Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cable stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I 100% for sure can remove my cable with the car locked. I need to test if the phone is close enough for BT range when this happens still and I will do that later. But it is for sure not close enough to unlock the doors (inside in my kitchen).

UPDATE: Someone earlier in the thread said this and they were correct. The Bluetooth distance to unplug your car and to unlock your doors is not the same. This is why I saw the behavior I was experiencing. As a test I just did the following:

1. Went to my car with the phone and verified I could open the doors
  2. Plugged the car into the NEMA 14-50 charger
  3. Turned Bluetooth off on the phone
  4. I could not open the door & I could not unplug the car (expected as you all stated)
  5. I repeated steps 1 & 2 again
  6. I walked into my house in the kitchen about 150-200 feet away and set the phone down
  7. Went back to the car and could not open the car door
  8. I was able to unplug the car (as I had been experiencing)

This was the reason for the misunderstanding of the functionality.

So you guys are freaking me out! I took my phone and made sure to place it out of Bluetooth range of the car and verified that as expected the car is still locked verified by trying to open the doors, charging is complete, and the charger cord cannot be removed. This is the way my early 2018 Model 3 has operated from day one.
Then just to be sure I came back with the phone now in Bluetooth range, opened the back door, and removed the charge cable. Maybe I'm not following but are some of you saying that with your Model 3 you are able to remove your charge cable (after charging complete) from a locked Model 3 without the phone or FOB in close proximity? If that is true that is bad.
My wife just came home and I also verified that I cannot remove the charger cord from the Model 3 if I don't have my wife's phone with me. Pressing on the door handle causes the screen to light up with a message 'Tap key card to unlock' and does nothing to allow the charger plug to be removed. So as I said before to @Joshan, there must be something more going on that is allowing him to remove the charger plug, or there is something wrong with his car (or there is some setting which we are all overlooking).
I know when similar discussions have happened in the past with respect to the Model S/X it has turned out that there was a key fob in the house which was close enough to the car in the garage to allow the car to be opened or the charging plug to be removed even when the person didn't have a key fob with them.

UPDATE: Someone earlier in the thread said this and they were correct. The Bluetooth distance to unplug your car and to unlock your doors is not the same. This is why I saw the behavior I was experiencing. As a test I just did the following:

1. Went to my car with the phone and verified I could open the doors
  2. Plugged the car into the NEMA 14-50 charger
  3. Turned Bluetooth off on the phone
  4. I could not open the door & I could not unplug the car (expected as you all stated)
  5. I repeated steps 1 & 2 again
  6. I walked into my house in the kitchen about 150-200 feet away and set the phone down
  7. Went back to the car and could not open the car door
  8. I was able to unplug the car (as I had been experiencing)

This was the reason for the misunderstanding of the functionality.
ok, thanks, mystery solved. I still find this interesting. With my wife's iPhone, which when it's on the kitchen table is no more than 12 to 15 feet from her car in the garage, I still can't open the car or unplug the charging cable. What type of phone do you have?

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
ok, thanks, mystery solved. I still find this interesting. With my wife's iPhone, which when it's on the kitchen table is no more than 12 to 15 feet from her car in the garage, I still can't open the car or unplug the charging cable. What type of phone do you have?

Whether you get a connection or not and at what distance is going to have more to do with the building materials in your house in the path between your phone and your car than anything else.

Reactions: Joshan
Whether you get a connection or not and at what distance is going to have more to do with the building materials in your house in the path between your phone and your car than anything else.
Yeah, I'm surprised that BT would operate 150-200 feet away. In my case there's just a wood door between the kitchen table and my wife's model 3 in the garage 12 to 15 feet away.

Yeah, I'm surprised that BT would operate 150-200 feet away. In my case there's just a wood door between the kitchen table and my wife's model 3 in the garage 12 to 15 feet away.

That's quite a house lol. Typo perhaps? Wrong units? Inches?

Typical BT range is maybe at max 30meters. Something amplifying the signal from the house to 150/200feet garage?

• Funny
Reactions: JSergeant
Wow....yeah wood should be good. If that's the direct path. I have a wooden door and can get data from my obd2 adapter right in my living room if I stand in a direct path but if I sit on the couch less than a foot back it won't work at all since the direct path will be two bricks walls at that point.

I have a note 8. There are plenty of times my phone "connects" to my car while I'm walking around in the house (incidentally, this also triggers spotify to pop up in notifications). But the car will not unlock. I've never tried removing the charger under these situations, but I have had the phone in my pocket, gone to remove charger, and can't because the phone, for some reason, hasn't connected to the car.

That being said, your body is a crazy good bluetooth blocker. If my phone is in my back pocket and I walk up to the car, there's a 5% chance the car will unlock. Phone in front pocket? Goes to maybe 98% chance it'll unlock.

Technology is so FUN.

Makes you wonder about stuff like radio waves, in proximity to your nards... etc etc.

That's quite a house lol. Typo perhaps? Wrong units? Inches?

Typical BT range is maybe at max 30meters. Something amplifying the signal from the house to 150/200feet garage?
The iPhone X has Bluetooth 5 which does have about 4 times the range:

The Bluetooth 5 spec allows low-energy transmissions to sacrifice data rate for more range. A lot more range: up to four times the range of Bluetooth 4.2 LE, for a maximum of around 800 feet. That’s a theoretical maximum, mind you. In the real world, you can expect much less, though it’s still going to be a huge improvement over older versions of Bluetooth

Bluetooth 5 FAQ: Everything you need to know

• Informative
Reactions: Joshan and bijan
The iPhone X has Bluetooth 5 which does have about 4 times the range:

The Bluetooth 5 spec allows low-energy transmissions to sacrifice data rate for more range. A lot more range: up to four times the range of Bluetooth 4.2 LE, for a maximum of around 800 feet. That’s a theoretical maximum, mind you. In the real world, you can expect much less, though it’s still going to be a huge improvement over older versions of Bluetooth

Bluetooth 5 FAQ: Everything you need to know

Interesting note about Bluetooth low energy range. I have an lg g8 phone and I just noticed that while I can't connect to my car's obd2 adapter from my couch, the Tesla key on my phone which uses Bluetooth LE is still connected from that same position.

Going back to the OP's post. I have charged at Superchargers probably a couple of thousand times all over the US and Canada, and while I've never experienced a stuck charging plug, a couple of times on new Superchargers the plug was very snug and took quite an effort to get it loose; I've also helped out other people at Superchargers who were having difficulty getting the charging plug out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rojer Lockless
Last edited:
Charged at the same charger although a different actual port on the way home and everything works totally fine so not really sure what happened but it sure did suck and quite frankly it was pretty terrifying to realize that Tesla would be more than 10 hours to come out if you ever get stuck at a supercharger to come fix the issue

Not sure if anyone else in this thread recommended it but always check the end of the plug for debris or bits of plastic stuck on the pins. I once found a plastic sleeve on one the pins of a supercharger cable. I didn't have pliers to pull the plastic piece out so I switched stalls. I bet it would have been tough to remove if I had plugged it in.