TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger cable a little on the short side?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Asciidv, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Asciidv

Asciidv Member

Has anyone ever thought that the Supercharger cables are a little on the short side when you access them by reverse parking up to them? Fortunately the Supercharger that I use allows to me to side park as no-one else is ever there even though it has 8 bays.

image.jpg

2. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

What was wrong with backing in properly?

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

They're short for a reason. There's a ton of current flowing through those,they're very thick. longer=significant losses and weight.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Your SC makes it easy to back in with those tire stops on the tarmac, and your parking sensors and rear view camera make it simple. Why not utilize them? If you back in properly the cable will reach.

5. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I agree with the OP. I understand the high current and, as such, the need for a short cable but I think another 6" or so wouldn't be detrimental to the high current and would require less perfect parking for those of us who don't do everything exactly as required (without a couple of attempts). I think it's more the design of the stand, and how it fits in the holder as a perfect loop, that requires it to be so short.

6. tstafford

tstafford Member

Wife said the same thing after using several SCs on a solo road trip. Even six inches would help as Canuck says.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've never had a problem in the 23 SCs that I've used. Some you need to back up over the stop rather than just have the stop at the bottom of the camera screen. Others, if you back up over them need to have the suspension lifted or they will scrape the bottom of the car when pulling out (those types never need to be backed over for the cable to reach.)

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

How are you supposed to know when driving up to a Supercharger whether you have to back up over the stop or not?

It would be nice if Tesla would draw a line at the back of the Supercharger spot that says: "Stop here", and you align the camera up with that. They may need different color lines for S/X/3.

9. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Yeah, learn to park backwards......

10. jerry33

Well, the way I do it is back up to where the stop is at the bottom of the screen and the cable will either connect or else I have to back up over the stop. I agree an indicator would be nice.

11. Owner

Owner Active Member

I agree they are a little short for super easy parking. I've learned to really backup far. With the rear camera its easy. But my natural instinct is not to backup that far.

12. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

I never really think about it Kinda like putting on my shoes....

13. Asciidv

Asciidv Member

Although using the reversing camera seems a fine idea, I think it has rained on all the 12 days that I have had the car, except for today when it was snowing. Dirty road spray water seems to hang from the lens so that only a out of focus blur is available. A washer/wiper on the camera lens would be top of my list as a must have accessory. Does the cold climate pack have this feature?

14. jerry33

Unfortunately, no. It would be a very nice-to-have though.

15. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I, as usual, will voice my opinion.

In GENERAL, the cables are good for Length.

HOWEVER!!! In areas of poor weather (Specifically, snow & sleet), I find the cables to be too short. As winter progresses, especially during a winter where we do not get any days with warm ups, so no melts, the snow and ice does build up in the spaces. I find many of the locations do not get properly plowed or have proper snow removal (Spoke to one parking lot plow driver, he said he doesn't like to get close because he's afraid of hitting one of the stations).
    Heck, I've even seen stations (Angola) where most of the stalls were under the Plowed pile of snow.
    A extra 6 inches, or 1 ft, should not cause issues for the superchargers and the current involved, but can make the difference between getting close enough to plug in, or not. I specifically park like the OP did, if no one else is around, or if more then enough stalls are available, or if I can take a end space where I would not be blocking any other stations. Yes, if I block a station, I stay with the car in case someone else arrives.

This is my experience after 80,000 miles, 3 absolutely crazy Wisconsin winters, and use of all 6 Wisconsin stations, and over 50 different stations used throughout the US and Canada.

16. garygid

garygid Member

The low profile tire stops help a lot, since one can safely back over them until the tire touches.
    Then, the rear of the car is usually within about 6 to 9 inches of the curb.

If you are still finding the older high-profile tire stops, perhaps let Tesla know so that they can replace them.

Snow removal is a considerable different issue. How does one handle that ... keep a snow shovel in the car?

17. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

It can certainly be challenging in snowy regions after a snowstorm.
    If you're the sole charger I see nothing wrong with the OP's parking job
    provided he stays with his car while charging.