Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Cable Pins Loose or Missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting experience at a supercharger yesterday in Augusta Georgia. I attempted to plug in my Model 3 but the cable would not insert. Looking into the supercharger cable I could see the two large current sockets and on the inside of each socket a pin. One of the pins was loose in the socket and off center which must have been stubbing against the interfacing surface of its mate in my M3. I could giggle the cable and see the pin moving in the socket. So I moved to another stall and inspected the cable. To my surprise this cable was missing both pins in its sockets. The other 4 cables I checked were also missing their pins in their sockets. Fearing the worst I drove to another close by supercharger and the stall I chose had a cable missing its center pins also. I plugged in and charged without an issue. The pins appear to be electrically connected to the socket in the cable but insulated in the car. If the pin were to break off while plugged into the car future charging attempts at a different location would not be possible if the charge cable still had its pins. I was surprised to find 6 of the 7 cables I checked were missing these pins. I thought I might be going a little nuts and checked my Tesla mobile charge cable at home. It does still have its pins. Do these pins serve any purpose possible related to temperature sensing of the contacts or are they intended to just help guide the contacts during mating?
Thanks

I did the same thing.

I ALWAYS inspect BEFORE sticking public foreign matter into my car ;)

Bent pins, loose pins, BAD. Don’t use it.

But if it’s missing those thin center pins, it will still work fine. Oddly enough. It looks weird.

So is the final verdict that the pins are unnecessary? We’ve seen lots of Superchargers on our current road trip with missing pins. I called Tesla about a few of them to report it as a problem. We’ve avoided those posts thinking it was a problem. But the Tesla employee on the phone the 2nd time we called mentioned to me that he’s not sure missing pins is a problem, but he would document it so that someone who knows for sure would confirm. His comment led me to search on Google & this thread. Unfortunately this thread doesn’t have a complete answer. It would be nice to know…