Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cable / ports different in Canada vs USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, so I currently live in SF and am migrating back to my home (Toronto, Canada) this summer.

I own a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, was debating driving it back or selling it here before I go.

I talked to a local rep and he was trying to tell me the charging port standards are different in Canada vs the US, so I wouldn't be able to plug the car in at a Canadian Supercharger. Also mentioned I would void the warranty on the car if I moved it across the border.

Is he high? As far as I know the charge port is standardized across North America.

There are no differences in charge ports at any Supercharger in Canada and USA. Welcome home (if the borders are open by then).

Also

Many, like me, travel to the USA from Canada, frequently. There are no changes to warranty. As a matter of interest, my 12 volt battery died in Pittsburgh. I had it replaced under warranty in Cranberry PA. They did it while I waited. Awesome.

But, if you are going to stay here and register the car with Ontario plates, you will have to do some moderations (like day time running lights) to get it registered.

Last edited:
Ports are the same, and the warranty is valid in both US/Canada.

There may be items that have to be done to bring the car to Canadian specs before your could register. (Tesla didn't use to support that, but I have heard they do now.)

There are a few threads with details about this.

Ports are the same, and the warranty is valid in both US/Canada.

There may be items that have to be done to bring the car to Canadian specs before your could register. (Tesla didn't use to support that, but I have heard they do now.)

There are a few threads with details about this.

I figured this was the case. I am immigrating back to Canada so they will need to I guess push the "Canadian" software to my car for stuff like daytime running lights.

Good to know the warranty is valid though.

USA/Canada are the same.

Good opportunity to share this table that was posted elsewhere (also shows LHD/RHD differences). Way too much detail for a simple USA/Canada question, but in case anyone is interested...

. LHD RHD
Tesla-US USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan Japan
Type2/CCS2 Europe (excl. UK/Ire), Jordan, UAE UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ
GB/T China Hong Kong, Macau

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and MarcoRP
USA/Canada are the same.

Good opportunity to share this table that was posted elsewhere (also shows LHD/RHD differences). Way too much detail for a simple USA/Canada question, but in case anyone is interested...

. LHD RHD
Tesla-US USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan Japan
Type2/CCS2 Europe (excl. UK/Ire), Jordan, UAE UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ
GB/T China Hong Kong, Macau
I think that all the locations in UAE and Jordan are equipped with American ports on half the chargers, and Russia, and maybe Kazakhstan

Sometimes our school system fails our kids...sounds like the rep thought Canada was in Europe with the CCS standard (and even then there are adapters).
I think the rep was confused about the import rules. Up until 6 months ago, an American Tesla could not be imported into Canada ( except the Roadster). There are about 4 or 5 items missing from a US automobile, to meet Canadian standards, the biggest being day time running lights. The onus of getting a car up to standard is with the manufacturer, and Tesla refused to list the model S or Model 3. There are a bunch of old threads about this

About 6 months ago, they listed the S and 3.....so they can now be imported.
I suspect the rep "mis-remembered" that you couldn't import a US car to Canada.....and put the blame on charging

Reactions: Rocky_H and MarcoRP
I think that all the locations in UAE and Jordan are equipped with American ports on half the chargers, and Russia, and maybe Kazakhstan

I think you're right about the UAE and Jordan ones, since at the time of them being installed they had only just started selling officially (using the European standard) but most of the cars had been bought and grey imported from the USA (so they supported these owners by providing some stalls with the US plug). Russia I believe the only supercharger there was bought and installed privately (not Tesla) but I think it's the same mixture of US/EU.

All of the above I'm not sure if they had the 2nd cable added to the EU standard stalls.

Kazakhstan as far as I'm aware is 100% the European standard (both cable types installed).

Hey folks, so I currently live in SF and am migrating back to my home (Toronto, Canada) this summer.

I own a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, was debating driving it back or selling it here before I go.

I talked to a local rep and he was trying to tell me the charging port standards are different in Canada vs the US, so I wouldn't be able to plug the car in at a Canadian Supercharger. Also mentioned I would void the warranty on the car if I moved it across the border.

Is he high? As far as I know the charge port is standardized across North America.
I half suspect the rep didn't actually know that Canada is in North America, and thought it was in Europe. Shocking, the geographic ignorance of some people, and has been comic fodder for Jay Leno walkabouts in the past.

I half suspect the rep didn't actually know that Canada is in North America, and thought it was in Europe. Shocking, the geographic ignorance of some people, and has been comic fodder for Jay Leno walkabouts in the past.

The sad part he asked his Co worker and he confirmed.

Anyway I called the Toronto Tesla Service / Store and found a super knowledgeable rep. He laughed at the other guys response when I told him the story and said it's not issue to import the car, just the annoyance of paperwork.

Said I might need to change the 4g / cell phone chip to a Canadian one at some point but that's about it.

Reactions: Rocky_H