass due to the strong headwinds. I suggest charging at least 50 miles over and above the miles needed to reach your destination, if you don't want to wait for a full charge.
Those with a lead foot who insist on breaking the law and speeding above the 70mph speed limit on I-10 in this area will find that they lose a lot more than 20 miles due to the strong headwinds.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Sound advice. There is a reason there are hundreds of wind turbines near this Supercharger; strong, persistent winds. But going eastbound you can achieve amazingly low Wh/mi numbers! :D
Traveling in a westerly direction be sure to make an allowance for the strong headwinds when calculating how many miles of charge you need to reach your destination when charging at the Cabazon SC. Traveling at the speed limit of 70mph you will typically lose about 20 miles going through the pass due to the strong headwinds. I suggest charging at least 50 miles over and above the miles needed to reach your destination, if you don't want to wait for a full charge.
Those with a lead foot who insist on breaking the law and speeding above the 70mph speed limit on I-10 in this area will find that they lose a lot more than 20 miles due to the strong headwinds.

• Funny
Reactions: David99 and jowaldo
5 connectors bent or damaged at this location.

Attachments

• 20191220_160312.jpg
    20191220_160312.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20191220_160314.jpg
    20191220_160314.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191220_160321.jpg
    20191220_160321.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191220_161449.jpg
    20191220_161449.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20191220_161517.jpg
    20191220_161517.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191220_161521.jpg
    20191220_161521.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20191220_161553.jpg
    20191220_161553.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191220_161637.jpg
    20191220_161637.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20191220_161638.jpg
    20191220_161638.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 65
I found a few like this on my recent roadtrip to Palm Springs from the Bay Area. In one of the riverside locations and at the new Rancho mirage Superchargers. Frankly, I think its’ ICE vandalism, that number of bad units at one place can’t just be high wear and tear. Maybe, but not probably.

Reactions: SactoEVer
There are a lot of stalls blocked off at this location, as was noted by @taronwalton1 upthread. More than five aren’t working, including some stalls that are not blocked off. After trying two stalls that were not blocked off and getting an “Unable to DC Supercharge” message in the car, and then finding a stall that did work for me but at only 43kW (another car was charging in the paired stall) I moved to one of the two pallet Superchargers (3 Urban pedestals on a pallet) and plugged in and started charging. But again I got only 44kW despite my X100D battery showing just 95 miles of range left. Seemed low but I left the car there because there weren’t many alternatives.

Fortunately I was there before the stores opened so there were only two Teslas charging, and the parking lot was wide open, leaving my plenty of room to unhitch my trailer.

There are a lot of stalls blocked off at this location, as was noted by @taronwalton1 upthread. More than five aren’t working, including some stalls that are not blocked off. After trying two stalls that were not blocked off and getting an “Unable to DC Supercharge” message in the car, and then finding a stall that did work for me but at only 43kW (another car was charging in the paired stall) I moved to one of the two pallet Superchargers (3 Urban pedestals on a pallet) and plugged in and started charging. But again I got only 44kW despite my X100D battery showing just 95 miles of range left. Seemed low but I left the car there because there weren’t many alternatives.

Fortunately I was there before the stores opened so there were only two Teslas charging, and the parking lot was wide open, leaving my plenty of room to unhitch my trailer.

Just to let everyone know, I personally picked up the damaged cables off the floor and moved the black cones to block the damaged chargers. Plus picked up the trash and walked over to McDonalds to throw it away. The one trash can behind the transformer building is always full so people just leave trash everywhere! Tesla drivers we have to do better and set the example. Don't drop the charging cable or rap it around the pedestal just put it back in the holster. Telsa will notice the charger is not being used and schedule a maintenance window, I assume.

This Supercharger is a dumpster fire.

Showed up today, half the chargers are down and the other half are charging at reduced speeds.

Line of cars for about an hour or more, turning the entire McD parking lot into a total cluster.

People walking out of the McDicks laughing at the losers having to wait for an hour just to get to the charger.

Frankly it's pathetic. Tesla needs to do a better job maintaining the infrastructure.

Luckily I had enough charge to make it to the San Bernardino charger to continue my trip.

This Supercharger is a dumpster fire.

Showed up today, half the chargers are down and the other half are charging at reduced speeds.

Line of cars for about an hour or more, turning the entire McD parking lot into a total cluster.

People walking out of the McDicks laughing at the losers having to wait for an hour just to get to the charger.

Frankly it's pathetic. Tesla needs to do a better job maintaining the infrastructure.

Luckily I had enough charge to make it to the San Bernardino charger to continue my trip.
I rated your post funny because of the “McDicks”

I came through Jan 4th and the situation was the same with I think 9 chargers damaged and unusable. It's been this way since at least Dec 25th and that's totally unacceptable. Esp since this location is heavily used and there were long lines at some times of the week even when most of the chargers were working.

What makes this even worse is you look at the in-car map and it says there are 5 chargers available so you think plenty of room and no reason to detour to Palm Springs. Tesla could be marking chargers as down when they've been unable to charge for 24+ hours but they don't. It's incredibly careless.

I'm not sure why it said there were 5 available when there were 9 down and not used. I think it may be miscounting due to the four temporary chargers being in use. If so, that's yet another issue of carelessness.

There are cones up to mark which chargers are bad but desperate people keep moving them to try the chargers anyway and then they don't put the cones back after testing which makes the situation even worse.

Last edited: